Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!
    Great ideas from everyone, I will be figuring a way to strap the tarp to my pack tonight. I do have snake skins on the tarp so I am hoping that makes it a bit faster for setup. (Have yet to use them). I also like the shoe string idea for a drip line. Unfortunately I think that is going to be much needed. Will 550 cord work well for that? I never paid much attention to how well it absorbs and draws water....

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Awkward Sportsman View Post
    Great ideas from everyone, I will be figuring a way to strap the tarp to my pack tonight. I do have snake skins on the tarp so I am hoping that makes it a bit faster for setup. (Have yet to use them). I also like the shoe string idea for a drip line. Unfortunately I think that is going to be much needed. Will 550 cord work well for that? I never paid much attention to how well it absorbs and draws water....
    It should, but a strip cut from an old cotton T-shirt or pair of socks will work better. The cotton really loves that moisture...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    the string isnt to absorb, its to redirect the rain running down your suspension. with my setup, my whoopies get a half hitch that happens to fall under my tarp, so that works. i also have a descender rings as a last ditch right in front of the hammock
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    the string isnt to absorb, its to redirect the rain running down your suspension. with my setup, my whoopies get a half hitch that happens to fall under my tarp, so that works. i also have a descender rings as a last ditch right in front of the hammock
    Got ya, I understand it is there to reditect the water, but my understanding was that an absorbent material would draw the water to it and down. At least thats what I though, good to know I can use something other than cotton. I've got plenty of extra cordage in the pack to make something work. Thanks!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Awkward Sportsman View Post
    Got ya, I understand it is there to reditect the water, but my understanding was that an absorbent material would draw the water to it and down. At least thats what I though, good to know I can use something other than cotton. I've got plenty of extra cordage in the pack to make something work. Thanks!
    Almost anything will work. The problem is when using suspension other than a hydrophobic type line, the water goes down the inside of the line as well. That's where the cotton comes in. It helps to draw the water out of the line and down to the ground.

Good luck and take a waterproof/resistant camera with you. I really want to see these pics/video of the rain setups.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I use a Single Line Suspension on which the tarp is permanently attached and all stuffed in a mesh bag on the outside of the pack. SLS goes up first is tensioned and the tarp staked out. Normally in less than 5 mins. Everything else is still in the pack and dry ready to be hung when needed.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

RAIN without pain

My favorite rain plan is to have a tarp completely separate from my hammock. Snakeskins for tarp are great too, especially when packing up in the rain.

Set up: tie tarp to trees, remove skins, stake out. Relax, rain-free under tarp. Make dinner and do other stuff under tarp. After dinner (or before), deploy hammock; deploy sleeping insulation just before you need it.

Take down: reverse the process.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

If I'm pretty sure it's going to rain on a trip, I always pack it on top or in the shovel pocket for quick access. Another skill to practice up on is to do your setup in the dark and don't use the headlamp. You'll gain a greater "feel" for your gear and build greater awareness of where everything is going.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Great ideas mentioned already. I only have thing to add... practice the rain setup-take-down routine. I would go so far as to suggest that your routine be the same regardless of the weather. That is what I do. I set-up and take down as if it were raining so that when it is raining I don't have to think about it. In general, the tarp goes up first before the pack is ever opened. The reverse is true on take-down; the tarp is taken down last after the pack has been closed up. The pack is never open to the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I think saving weight by having a petit little tarp is one of the worst mistakes . We set up this spring in a driving rain snow mix and having an extra big tarp is worth having a few extra ounces .

Rain dripping off the edge of the tarp can easily get blown back under on your gear if your not careful .

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast