DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

TX-250 with Jarbidge underquilt question

I've decided to buy a 3/4 length 20 or 30 degree underquilt.

I'm interested in a KAQ Jarbidge (jarbridge) with APEX upgrade due to the great price, quick turn time and 58 inch length. I'm wondering about how small the APEX version stuffs AND whether the poles on a Clark interfer with either the quilt or the suspension.

(also considering a hammockgear 20 pheonix but its shorter and a bit more expensive) I believe it will stuff smaller though.
    Last edited by litetrek; 10-10-2013 at 18:26. Reason: Original post too long

Hammock
    HHED ZIP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    NewRiver,Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The answer is yes!
    I have a Jarbidge and a New River !
    The Jarbidge has the Apex upgrade and has been great. Both are a great investment!
    I've seen him have a Facebook Friday discount. Check on it!
    Good Luck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    phiche, how small will the jarbidge with the apex upgrade stuff down to? For now I'm using my semirectangular down sleeping bag as a top quilt. Its plenty warm but its 550 fill and its big so I don't have lots of room in the pack.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    No love on this one. Somebody help a brother out! I got a little help yesterday but not for the question I asked, although the info is appreciated.

I want to buy one of the two quilts I mentioned tonight or tomorrow and I'm trying to decide between them.

I ask a lot of questions because I really don't like buying stuff without seeing it. Asking someone who has it and watching info on youtube is the best you can do if you can't see the equipment before you get it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ HDGD FLUQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't know jack but from the threads I've seen, I am going to try to get a full length UQ. I'm sure that you can add clips, tabs, or Velcro to the southern end of a 3/4 length UQ but I think there will be a better fit with the ends of the UQ positioned near both ends of the hammock.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks Brian ... I don't know jack either. Actually, I have a friend named Jack but when it comes to under quilts I don't know much. I would guess a full length would work better as far as hanging it goes.

But, here's my thinking. With a TX-250 I probably wont need much insulation most of the time here. I don't go hiking much when its super cold and super cold here is 20F at night. I think for 90% of my needs a 3/4 length quilt will be more than enough so I really don't want a full length due to the bulk and weight.

I really hate spending lots of money on new gear when I'm guessing about how it will work.

I have a HG 20d with my WBBB and it seems to be good well below its rating. I have taken it to 12degrees with clothes on.I myself feel that the extra 1/4 length is wasted.I have no problems keeping my feet warm with my sit pad or a piece of reflectix.

The Spaceweaseal Paradox spaceweaseal's Avatar
    I use the Jarbidge, (apex version) with my 250 and it works great. I also use a Phoenix without any issue's. The Jarbidge apex packs down pretty good but it is still a synthetic uq so don't expect a tiny package.

Hammock
    HHED ZIP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    NewRiver,Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Jarbidge stuff sack is about 6" diameter and 12" long.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ HDGD FLUQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: TX-250 (or NX-250) underquilt question

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Thanks Brian ... when it comes to under quilts I don't know much… But, here's my thinking. With a TX-250 I probably wont need much insulation most of the time here. I don't go hiking much when its super cold and super cold here is 20F at night.. I really hate spending lots of money on new gear when I'm guessing about how it will work.
    My Stephenson Warmlite 3R tent is designed for high altitude and polar expeditions and is a palace for 2. My Warmlite Triple down bag with a down insulated air mattress has a comfort range in its various configurations from 50° to -30° or lower, and is very comfortable. With a partner carrying 3 lbs of cooking gear and food to split the load it keeps the weight and volume down for both. I can't imagine any hammock & tarp system would be as suitable as a Warmlite tent and bag in cold & deep snow.

But from what I've read here a NX-250 or TX-250 with its weather shield and a full length 20° UQ and 40° TQ is toasty to 30° @ 48 oz. With a light fleece TQ I think I could easily take it to 50°. The way I see it I'd have to put something under my legs and I don't know what would be lighter and take up less pack volume than 1/4 of an UQ.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 10-12-2013 at 00:20.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>`•.Έ
    `•.Έ.•΄><((((Ί>―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ.•΄―`•.Έ