Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    [QUOTE=outdoorsguy;1124061I did my backyard test a few nights ago with my NX 250. It got down to 29 and my z liners worked ok...but I had to come in and grab my thin, egg crate surfaced ccf about 2 am. My back wasn't really cold, but was getting cool. Then I started getting cold under my AHE Owyhee OQ about 3 am and I finally bailed into the house, chilled, about 5 am. Never really got super cold, but was just uncomfortable enough not to be able to sleep, you know?

[/QUOTE]

To what do you attribute the lack of warmth? Do you think it was just too little insulation in the Z-liner or was it gaps between the pads? Or something else?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I used my TX-250 with the one piece Z-Liner last night. It only got to 49 - 52 but I was totally warm due to the Z-Liner.

The one piece Z-Liner attaches to each gathered end of the hammock with a sturdy velcro loop. Then the liner attaches along the edges of the hammock just below the zippers for the weathershield all along the hammock sides. The Z-Liner is easy to attach and is very secure.

Inside the hammock, there is warmth below and all the way up the sides so that shoulders are warm as well.

There are no gaps. Coverage is total (which means that the pockets are covered too).

I used a sleeping bag inside the hammock but find the sleeping bag to be awkward to use. So much so that I caved in and ordered a top quilt from AHE today. Owyhee with Apex. So, the Z-Liner is synthethic and my top quilt will be synthethic as well. Synthethic cannot pack as well as down for sure, but I motorcycle camp and Jeep camp (rather than back pack) so I can get away with more ounces and more bulk.

I was not able to hang the TX-250 very high (no trees for hanging in my area) and that proved to be a problem. The hammock had to be hung tighter than I wanted and that made it unwise to try to zip the neting and the weathershied in place -- too much strain on the zippers would have been the result. It also meant that the hammock was probably not as comfortable as it might have been with a higher, more relaxed, hang. Also, the Clark suspension relaxed enough that during the night I found my butt on the ground slightly -- not what you want in a hang, I'm sure. I have also ordered the cinch buckle kit from AHE to convert my hammock (plus an M90 pillow while I was at it).

I was impressed enough with the one piece Z-Liner as the below insullation solution that I now plan to travel north, where there are some real trees, to try a hang as soon as the Owyhee and the suspension arrive. It'll be a lot colder but I think it will be just fine.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    velcro loop at gathered end:

Z-Liner velcros to exterior of hammock just below zippers for weathershield:

Not great photos but hopefully you get the idea.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Here is the 1 piece Z-Liner installed on the TX-250:

Here is is, removed from the hammock, folded in half. Bathtub shape:

BTW, I understand that Clark is now looking at Apex to replace the climashield in the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Thanks for the review and the pics. Boy...you are sure right about the trees.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Great to have these pics of the one-piece Z-liner. Could you take one more of the packed / stuffed Z liner, especially next to a 1 gallong milk jug?

One question and one suggestion, as I see you are new / recent.

The Q: Does the insulation / fill extend all the way to the end? I can see that that would theoretically increase total warmth within an enclosed space by a tiny amount. But, for those who might DIY, in truth you more than anything want to stop conductive losses from where your body is. Insulation in the ends is a minimum improvement, but adds bulk and expense.

The suggestion: While the TX looks great strung that tight, unless Clark has changed the cut, you may find it more comfortable hung with more droop / sag. I find the starting point of 5/6 ratio of implicit ridgeline to total length, measurable with the hoops temporarily unstuck, to be better, even if the netting is droops.That droop is readily remedied with a bit of elastic or shock cord, gently pulling back on one or both hoops.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 11-03-2013 at 18:55.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I agree with you about the hang -- too tight. But I had little choice. No trees. Had to hang it from the roof rack of my jeep and a trailer tail gate. Just not high enough.

The entire Z-Liner is insulated.

I think Clark will be switching to Apex after a while and that should result in slightly greater warmth and a slightly smaller pack size. But it's synthetic so it will never pack as small as down.

It sure fits the hammock nicely though -- no gaps at all. I like it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: The 1-piece Z-liner

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    ...I find the starting point of 5/6 ratio of implicit ridgeline to total length, measurable with the hoops temporarily unstuck, to be better, even if the netting droops...
    Sorry for going off on a tangent but Thanks for another nugget of Clark wisdom. The 5/6 ratio and info I've found on HFCJH Forum like an UQ rated at 20° and a companion (1 oz overstuffed) 40° TQ is a versatile combination for a Clark with its weathershield, are good things to know.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I hung my TX-250 from some real trees the other day. Temp got down to 31 degrees at night witn no wind or preciptation.

The good: I was warm with the one piece Z-Liner, an unzipped 20 degree sleeping bag and a wool cap.

The bad: I woke up with pain in the left knee from hyperextension.

My guess is that I messed up by not hanging the hammock an equal distance between the trees and I did not look to see that I had a 30 degree slope on the suspension -- especially on the foot end. I also may have hung the hammock abit too loose this time. At least it was easy to zip up the bug net/weathershield though!

Still learning...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I have been trying to understand the 5/6 implicit ridgeline concept.
    I think the TX-250 is listed at 108.5 inches long. 5/6ths of that would be 90 inches. Are you saying that if the TX-250 had a supportive ridgeline, it would be about 90 inches in length?

With no ridgeline, if I hang the hammock and measure from gathered end to gathered end (hoops down) the length should be about 90 inches and that will provide a proper sag?

If I do that, plus have the hammock hanging with the suspension an equal length on each end and hanging at about 30 degrees on each side -- this would be a good comfort starting point?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast