Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict

Algonquin Adventures on a school trip.

Last weekend I spent 4 days at Algonquin Provincial Park with 20 or so students, a trip we've been doing for about 4 years with city kids getting their first chance in the great big woods.

This trip was more than a bit out of the ordinary without a single night below freezing. Instead we had absolutely beautiful weather, highs around 20C, lows around 10C and nary a cloud in the sky until Sunday night. Even better, the moon was late rising giving a perfect view of the stars.

Some highlights of the trip:

We arranged for park naturalists to run some programs for us; a tour of the logging museum with a guide in the character of 19th century lumberjack, a night hike where city kids were left sitting in the dark (with included nervous loudness), a guided tour of the fall colours, and best of all, a Wolf Howl. An interesting fact is that around 180,000 people visit the park in fall colours season including many from overseas who fly in specifically for it. The warm weather made the colours less spectacular than last year. One or two cold nights are needed to bring out the red and orange in the sugar maples (also to get rid of the remaining biting insects).

The wold howl program has been going on for 50 years since a researcher trying to track wolves found that any noise even marginally like a howl will elicit a response. In the summers they do a public wolf howl where a couple thousand people come to the park and quietly listen for wolves. Our group was much smaller and after trying a couple locations were greeted by about a minute of howling from a pack of 4 or 5 including the yipping of the pups trying to howl. The kids were a great mix of excited and nervous.

Also fun was the spot where I set up my hammock had lots of pedestrian traffic from the kids. Many having done no camping before found it interesting instead of the strange looks I get from the experienced. If only the school would invest in a full set. Even nicer was to sit and chat with the ranger about hammocks becoming more popular - no hint of a hassle.

Not everything was perfect though. After a long week, us teachers hit the hay early. At about 1:30 I was woken from a deep sleep with kids telling me that a girl fell down and was sleeping. Confusedly I got up and discovered that a student was unconscious on the ground. That meant a few hours of activity, calling an ambulance, the school's principal, the parent, and trying to keep the kids calm. She was released from the hospital the next morning and her mother came to pick her up (immigrant mom with no car had to take the bus up to get her). Also the Ministry of Transport decided to have major construction on the one highway through the park meaning it took one of the teachers 4 hours to do an hour long drive. Still having to wake up early the next morning for programs we were all more than a little tired.

Finally dinner time came and having more of a chance to relax, I pulled out by new Granfors Bruks small forest axe to prep for a camp fire. Jokingly I turn to another teacher and ask what the tradition is for a new axe, christen, bless, blood. 20 Minutes later I found out how sharp it is as it skipped off a knot and landed on my foot. Yes, the axe is sharp out of the box. Most annoyingly, after getting back from the hospital with 4 new stitches I find out that another teacher had been using the axe to split wood using a rock and managed to put two nice dings in my brand new (and blooded) blade.

Still a good trip and the injury meant I got a chance to catch up on my sleep. Time to fix the blade on my axe and plan for the next school trip in the spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keg; 10-03-2013 at 19:32.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sounds like an interesting trip! Sorry about the axe...oh yeah, and your foot. Being the owner of 3 GB's, you can see where my sympathies lie. Those shoes were starting to look worn anyways. What happened with the student? Concussion? Medical condition? Hopefully our canoe trip will be nice and relaxing for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    No idea. Seizure? Parent said they would get her checked out.

And yes, i was doubting if the shoes would last the season. The slice is only an inch or so long so I'll likely have them along on the trip.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Sounds exciting. We were in Algonquin last weekend also. Sure was busy huh. We stayed at the Coon Lake campground.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Keg, don't envy you the school trip one little wee bit...

A three day trip with 2 pre-teen girls made me very, very, very thankful that my kids are all grown up now...

Jayson, how was Coon Lake Campground - never tried it but am itching for 'just one more trip' this fall!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    It was alright. A basic driveup Site. They only open Coon Lake when the other campgrounds are full tho. We walked the Booth Rock trail...view from the top was awesome with the colors.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Thanks Jayson, too bad that they only open it when others are full. Not all of us that are sometimes confined to car camping want a full service campground.

I did Booths Rock Trail in July and the views were stunning then, can only imagine what they look like with full colour!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    it's really doing a good thing you're doing to give kids the outdoor spark. I still remember going to a wolf howl in the late 70's in Algonquin. I'm looking forward to meeting you, Keg on our trip. And if anyone's up for a walk to Booth's Rock, I'd love to see the view of the colours too.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts