Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

Another UCR SLS

Been working on this in my head for a while and finally have it to the point that I could get some photos. Started off with 50' of 7/64 amsteel in the black and cut off approximately 35' for the main line of the Single Line Suspension.
    A UCR was fixed thru one end loop of each tree hugger with the tail buried 6" then the SLS was buried for 9" in the UCR leaving enough tail on the UCR to tie a taut line hitch and finish the ends.
    At a point 81", not an fixed measurement just what had worked on the last rig, either side of the center point of the SLS two additional UCR's were installed for hammock suspension. These UCR's started out at 24" with 6" of bury in the SLS and enough to allow 9"of bury of the hammock tail in the UCR and the extra used for taut line hitch and to finish the ends.
    The hammock tails are 48" including the eye loop which attaches to the hammock with soft shackles and finished ends. At this point the UCR SLS is complete except for permanently attaching the Tadpole to the SLS with Zingit prussiks.
    Still need to stitch lock some of the buries, finish ends and replace the orange tree huggers but the initial impression is favorable.

Now on to the photos:
    #1- Mesh bag with tree huggers, SLS and tarp altogether came in at 19.2 oz. This is without 4 Y stakes which I'm considering leaving out and just using sticks collected in the woods. With the Tadpole weighing 11.5 oz. this leaves the SLS and bag at under 8 oz.
    #2- The time it took to start the stopwatch, walk to tree while opening sack, attach tree hugger with soft shackle, walk SLS and tarp out of sack and connect other hugger. Probably need to average best of 3, may have just gotten lucky.
    #3- The time to hang hammock from hammock tails with soft shackles. The hammock was laying out and not packed so would take a bit longer in the woods.
    #4- Tree hugger soft shackled back on itself.
    #5- The end of the UCR permanently fixed thru loop of the tree hugger. An idea offered by Borntoroam. Makes it impossible to leave huggers in the woods.
    #6- UCR with SLS entering from right, sorry didn't get the tail leaving the UCR, and the taut line hitch to lock the UCR. Was having a problem with slipping maybe because the amsteel was new but this is an easy fix.
    #7- The hammock UCR. The line hanging is the hammock suspension thru the UCR. Didn't get the taut line hitch at the end of this UCR in this photo but it is there and needed. The yellow zingit is the tarp prussic.
    #8- Soft shackle connecting the hammock suspension to the hammock.
    #9- The unloaded hammock.
    #10- The well loaded hammock.

Looking forward to putting this thru some real life use this season but first impression is favorable. I like having the tarp and suspension carried separately and outside the pack. They can get wet and dirty during use over a trip. The quick deployment makes it handy if necessary to sit out a shower. And there is no hardware, sorry Dutch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I am scared for you after seeing those soft shackles. But it seems to be working. I use them on my tarp SLS but stop there. Other than that, I think you have a pretty solid setup. That's just my two cents.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thank you CodyL. Used those same soft shackles on the last version of the SLS all of last season and for almost 3 months nightly this past summer. They are also 7/64" amsteel and the only failure I recall was reported by BillyBob58 and IIRC it just opened and didn't actually fail. When climbing in the first time I was more concerned about not having stitch locked the tails on the hammock UCR's and the loops at the huggers.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I like it! Love the time!

My last hang revealed the problem of trees too close.

Was able to attach directly to the tree huggers but that demonstrated the advantage of a python-type strap.

Then, I've wondered about a SLS in 1/8" material with one UCR in the middle above the hammock and fixed loops to connect with the hammock ends after passing through tree strap loops.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thanks Mike. That's an interesting idea you have. A single adjustment point with the single UCR and no load on the suspension until you climb into the hammock. I can see where the hammock would be fairly high when unloaded and then sagged into the hangle when loaded. My hammock is between waist and chest high unloaded and drops to a foot to 1.5 ft when loaded. Which necessitates tarp tensioners. Would your tarp be attached to the UCR or hung separately?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Thanks Mike. That's an interesting idea you have. A single adjustment point with the single UCR and no load on the suspension until you climb into the hammock. I can see where the hammock would be fairly high when unloaded and then sagged into the hangle when loaded. My hammock is between waist and chest high unloaded and drops to a foot to 1.5 ft when loaded. Which necessitates tarp tensioners. Would your tarp be attached to the UCR or hung separately?
    I've been hanging it separately but would like to try your Zingit prussic knots and tensioners for that.

One could put a water bottle or something in the hammock when setting up to get things close, take some guess work out of it.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    After hanging the suspension I just grab the center of the SLS and hang from it then retighten the UCR's. Once the hammock is hooked in I slowly ease my weight on to the hammock and retighten. That is one thing I like with the UCR's, after loading they are still easy to release where the whoopies on the last version weren't.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mike, is this similar to what you were describing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Mike, is this similar to what you were describing?
    Exactly.

Would it work, you think? You've got tension from both ends. That means the inner buried line would grow smaller as loaded while the outer constriction was trying to clamp down on it. ???

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I don't see why it wouldn't. As far as tension, until you climbed into the hammock there would be none or it would be negligible. Unloaded the only load would be the weight of the hammock and bedding. Maybe 10 lbs at the most. Some tension on the UCR would be needed with taut line hitches or equivalent just to keep it from sliding while unloaded. I don't see how the tarp could be attached to the UCR as in mine. When guying the tarp it would just be pulled toward the ground until the hammock was pulled up and horizontal. Make any sense?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast