Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 397
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Posts
    457
    Here we are last year in a shelter or coral with a fire in the center that stayed quite comfortable in the teens .

  2. #12
    boulderv7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON SIL
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    287
    Well, I have this on my radar as well. I love winter camping, but this will be my first winter in a hammock. Its a long ride for me, about 3 hours, so if the weather cooperates I may make it.
    My head is an animal

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Posts
    457
    Be my first in a hammock as well . I plan on handling it with overkill . Huge underquilt and GI ECW bag as overquilt .

  4. #14
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Over 5 hour drive for me from Indiana...ugh. But I'll keep this in mind. I have a 20 UQ so if lows are approaching 0 I may be out.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Over 5 hour drive for me from Indiana...ugh. But I'll keep this in mind. I have a 20 UQ so if lows are approaching 0 I may be out.


    Mark ,

    We winter camped last year on the BLoodroot trail ( 78 miles north of Indy ) had about a foot of snow the week before the campout then warming trend blew in and melted it all . Luckily we got a couple of inches on the Friday night we chose so we were able to use our pulks . This year we want snow snow lots of snow .
    For $50 you can get the old ECW bag (down on top synthetid on the bottom )from these guys
    http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/sea...%26%20Blankets that you could lay in your hammock as a pad or use it as a sleeping bag . 10 lbs or so but we all use pulks in the winter which you can comfortabley pull 50 or 60 pounds . I used this last year with 14 degrees and high winds with no problem . Ground sleeping tho . This year definitely gonna hang .
    If you are a died in the wool ultralighter it would go against your grain I spose .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 10-23-2013 at 10:54.

  6. #16
    Jeff Kindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wyandotte, MI
    Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    99
    Looks like a great trip! I camp near there a lot. All year round. There can be a lot of snow.
    On my wish list to attend, but I have a scout outing near the same time in Port Huron.

    Have fun and be sure to post pics!
    Making memories of the sights, sounds, textures and smells of nature to create A Sight to Remember...

    A Sight to Remember's Facebook
    A Sight to Remember

  7. #17
    markr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Posts
    1,431
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Mark ,

    We winter camped last year on the BLoodroot trail ( 78 miles north of Indy ) had about a foot of snow the week before the campout then warming trend blew in and melted it all . Luckily we got a couple of inches on the Friday night we chose so we were able to use our pulks . This year we want snow snow lots of snow .
    For $50 you can get the old ECW bag (down on top synthetid on the bottom )from these guys
    http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/sea...%26%20Blankets that you could lay in your hammock as a pad or use it as a sleeping bag . 10 lbs or so but we all use pulks in the winter which you can comfortabley pull 50 or 60 pounds . I used this last year with 14 degrees and high winds with no problem . Ground sleeping tho . This year definitely gonna hang .
    If you are a died in the wool ultralighter it would go against your grain I spose .
    I'll want to carry everything in my pack, but I can bring my big 80L and add a thick blanket. I would bring one of my pads, but I'm always worried about condensation. For top, I'm always more than warm enough with a 15 down bag and long underwear.

    Getting excited! Better not be one of those 37 and rainy days! You never know.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Posts
    457
    Im thinking we should be pretty safe at that latitude as far as being below freezing , but as you say "you never know anymore " . Looking at Mio Michigan high and low temps for Jan . I'd say it's pretty cold usually .

    I see the Minnesota guys are bringing their igloo tool which makes me a little jealous . Wait a minute I know an igloo specialist let me see if he's available .

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Oxford, Michigan
    Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY
    Tarp
    big daddy
    Insulation
    pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps/whoopie
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Well, I have this on my radar as well. I love winter camping, but this will be my first winter in a hammock. Its a long ride for me, about 3 hours, so if the weather cooperates I may make it.
    You can make it. Bring the big fur ball and we can have her collect wood. You gonna convince your better half to come?

  10. #20
    easy_grounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East China Michigan
    Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    96
    Count me in. No stranger to the cold.

    What is the itinerary? Car camp and day hikes? Hike a loop (setup and teardown each night)? Just let me know. It will determine how I pack for the weekend.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •