Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I've pushed a 20* full length uq with a 0* tq down to -25* and was comfortable. Besides being dressed right and preheating my quilts, I used a vapor barrier bag liner, and beneath the hammock I piled pine needles all of the way up to the uq. You would be fine with your setup if you supplemented it. But then again, it's always fun buying new gear...
    WOW, that must be a record or very close to one for pushing gear below it's rating. (Although minus 27 in a( heavily augmented) 30F rated HHSS and at least minus 20F for a stock HHSS by Cryofthewild was also really pushing it.)

I'd say that VB was a big help, but probably so were the (dry?) pine needles.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    WOW, that must be a record or very close to one for pushing gear below it's rating. (Although minus 27 in a( heavily augmented) 30F rated HHSS and at least minus 20F for a stock HHSS by Cryofthewild was also really pushing it.)

I'd say that VB was a big help, but probably so were the (dry?) pine needles.
    the dry pine needles was the key. The first night I felt a bit chilled on the backside, not too badd, but enough to do something. There wasn't much snow on the ground, and there were some thick spots to find dry needles. piled them from head to toe under my hammock. Climbed in and brushed them away until it wasn't putting pressure on the uq anymore. Slept nice and warm after that. Old trick, but first time applied in a hammock.

The VB was also a big part, amazing how well it works. It's funny, because I've spent many years in tyvek suits (and rain gear), and always joked around at work saying I'm going to bring a tyvek suit home for winter camping because they're so warm, but never knew about vapor barrier liners....

Images
    the dry pine needles was the key. The first night I felt a bit chilled on the backside, not too badd, but enough to do something. There wasn't much snow on the ground, and there were some thick spots to find dry needles. piled them from head to toe under my hammock. Climbed in and brushed them away until it wasn't putting pressure on the uq anymore. Slept nice and warm after that. Old trick, but first time applied in a hammock.

The VB was also a big part, amazing how well it works. It's funny, because I've spent many years in tyvek suits (and rain gear), and always joked around at work saying I'm going to bring a tyvek suit home for winter camping because they're so warm, but never knew about vapor barrier liners....
    Great info! First night where you "felt a bit chilled on the backside, not too badd, but enough to do something", before you added pine needles, what kind of temp was it?

For the OP, I see you have decided to go ahead and get a winter Yeti for below 30F, but the above shows there are ways to get a lot more out of any given insulation than originally rated for. Plus, it does look like the 3 season Yeti was bumped up from 30F to 20F rating along the way, so it depends on who you are asking and when they got it I suppose. But, getting the winter model takes care of all of that.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 Camo
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    For the OP, I see you have decided to go ahead and get a winter Yeti for below 30F, but the above shows there are ways to get a lot more out of any given insulation than originally rated for. Plus, it does look like the 3 season Yeti was bumped up from 30F to 20F rating along the way, so it depends on who you are asking and when they got it I suppose. But, getting the winter model takes care of all of that.
    Yeah, I'm a 'know-my-limits' kinda guy. In my head I'd think I could use my 3-season UQ and stuff pine needles in my hammock, or evenly space sleeping wolf cubs across my body, or slice open a Tauntaun with my light saber if things get really bad... but then I snap out of it and say, 'Nah, winter yeti sounds good'. That way I can push down to the teens and be in my comfort zone.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WBBB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator 40
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    We did add a couple oz of down a few years ago to bump it from 30 deg to 20 deg.

The temp ratings are based on an "average" sleeper, so the numbers for a cold or warm sleeper would vary by 10deg in either direction (10 for a warm sleeper or 30 for a cold sleeper), these ratings also assume you have an appropriately warm leg pad being used with the yeti and appropriate wind protection (tarp)
    Appreciate the clarification Brandon, thanks.
    Keep on Keepin' on ya'll!

Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Would supplimenting with a down jacket get you down to 20*? I used my HG 20* UQ down to 22* with no problem, but had my down jacket ready to suppliment just in case. It is a full length UQ though, if that makes any difference. Everyone is different though when it comes to keeping warm.
    Happy Hangin!!!

AKA BajaHanger

You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Images
    before you added pine needles, what kind of temp was it?
    I think it was a few degrees warmer, between -15 and -20*F

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Would supplimenting with a down jacket get you down to 20*? I used my HG 20* UQ down to 22* with no problem, but had my down jacket ready to suppliment just in case. It is a full length UQ though, if that makes any difference. Everyone is different though when it comes to keeping warm.
    Probably not on the bottom, no problem on top. But unless the down jacket is placed under the hammock somehow, maybe between the UQ and hammock, I don't think it would help very much due to your weight compressing the down. Thick fleece or synthetic jackets might help a bit.

I think it was a few degrees warmer, between -15 and -20*F
    So U took a +20F UQ to -15-20F( 35-40* below it's rating) with a VB and I assume wearing a few layers? Pretty good!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba & HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cool

Great thread. I am struggling with similar quandary.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I have 3 season yeti. Have used several times at 30/32 degrees. Forgot foot pad once and stuffed down jacket in foot box of 20* tq and was good.

I'm a cold sleeper for me anything much below the 30* I have to add on to much if using yeti with 20* tq