Hammock
    Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    I hang between two brick columns using straps on my house, but the brick is just a veneer. The actual structural part of the column is 4 2x6's with horizontal bracing. The bricks are flush against the wood structural members and tied in every foot vertically. If you have a similar setup, you're good to go.

Note that the bricks in the video had no internal structure. They were just piled up to provide vertical support of the roof. As noted, masonry has little strength i

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkphoto View Post
    From an engineering perspective, pillars are designed to bear weight vertically, not horizontally. It's good to be cautious.

If you decide to give it a try, definitely wrap some heavy duty straps around the pillars. I imagine the stone will wear out the straps a lot quicker than tree bark.

David
    I'll also add that if you do decide to give it a try, have the video camera running
    Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow.

Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Don't be afraid of failure. Just be safe and take pics for our enjoyment
    This and video are crucial.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    First, welcome to the fun, from Florida.

To help with answers, do you have pics of the area? Can you give more dimensions of area?
    How far apart are the pillars?

3.4 meters

Don't be afraid of failure. Just be safe and take pics for our enjoyment

Are you willing to drill into the pillars for adding hanging hooks? Do you want to make a TDS(turtledog stand) to make it portable or removeable? Is the intended use for fair weather only or also in rain/wind? More info will help.
    Fairweather use during warmer time of the year. Hoping to be able to remove Hammock if any storms, fronts of rain were forecast

I am a little reluctant to drill into the pillars however if it is the only way to go I would probably end up doing it

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Images
    At a little over 11 feet apart for the pillars, the beams on top of the pillars may be a bit too high to hang from them.

What is the circumference of the pillars?

As demonstrated in the video, you don't want to use straps unless the limestone is a veneer and not structural.

To use the pillars safely, you can drill and attach supports into the pillars at about shoulder/head height and add a removeable crossbar like from a TDS to support the hammock stresses vertically. Hang the hammock from the crossbar and not the pillars. This works with the vertical strength of the pillars to keep them from collapsing and is removeable for when the weather hits or the hammock is not being used.

Good luck and take plenty of pics/videos of whatever you end up doing.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com