Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by schaapj View Post
    That mason line is fun stuff to work with isn't it? I recently made my own first tie outs with it as well and really like it.

Not sure what method you use to attach to your stakes but I've been using this one and really like it: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/tarp-guyline-system/

It works really well with mason line.
    Nice, thanks. Right now I am using some micro line locks. Tiny triangles that allow foot knot less adjustment.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    You did lock this, did you not?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Yes, believe I did. Tested with as much pulling tension as possible with my own two hands. Locked tight, no stretch or squirm at all. For tarp tie outs/ tie downs this process will work well, I'm sure.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Yes, believe I did...
    Just to be sure...locking is done with a Locked Brummel or Lock Stitching and prevents the bury from being able to work it's way out when the eye is not under load.

The bury will always hold tight while under load.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I did neither of those, and have been attempting to work the first one that I made loose and I don't think it is going to budge. If I do end up seeing a need to lock them I will likely use either the Brummel or Whipping methods, both are methods that I've used in fly fishing loop making, and loop to loop connector fixing on fly lines. When using hollow braided line over a fly line we often "lock" it with extreme pull pressure, and for lighter line setups this adequately sets the hollow braid onto the flylines. In some cases there is no need to whip or nail knot over the braid, but most of the time we do use them. The amount of pressure I used to "set" the eye and tighten the outer braid over the inner bury seems impressively solid. I'll watch them to see if this application actually requires anything more. I'm sure there have been live situations of these coming undone, but for tarp tension and limited load needs I'm not really sure that I'm too concerned about any bury slipping out. Even if that were to happen, then instead of a knotless system, I have to tie a knot. That is why I started by playing with the mason line for tarp stuff, no live load bearing and just a project to fill some idle insomnia time.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...When using hollow braided line over a fly line we often "lock" it with extreme pull pressure...
    And I imagine this will work well for you with the masons line. I wasn't aware of this.

As I'm more familiar with larger line, I wanted to make sure we all knew the others intent.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Larger line has me a bit intimidated, so I'm playing with this lighter stuff. I figure adding a whipping of nylon or Dacron would be pretty easy.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I'm not sure about mason line, but with Amsteel you need to pay attention to the ratio of the thing you're going around that the length of eye. If it is less than 3:1 you can reduce the strength of your line. Just something to keep in mind.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Larger line has me a bit intimidated...
    From past threads, I think most of us find larger lines like amsteel are easier to work with. It's easy enough to undo any mistakes and do it over if neccessary, but I doubt you will ever need to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12