Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Securing your campsite

What are you guys' thoughts about campsite security when hammock camping? When I was in a tent I could always lock my tent up to make sure no one was messing with my stuff when I was off doing something else. I know if someone really wanted to get the stuff they could rip open the tent, but it'd keep most people out of my business unless they just were looking to steal things.

I recently camped on an island and there were a lot of boaters coming and going, and several other camp sites around. Never really felt comfortable leaving hundreds worth of camping and kayaking equipment unattended. Since I didn't have a tent I could lock up so atleast my more valuable gear was out of site, I felt a bit like I was just leaving all my stuff out in plain sight. What do you guys think about leaving your sites in a situation where there's other people around?

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Only takes me a min, to break camp down.. If I am leaving and nobody is there to watch the goods, I take it with me.. Other than that , I will stealth camp..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I guess it depends on where you are. Out here I pretty much never worry about it. Sure I don't leave stuff like a camera just laying around...but folks back on the trail are usually not the folks you worry about around here. I don't normally camp in campgrounds, don't normally camp near cities and folks our here tend to respect each other enough to not mess with other folks gear. When I camped at a campground near Salt Lake City last summer I broke camp in the morning, and took all my stuff with me in the car for the day. Just depends on the situation.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    folks back on the trail are usually not the folks you worry about around here.
    I agree that the people in the backcountry aren't likely to be thieves. Even in park campgrounds this is mostly true. I just made a decision years ago that I would rather have some stuff go missing occasionally than live every day spending my time and energy defeating bad guys (who may never show up).

Same approach when I get home. Use a little common sense and precaution and then get on with my life without obsessing that 'my stuff' might grow legs.

That being said, it might be easier because I've never been a victim camping or backpacking. Has anybody else had bad experieinces?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Securing your campsite

Shoot the first person that gets close to camp... Word will spread...

But seriously I usually just try not to get out of eye sight of camp... If I have to, I limit time away or take my stuff with me... It is situation dependant...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I camp very light so it's not hard to break it down and take it with me. I do like the "shoot the first one and the word will spread" technique!!! I think I'll use it with my daughter's boyfriends......
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

I've never had a problem with it and haven't given it much thought, really. I guess I just don't leave much of value behind. If I'm in a campground, I can lock things up in the car and there are typically enough people around that someone would see someone stealing. If I'm hiking, I've got it with me.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    ALPS Mnt Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Str
    Never had a problem leaving things back at camp, just take precautions, don"t leave cameras, valuables, etc laying around. I feel things are safer at most campgrounds than anywhere.
    Last edited by BamaFan; 09-24-2013 at 11:39. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    I'm pretty austere when I go out. I'm not carrying much since I'm backpacking. I did find my tent ripped up once in the Catskills but I think it was a critter after food. I stealth camp so it seems there isn't much of a problem. Since I pack light everything goes with me. Did I say stealth? Yep, there may be a problem even for me to come back and find it if I leave everything. Once along the C & O Canal i herd someone or something messing with my pack but who or whatever it was took off. That was a time when my pack and gear were worth hundreds of dollars, but not today.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    We do a couple music festivals each year. Even with 50,000 people in tents and campers, as well as more hammocks turning up each year, never encountered a problem. In fact we still bring a small dome tent, as do others, just in case someone else encounters shelter problems.

It is car camping for the most part. One of the few times weight and amount of gear, don't figure heavily into the equation, when heading out. I probably worry more about my car left at trail heads, where it's easily accessible by another vehicle. I usually try to leave it unlocked and with some water and some snacks left in plain sight.

It's a 13 year old Honda, stock am fm radio and really nothing except a pair of jumper cables of any immediate value, so you cut your loses as much as possible, paired with a little good will and faith. Hope for the best and forget about it, until you get back.

In the back country, I've never had a worry or problem. Just camp out of sight out of mind.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast