Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    5/6 = 0.83333..... =83% , the most-mentioned starting point for ratio of length of the hammock over its arc and the distance between points of a real or virtual ridge line.

Many of us hang our Clarks tighter than what will likely deliver most comfort. I wrote likely.

No harm in measuring.

I used a ridge line with a Clark for awhile, one that had extensions out to points to which I attached the ridge line. The extensions were 16" out there so that the outer ends of them, where I attached the ridge line, could be UP there, above the hoops. With an 96" Clark, the overall length was 96 + 16 + 16 = 128, and the ridge line, a whoopie sling, was set to around 105".

At first that seemed like a lot of sag. Then I realized how much more comfortably I could rest on my side with a knee up, or on my back in diagonal.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Kifaru;HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post

BTW, I understand that Clark is now looking at Apex to replace the climashield in the future.
    Great pics! Thanks so much for sharing. My husband has been curious about the z-liner.

From what I understand, Clark is currently using Climashield HL in the z-liner. Are you saying they are making a switch to Climashield Apex in the future? Any word on when that might happen?
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Kifaru;HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Could you take one more of the packed / stuffed Z liner, especially next to a 1 gallong milk jug?
    Yes, that would be awesome. I'd appreciate seeing that picture as well.

So does anyone make a uq with down in it
    That would attach to the Clark with the Velcro
    Instead of the shock cord suspension

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx full
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Re Apex in Z-Liner.
    Clark mentioned to me that they are considering this -- that is all I know.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Kifaru;HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    Re Apex in Z-Liner.
    Clark mentioned to me that they are considering this -- that is all I know.
    Okay, thanks. Maybe I will inquire directly to Clark and see what they say. My husband wants to try the one piece z-liner, but we'd like to hold out for the apex.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Zliner w/2QZQ UQP
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I emailed Clark last night with questions about the Zliner. I got this reply this morning.

(quote)Thanks for your message. It is possible we will change insulation types in the future for our Z-Liner. But it is probably at least a year away. It is unlikely that the changes will result in a significantly different product.
    We have no testing to know how any changes would affect the Z-Liner at this time. We constantly test new materials and this testing will begin soon for insulation and could take up to a year. In the mean time, we have a very good Z-Liner for this product that packs up fairly tightly and is a good
    weight for what it provides.

Regards,

Clark Outdoor (end quote)
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Kifaru;HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I emailed Clark last night with questions about the Zliner. I got this reply this morning.

(quote)Thanks for your message. It is possible we will change insulation types in the future for our Z-Liner. But it is probably at least a year away. It is unlikely that the changes will result in a significantly different product.
    We have no testing to know how any changes would affect the Z-Liner at this time. We constantly test new materials and this testing will begin soon for insulation and could take up to a year. In the mean time, we have a very good Z-Liner for this product that packs up fairly tightly and is a good
    weight for what it provides.

Regards,

Clark Outdoor (end quote)
    Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Blackbird, NX-250
    Tarp
    clark vertex/WB CB
    Insulation
    Pads,Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    knots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    To what do you attribute the lack of warmth? Do you think it was just too little insulation in the Z-liner or was it gaps between the pads? Or something else?
    Passinthru, I slept out again last Friday night in 32 deg to pinpoint what the problem was the first time and why that first time it was a failure. I had seen the threads about cold spots when using z liners but all I knew was, I was cold all over, including my hands and feet.

This time was a big SUCCESS. The z liners worked perfectly...but this is the 4 things I did differently:

1. The first time, I put on just one pair of socks. This time, I put on my thick fleece house slippers over the socks to keep my feet warmer.

2. First time, no gloves. This time, mittens. Big difference.

3. This time, about 9pm, I boiled some water and put it my Army canteen w/ cover. It stayed warm under my UQ til about 0330, when I started drinking it (it was still luke warm). Then I cracked 2 warm hands chem packs to carry me thru the wee hours til dawn, about 4 hours ( and the coldest ones of the night)

4. Wore a thick field jacket.

These changes made the 2nd test a big PASS. My back stayed very warm. And its a good thing too, because the first time I was in my backyard and I went in about 0500 and this time I was in the woods, so I couldn't bail. My conclusion is, if your hands and especially feet are cold, it doesn't matter how warm the rest of you are...you will be miserable and cold the night thru. And it was cold..that isn't fog in the backround of the pics, its vapor coming off the creek because its warmer than the air.

I also was very careful to make sure the z liner was tucked into the sides and corners of each pocket on the NX. If they aren't, then there will be definitely be cold spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you guys tried any alternative insulation?? The pockets could be useful. Styrofoam packing peanuts, just fill and done! Bubble wrap, the ones with the big bubbles, warm and squishy. Heck Clark claims the material is "insect biteproof" pack 'em with Owens Corning building insulation. Eh on second thought I think that fiberglass will get to you. Put an empty ziplok bag in each pocket and fill with spray foam, then hop in before it sets for a custom formed UQ. And I think someone mentioned reflictix already. Wonder how that went? I also remember something about stuffing empty plastic shopping bags into the pockets. How about a sandwich made out of fleece, synthetic insulation, and ripstop? Cut nice thick pieces of memory foam to fit.