Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I almost bought that same setup, but then I found Wiggy's. He's got the same concept going, but does a much better job. I couldn't reccomend them enough, just great bags. Moisture is afraid of these bags! Made in the USA too.

www.Wiggys.com

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I'm moving from the green bag to a quilt set up. I did the bag/mat/bivy and it worked ok in 30* temps. Pain in the *** to get into. The nice thing about the green bag is the zips, you can tear into them like the hulk and they take the abuse. The zips run either way so you can vent. The green bag is light enough for a synthetic and fit in the bottom of my 75l Baltero with room to spare.

Like the others have said, layering is the key for that bag. I am thinking about chopping it up and making it into a warmer weather quilt.

Re: Anyone familiar with the military 4-piece sleeping bag system?

I love the 4 piece sleep system. It's just so versatile. I actually bought a bunch of them at auction and sell them on Craigslist. They're phasing them out so they're almost always in perfect shape. I sell mine for 100 bucks each.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    what is the military replacing them with? (you said they are being phased out)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Jacks R Better BMBH
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    TriGlide and strap
    I can personally say that the numbers they put on theses bags are survival only. I had the complete system together while I was on the Mainland and I was quite chilly all night. Of course, I was wet and cold already, and alone in a two man tent, which is meant for two people to warm the entire tent. Learning occurred.

As for the new system they are phasing in, as my understanding goes, it's a three season bag. Small bag, bivy sac, happy suit. The suit it awesome, I used in when we were deployed. Like a wearable sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie
    New to the hammock world but I use the MSS a lot I think it's great for 0 to -10 sleep many nights in one. Thinking about trying it in my hammock??? Feed back welcomed!

Perhaps phasing it out was an incorrect description. The woodland camo version is being replaced by a 5 piece ACU system. I'm buying up the 4 piece woodland camo modular sleep systems at auction. The newish system is the Army acu digital grey looking system that actually contains 5 pieces, the extra bag is an extra smaller stuff sack. The bags are slightly lighter weight but still made of the same materials so they may not be as durable. It is most noticeable with the bivy sack and intermediate bag. Be careful if you're buying the newer 5 piece ACU MSS used. I bought some at auction and got burned. Because the new system is still in use DRMO only gets rid of damaged bags. The woodland camo 4 piece systems are being sent to auction as soon as their returned. I ended up with a ton of bags that still had tags on them. Only a few bags showed sings of wear and only 2 damaged bags out of probably 100.

This wasn't meant to be an advertisement but if anybody is looking for one of these systems feel free to PM me. I have 5 or 6 systems left. Even if you don't want to buy one from a guy on the forum I have a lot of experience with them and can answer any questions you may have.

I'm seeing these pop up all over the place here lately. My question is what is the fill? Synthetic or down? I'm thinking about getting a few for the family, and started wondering about modding them for under/top quilt use.

Synthetic fill. I primarily use the patrol bag late spring-early fall. When Temps go below 40 I'll switch to the intermediate bag. The bivy has an unintended awesome use. You can fit your sleeping pad down in it then put your patrol bag in on top and you stay snug, warm, dry and don't have to chase your sleeping pad around all night.

I'm fairly new to hammock camping so I'm not sure what parts of the system work best for that application. I pretty much have only used the patrol bag while hammocking. As with anything in the hammock an under quilt or sleeping pad is needed when it gets colder.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    what is the military replacing them with? (you said they are being phased out)
    Wiggy's also makes bags for some of our military....

This bag was originally made for the Ecotat Company when they sold their shelter (which we sell now) to the military.
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=299
    Made for the U.S. Air Force survival kits
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=305
    I was working with a Marine Corps major in 1989 till 1992 when he was reassigned. He personally used my bags as he was a mountaineer. When the gulf war was immanent he asked if I could make a bag that would fit a particular pocket of the ALICE backpack. The bag was the Desert bag. He ordered 200. A down sized version of the Nautilus. 80 inches long, 31 inches wide at the top tapering to 27 inches at the foot. The war ended very quickly so they were never sent to the Middle East, instead they were sent to 29 Palms, CA. Marine base. They spent 30 days in the field. Imagine my surprise when I found out 200 young men all wearing the same clothing, eating the same food, involved in the same activity for a month. The lowest temperature they encountered was 28 or 29 degrees F. All were very happy. A test of a product in the civilian world like that is impossible
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=57

I've seen other text like that mostly in the news section but not sure how to find them....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast