Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

WB Cloudburst tarp: Is it necessary for WBRR?

I'm considering getting a WB Cloudburst tarp for my new WBRR.

1) I've already got a **HUGE** Hennessy Hex tarp I've been using with my HH for years. It definitely provides adequate coverage for the WBRR. The problem is that, unless the tarp is pitched MUCH above the WBRR AND the RR is pitched really low to the ground (so that can sit on it without tipping it much), the RR's spreader bars contact the tarp whenever getting in and out.

2) Has anybody had any problems long-term with spreader bar abrasion from bridge hammocks actually damaging tarps? I know that Brandon's done a great job precluding the edges from being particularly sharp. Also, I notice that Paul at Arrowhead has his "Spreader Bar Buckle Bumpers", which to me don't seem like they would add much material value (i.e., seem unnecessary and may not even help much if they are necessary).

3) I also note that Tendertoe developed a Double Pole Mod for a Superfly Tarp. It would be nice if anybody using this could compare this to a Cloudburst. Double Pole Superfly or Cloudburst? I know that the Cloudburst would cost about half as much as a new Superfly plus the mod. But the Superfly would give you the opportunity to **MOSTLY** close the doors for really foul weather.

4) So -- what are RR folks using? Are you happy with the Cloudburst? If you are using the Cloudburst, do you feel it is necessary, or do you feel that other tarps would work fine as well? If you are **NOT** using the Cloudburst, do you wish that you were?

What's your experience and what's your opinion?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    I'm considering getting a WB Cloudburst tarp for my new WBRR.

1) I've already got a **HUGE** Hennessy Hex tarp I've been using with my HH for years. It definitely provides adequate coverage for the WBRR. The problem is that, unless the tarp is pitched MUCH above the WBRR AND the RR is pitched really low to the ground (so that can sit on it without tipping it much), the RR's spreader bars contact the tarp whenever getting in and out.

2) Has anybody had any problems long-term with spreader bar abrasion from bridge hammocks actually damaging tarps? I know that Brandon's done a great job precluding the edges from being particularly sharp. Also, I notice that Paul at Arrowhead has his "Spreader Bar Buckle Bumpers", which to me don't seem like they would add much material value (i.e., seem unnecessary and may not even help much if they are necessary).

3) I also note that Tendertoe developed a Double Pole Mod for a Superfly Tarp. It would be nice if anybody using this could compare this to a Cloudburst. Double Pole Superfly or Cloudburst? I know that the Cloudburst would cost about half as much as a new Superfly plus the mod. But the Superfly would give you the opportunity to **MOSTLY** close the doors for really foul weather.

4) So -- what are RR folks using? Are you happy with the Cloudburst? If you are using the Cloudburst, do you feel it is necessary, or do you feel that other tarps would work fine as well? If you are **NOT** using the Cloudburst, do you wish that you were?

What's your experience and what's your opinion?

A Cloudburst, I believe, has the same dimensions as the Superfly if you pitch the doors of the Superfly straight and not in - pictured below.

The only real differences (unless the Cloudburst bottom dimension differs from the Superfly) in the two tarps is the cat cut edges on the Superfly, obviously that the Superfly has the ability to have doors, as well as the location of the side pullouts on both tarps. The last of these is the biggest issue in using the Superfly with the WBRR. The Cloudburst has the side pullouts located directly above where the corner tieouts are on the Superfly if the Cloudburst had the additional corner tieouts like the Superfly - 41'' in from the end of the tarp (hence why the double pole mod works so well with the Superfly because it makes the side pullout location directly above the Superfly corner tieouts and replicates the side pullout location of the Cloudburst).

In my opinion, there are a couple different approaches -

1. If you get the Superfly, you either need side pullouts located in the same location where the pullouts are located on the Cloudburst (41" from the ends - directly above the corner tieouts. This can be accomplished by attaching 4 Grip Clips).

OR a double pole mod which accomplishes the same thing which is pulling the sides of the tarp out at a location 41" from the ends of the tarp instead of the stock pullout location on the Superfly.

2. If you get the Cloudburst, you can attach 4 grip clips at the bottom edge of the tarp at 41" from the ends which would give you 4 corner tieouts which in essence would replicate the Superfly corner tieouts. This will give you the ability to make doors with the Cloudburst and you would also have the side pullouts at the exact location (41'' from the ends of the tarp) that they need to be as the Cloudburst comes with side pullouts already in this location.

This entire discussion is for what I view as optimum performance between the tarp and hammock. You can definitely make other tarps work or either the Superfly or Cloudburst with no modifications.

Below is a picture of a Superfly pitched in the same way a Cloudburst is pitched for illustrative purposes. Pardon my MSPaint skills.

Last edited by Tendertoe; 10-04-2013 at 11:37.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The Bumpers help the most for those of us that use our hiking poles as spreader bars....those don't have the care Brandon put into using round pole tips on the stock bars. Generally hiking poles have fairly sharp edges on the carbide tips and if your using poles with camera mounts those edges can be rough as well. I came up with the bumpers to protect my spindrift as well as my tarp from the points on the hiking poles I use.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    ...The only real differences in the two tarps is the cat cut edges on the Superfly...
    Is the bottom edge of the Superfly longer than the 132" ridgeline? Your dimensions noted on the photo would indicate it is. This would make an obvious difference in the ability to create the doors vs the Cloudburst.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    Superfly and Cloudburst have the same overall dimensions. The Superfly has the 2 extra side pulls that let you pull the corners in to make doors.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gal...&g2_itemId=230

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Using the double pole mod on the outside/over the RL, how far apart do you think the pullouts need to be to give enough clearance to the ends of the RR? Useful info for large non-superfly tarp owners..
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Hmmm, I haven't measured mine from pole to pole on the WBRR. I'd guess about 78-80". I bought the cloudburst after using my OES MacCat Deluxe a few times. It's just a bit small to keep the weather off since I can't really cinch it down due to the poles. I also had an OES 4-season that only had a single pullout in the center. Perfect for a gathered end but didn't work well at all with the WBRR.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Cloudburst. I'm on the fence about seam sealing the pullouts. I've been in a couple of pretty heavy showers with no leaks. I did the mod described here on the forums where you cover the metal bits of the suspension with heat shrink tubing. This helps protect the tarp from the pole tips.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    I have to get a tarp for my wife's Ridgerunner. I was wondering would it be better to get a Superfly with side pulls more in line with the Ridgerunner poles or ask brandon to add corners to make doors to Cloudburst. She would like to have doors for changing and stuff.

What do you think would be better?
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Is the bottom edge of the Superfly longer than the 132" ridgeline? Your dimensions noted on the photo would indicate it is. This would make an obvious difference in the ability to create the doors vs the Cloudburst.
    I would love to hear from someone that actually owns a Cloudburst comment on the ridgeline vs bottom dimension as looking at things, the overall dimensions are the same for both tarps 132 ridgeline x 120 wide. However, the bottom dimensions may differ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Using the double pole mod on the outside/over the RL, how far apart do you think the pullouts need to be to give enough clearance to the ends of the RR? Useful info for large non-superfly tarp owners..
    I measured the length between the spreader bars at 78.5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I have to get a tarp for my wife's Ridgerunner. I was wondering would it be better to get a Superfly with side pulls more in line with the Ridgerunner poles or ask brandon to add corners to make doors to Cloudburst. She would like to have doors for changing and stuff.

What do you think would be better?
    Depending on if the Cloudburst has the same bottom dimensions as the Superfly both of these examples you mention would be the same thing.

If the Superfly does end up having a longer bottom dimension, that would allow for easier door closing.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 10-04-2013 at 11:42.

Images
    The superfly is 132" along the ridge and a good bit longer than that along the ground edge with doors stretched out, whereas the cloudburst is 132" along the ridge and ground edge...so the superfly is a good bit longer along the ground edge if you count the doors as part of the length measurement, with the doors pinned up under the tarp and not in use, the superfly is almost a rectangle but slightly hex.

As for the Cloudburst, the MJ door kit should fit it i believe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast