warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE

sleeping bags!!!!!!!

what would be a good choice for a 3 season sb, weight, temp range, price, features, down or synthetic. packability. any suggestions would be great, this bag will be used in a hammock (wb bb) with a mac cat deluxe spinn!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If I remember correctly, the Western Mountaineering bags are pretty popular. You'll probably find that most folks pull the bag over them as a quilt unless it's pretty cold.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    i have a sierra designs rated for 15 I've done zero in it and been fine (i was unfortunately on the ground though) it weighs about 2 pounds and its smaller than my blue walmart pad in the small bag (it comes with a nice big mesh bag for storage). my father also has a sierra designs that i like. but that's just my opinion

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspl1092 View Post
    i have a sierra designs rated for 15 I've done zero in it and been fine (i was unfortunately on the ground though) it weighs about 2 pounds and its smaller than my blue walmart pad in the small bag (it comes with a nice big mesh bag for storage). my father also has a sierra designs that i like. but that's just my opinion
    If you are not going for a cottage maker or an otherwise "special" (i.e. made in USA) product, I would second this suggestion. I think Sierra Designs has a great feature/price ratio.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a fan of big agnes bags in hammocks

The proper bag for a hammocker is a Feathered Friends Rock Wren or the warmer Winter Wren. I used to believe they were warmer than a top quilt of similar loft, mainly because of the integral hood. I finally aquired a No Sniveler and a JRB Hood. The No Sniveler has the same 2in baffles as the standard Rock Wren. I can take the No Sniveler just as low as the standard Rock Wren, about the low twenties for me. I believe the Wren would be warmer for me ON THE GROUND only, due to tossing and turning and the resulting drafts. So, unless you forsee a genuine need to sleep on the ground, just get proper quilts. If you do order a Wren, I'd order it overstuffed a couple of ounces and with a 50 long zipper (standard is 36, IIRC) to enable its use as a quilt, sometimes it would be TOO warm on your legs.

I have a Big Agnes Fishhawk (30F down bag) and a Campmor 0F down bag. For the price the Campmor bag is nice quality and I would certainly buy another. I've used the Fishhawk in temperatures down to 26F in my hammock using CCF pads and also Exped downmat and was comfortable as long as I was wearing clothing in layers (e.g., polypropylene or wool leggings, long sleeve shirt, etc.). I've not had any appropriate cold weather recently to test the Campmor bag.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I have a Sierra Designs 30* fastbag quilt. Love It! Down, with no bottom insulation. Works great in a hammock with a UQ (or I suppose a pad.) I also have an 40* synthetic exped wallcreeper. Another excellent 3 season bag in a hammock if you have a UQ, because of the drawstring bottom. It allows you to "wear" the bag before you enter the hammock. 3rd choice is my North Face alleghany bag. Rectangular bag, so I can use it as a UQ in a pinch when really warm, or vent very easily. A rectangular bag is easier to maneuver in and vent, for me, inside a hammock as well. I would not use these in real cold weather. I used the sierra designs at Mt. Rogers, with a Katahdin UQ as an outer layer and my Thermadrape UQ as a VB, and was HOT all night. That was at 10*. I use the Sierra Designs often, and I use the exped in the summer, mostly.

• + New Posts