Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 254
  1. #131
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,178
    Images
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    When a tree has thin bark that is more prone to damage, an option is to insert a number of vertical twigs between the strap and the bark. This spreads out the pressure and does not take much time to do. I tend to use 1" straps but will often add the vertical twigs if I think they may be needed for the health of the tree. Part of my issue with wider straps is the weight and part is that I have Dutch hardware that is sized for 1" straps. I'm sure many others do too.
    That's the nice thing about the 2" to 1" conversion straps. They allow for the LNT recommendation and still let you use the hardware we're all used to.
    I've not heard back from the people at Cornell yet, but I have a sit down with with the tree guy at the local college on Monday.

    The fact of the matter is, if places start adopting these LNT recommendations as formal regulations, we won't have a choice. Like I said before, NY's DEC follows LNT suggestions like gospel, I will not be surprised when 1" straps are banned in NY, and they'll enforce it too. Not just in camp grounds but at parking areas and access points to some of the more popular places in the Adirondacks. Just like they do for bear cans, and they make a tidy little profit in tickets (and then rentals) of bear cans in certain spots. Someone else recently on this thread (Zilla, maybe?) said something about having a ranger make him take down a 1" rig.

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

  2. #132
    Zilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Jersey Pinelands
    Hammock
    DIY Custom Zilla Bridge
    Tarp
    Zilla tarp/custom
    Insulation
    Uderquilts.com
    Suspension
    Readystrap/buckles
    Posts
    1,132
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    That's the nice thing about the 2" to 1" conversion straps. They allow for the LNT recommendation and still let you use the hardware we're all used to.
    I've not heard back from the people at Cornell yet, but I have a sit down with with the tree guy at the local college on Monday.

    The fact of the matter is, if places start adopting these LNT recommendations as formal regulations, we won't have a choice. Like I said before, NY's DEC follows LNT suggestions like gospel, I will not be surprised when 1" straps are banned in NY, and they'll enforce it too. Not just in camp grounds but at parking areas and access points to some of the more popular places in the Adirondacks. Just like they do for bear cans, and they make a tidy little profit in tickets (and then rentals) of bear cans in certain spots. Someone else recently on this thread (Zilla, maybe?) said something about having a ranger make him take down a 1" rig.

    Tha ranger DID make me take down my 1 inch tree straps, i had a set of conversion straps made, you can see the pics in an earlier post, and when i ran across the same ranger- i think he was on the look out for me to see if i would try and sneak in with a 1 inch strap he gave me a big thanks for having 2 inchs around the tree and ever since he has left me alone, from a distance he has given me the thumbs up signal.
    Like i said before Whatever keeps me off the ground., gary from readystrap.com will make these at a very reasonable price and they are not that heavy!we call them the scareystraps and i love them, used them at the fall hang and left no mark anywhere, i have noticed little marks before on pine with my 1 inchers so i will use the conversion ones on pine and my 1 inchers on hardwood until they tell me different!
    Whats the big deal anyway,lets let the rangers and regulaters focus on somebody else and leave us hangers alome!

  3. #133
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Pretty soon they'll require helmets in case the suspension fails. Can't be too careful protecting your noggin! Maybe something to catch your fall too; foam mat to protect your tailbone. And maybe require a specific thickness of ground cloth to minimize dammage to the ground with your feet under the hammock.

    Just kidding...I HOPE!

  4. #134
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    I would have no problem using a 1 1/2 or 2" strap. But I usually backpack and never see Officials.
    Here are pictures of the tree in my backyard that I have hung my hammock on since 2006. Lots of abuse on purpose. Not sure what species of tree it is...I call it a Stick Tree as it drops sticks all the time.
    Not much damage for as often as I have hung on it and put stress on it. (refer to video below for stress and abuse)
    Shug





    IMG_0328.JPG

    IMG_0327.JPG

    IMG_0326.jpg
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  5. #135
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Jackson Heights, NY
    Hammock
    Byer of Maine Traveller Lite
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 11'x11'
    Suspension
    1' DIY/Amstl Loops
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Pretty soon they'll require helmets in case the suspension fails. Can't be too careful protecting your noggin! Maybe something to catch your fall too; foam mat to protect your tailbone. And maybe require a specific thickness of ground cloth to minimize dammage to the ground with your feet under the hammock.

    Just kidding...I HOPE!
    Oh, a lot of LNT folks don't care about whether or not we're safe. Further, it doesn't even to seem to be whether or not we protect and preserve the environment. It occurs to me that the ultimate goal of LNT extremists is to simply keep people out of wilderness; it's the only way to truly leave no trace.

    Honestly, I'd only heard the term 'LNT,' and 'Leave No Trace,' rather recently, and I'm 47. I learned in BSA as a kid, 'Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints,' and that's been enough for me. When I go to sleep in wilderness, I pay particular attention to my impact. Do I go so far as to fluff the grass under where I slept? Drag my pack behind to remove footprints? Avoid hitting rocks with the carbide tips of my trekking poles? No, as I believe that even with the minimal impact most of us have, our passion to protect these places for future generations weighs much more.

  6. #136
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilk View Post
    Oh, a lot of LNT folks don't care about whether or not we're safe. Further, it doesn't even to seem to be whether or not we protect and preserve the environment. It occurs to me that the ultimate goal of LNT extremists is to simply keep people out of wilderness; it's the only way to truly leave no trace.

    Honestly, I'd only heard the term 'LNT,' and 'Leave No Trace,' rather recently, and I'm 47. I learned in BSA as a kid, 'Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints,' and that's been enough for me. When I go to sleep in wilderness, I pay particular attention to my impact. Do I go so far as to fluff the grass under where I slept? Drag my pack behind to remove footprints? Avoid hitting rocks with the carbide tips of my trekking poles? No, as I believe that even with the minimal impact most of us have, our passion to protect these places for future generations weighs much more.
    I'm with you there! Common sense really. It may just come down to them being obsessive in order to really drive home the idea of respecting nature for those who don't seem to care.

    But no, I won't be carrying my poop in a baggie anytime soon. LOL! You can't make this stuff up!!!

  7. #137
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,096
    Images
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilk View Post
    If I saw your hang, I'd have reported you. It's against the law to camp anywhere but established sites there for the reason stated above.
    tried that once, never again ...


    (I thinkI'll stick with my own lifetime of experience off the main trail before I listen to someone who thinks he can push over a forest)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fallkniven; 10-23-2013 at 19:11.

  8. #138
    swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Nice, looks like you may have cut a few smaller trees down to serve as porch mode poles. But hey, if you are camping illegally then it's not likely anyone will notice any way right?

  9. #139
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,096
    Images
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Nice, looks like you may have cut a few smaller trees down to serve as porch mode poles. But hey, if you are camping illegally then it's not likely anyone will notice any way right?
    they were dead and half fallen, turned to firewood (meaning put my tarp in their skins went I woke up, and burned the poles for breakfast) before leaving. Otherwise I wouldn't have picked such beefy uprights.
    It's mainly illegal (in this state) because of the idiots that ruin it for everyone else. I'd challenge anyone to spot my campsite after I've pack up....
    Last edited by fallkniven; 10-23-2013 at 19:13.

  10. #140

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    they were dead and half fallen, turned to firewood before leaving. Otherwise I wouldn't have picked such beefy uprights.
    It's mainly illegal (in this state) because of the idiots that ruin it for everyone else. I'd challenge anyone to spot my campsite after I've pack up....
    You packed out your newly-sawn firewood collection?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •