DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Upgrades for Clark hammock suspension

I'm looking for some ideas to upgrade the standard Clark hammock suspension. The best thing I've come across so far is a chain link in the hammock ends with a descending ring along with whoopies. Are there aNy other good methods someone can tell me about? I'm also interested in straps as long as they don't weigh too much. I don't know how you would attach straps to the hammock and have a break for drips.

I currently own some 7 foot tree straps, two 12 ft whoopies, two lightweight biners and two toggles. After just two uses the whoopies look pretty beat up to me. They're still fine but it makes me wonder about using them long term.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Swapped out original suspension ropes with buckles and attached continuous loops from Dutch
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

This may sound a bit overboard, but this isn't an ultra light hammock to begin with, so I have the continuous loop larks headed onto each end of the hammock. I have a cinch buckle from Dutch with a continuous loop which also has a whoopee hook on it. I use 1500 lb. 1" polyester straps. If you want to leave everything together the little hooks stay in place very well, and if you want to separate the hammock and straps, piece of cake. This make it so easy to set up and adjust and take down, wish I had done it long ago.

I use straps and cinch buckles. super quick set up and easy adjustments if necessary. Not the lightest but super simple.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for the comments. I just learned about the cinch buckles and continuous loop today. That looks like a good option. I'd like to be able to disconnect the suspension from the hammock so I don't have to put wet or sappy stuff in the same bag as the hammock. It would also be great if the disconnect point served as a break where water could drip off.

Has anyone run a short (10 -12") polyester strap with loops on both ends through the hammock channel sort of like you would do with a continuous loop. I like the idea but I don't know if it would fit and move freely in the channel.

Also, I'm a little leary of putting hardware on the hammock side that will get packed up with the hammock due to concerns about the metal pinching poking or tearing the hammock or netting when its stuffed. Has anyone had any issues with that or am I being too careful?
    Last edited by litetrek; 09-18-2013 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I just learned about the cinch buckles and continuous loop today. That looks like a good option. I'd like to be able to disconnect the suspension from the hammock so I don't have to put wet or sappy stuff in the same bag as the hammock. It would also be great if the disconnect point served as a break where water could drip off.

Has anyone run a short (10 -12") polyester strap with loops on both ends through the hammock channel sort of like you would do with a continuous loop. I like the idea but I don't know if it would fit and move freely in the channel.

Also, I'm a little leary of putting hardware on the hammock side that will get packed up with the hammock due to concerns about the metal pinching poking or tearing the hammock or netting when its stuffed. Has anyone had any issues with that or am I being too careful?
    The one I described unhooks from the hammock, no hardware left. 7/64 am steel is much stronger than needed, and it functions perfectly in the channel.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    old4hats,

I like your design but I'd rather not use whoopie hooks ... personal preferance I guess.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ

Clark Suspension Upgrade

I use 2 continuous loops at the head and foot which connect via camp nano carbiner to an adjustable structural ridge line (UCR). those connect to my tree straps that have UCR's girth hitched to them, and a dutch clip on the other end (6 ft straps). Whole thing is dynaglide except for the straps. Its the lightest thing i can come up with, and I've attached the clips for the bugnet (clark tropical ultralight) to the ridgeline via bungie cord prussic knots. My whole hammock set up (not counting tarp) is 26 ounces, which is the same as my DL blackbird. I don't think you can get a clark much lighter than that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustbusiness999 View Post
    I use 2 continuous loops at the head and foot which connect via camp nano carbiner to an adjustable structural ridge line (UCR). those connect to my tree straps that have UCR's girth hitched to them, and a dutch clip on the other end (6 ft straps). Whole thing is dynaglide except for the straps. Its the lightest thing i can come up with, and I've attached the clips for the bugnet (clark tropical ultralight) to the ridgeline via bungie cord prussic knots. My whole hammock set up (not counting tarp) is 26 ounces, which is the same as my DL blackbird. I don't think you can get a clark much lighter than that.
    26 ounces for a clark is pretty impressive! I've got a TX-250 with weathershield and vertex tarp. Its a little heavy and I'm looking for a place to save a little weight. Also, I don't like the bulk of the stock suspension.

Please help me out, I don't know what you mean by a "camp nano caribiner" . Is that just one of those lighter, smaller caribiners (I've got a couple of those)? Also, I spent some time today trying to figure out exactly a UCR is. Please explain. I concluded a whoopie sling is a certain type of UCR but I'm not sure I got it right. I don't know the girth hitch but I can look it up.

Please let me ask one other thing. Do you have any trouble with the continuous loops pulling out since there is nothing but friction holding them in place when the hammock is stuffed? It seems that they would slip off fairly easily and be difficult to re-install in the field.
    Last edited by litetrek; 09-18-2013 at 18:35.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just threw standard whoopies in there. I'm a pretty heavy point load and haven't had any issue with it. Even setting up in the rain with wet lines has not caused any slipping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast