WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Top quilt or Under quilt?

I've ordered the fabric for an under quilt but am having second thoughts about whether i should make a top quilt instead. Eventually i will make both, but I'm at a dilemma on which on i should make first. Any suggestions?

What about making a under quilt with velcro for a footbox so it can be used as a top quilt?

Is it just better to have a dedicated one for each or should i make my first multi-purpose?

Thanks

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I would make the UQ first. You can use almost anything as a TQ...blanket, sleeping bag, quilt, etc., but UQs are more specific. You could use a blanket as an UQ I suppose...but a real UQ rocks!
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY 1.5 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ & DIY 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    +1 on the UQ first. Having a cold back/but sucks. Not sure that I've ever been cold on top, other than my feet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree that the UQ should be first. Lots more convective heat loss from your back vs. your front. As mentioned, top quilts are easier to improvise from gear you may already have such as an old sleeping bag.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 SL "Black Bird" Clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Do you plan to make uq and tq the same temp rating? And how warm are you planning? What insulation do you currently have?

My planned system is a dedicated 20F uq (just finished diy), 20F tq (sleeping bag I already have), 40F convertable TQ/UQ (planned), and a single layer PLTQ. This should allow me to camp anywhere from summer heat to below freezing.

I made the UQ first because its getting cold, and I have cold weather top insulation already

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    A lot of people already have or have access to a sleeping bag of some sort.

It's the UQ that is the "specialized" insulation item concerning hanging, and should get to be first in line. IMO.
    You got your cold dog soup and rainbow pie
    It's all it takes to get me by
    Fool my belly to the day I die
    With cold dog soup and rainbow pie

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Marmot trestle 15 degree synethic mummy bag now, and I have an Exped down mat 5 lite which is rated to 10 degrees. I've used them together in my Eno single 1 night that got down to 38 degrees and was so toasty warm. So I feel pretty confident that I have either area covered for the time being.

I'm thinking when I make a dedicated top quilt I will use Argon. I've heard nothing but good reviews and would like the softness on me.

I guess what I'm wondering is, would it be stupid to make an UQ that is 50" wide and 80" long with Velcro for a foot box if I wanted it?

I should be receiving my WBRR within a week or so. I looked at warbonnets dedicated for the WBRR and it seems its only 33" wide. I think i would like mine to be closer to 40" to help with drafts. But if I go to 50" to have a product that is multi-use is it excessive and unneeded.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Underquilt first for warmth. That said I love my Enlightened Equipment Revelation X Top Quilt. Never go back to a sleeping bag again.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincethebutcher View Post
    I guess what I'm wondering is, would it be stupid to make an UQ that is 50" wide and 80" long with Velcro for a foot box if I wanted it?
    Not really at all, and I don't think you need to go that wide with it. Take a look at Jack'sR Better's No Snivler line of wearable quilts. They were originally designed to be used either way, and do a pretty good job of it. Also allow you to leave a down jacket or vest at home.

Rolloff
    You got your cold dog soup and rainbow pie
    It's all it takes to get me by
    Fool my belly to the day I die
    With cold dog soup and rainbow pie

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the quick responses. Its awesome.

I guess I'm leaning towards a dedicated UQ. Probably more efficient in the long run. Is 40" to wide for a WBRR? I would like to inhibit draft as much as possible. Is this more a job for TQ or sleeping bags rather than UQ?

Also I'm kinda confused about what draft tubes are and there purpose. I keep seeing people talk about them but am just not getting it.

Thanks again