DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Down UQ questions

So first off I am no noobie to DIY, and for some time now I've been wanting to make a down UQ. But for some reason I can't rap my head around some of the basics. So my first question concerns the baffles. They are just little walls in between the chambers sewn to both the inner and outer shell? Also is just regular 1.1 downproof? I'm sure there is a lot more questions I have but until I get started I just wanted to understand the baffles more.

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    This is the best picture I can find for understanding baffles. As far as material you have to get something that is dwr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Down Underquilts

Look in the DIY Forum as well as Bottom Insulation Forum...there is plenty of information on the subject of materials,baffles,etc. The same info that applies to Top Quilts or Down Sleeping Bag construction will be useful for a UQ.
    Any Ripstop Nylon Including but not limited to: Pertex,Momentum, Argon, NBull,Impetus in weights of .5oz,.7oz,1.1oz,1.5-1.7oz will suffice for Quilt Shells; Noseeum/Nanoseeum Netting, Cuban Fiber, Breathable Ripstop will work for baffles- Noseeum is most frequently used.
    Most all of the shell materials listed are "Down Proof"...depending on what the rating of down is you are using...750-900fill down should work ok with the lighter weight shell fabrics. 600FP or lower requires heavier shell material due to more quills in the mix which poke through the fabric!
    Cheers
    Last edited by fortran42; 10-19-2013 at 21:21. Reason: Add Text

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonz View Post
    This is the best picture I can find for understanding baffles. As far as material you have to get something that is dwr
    Perfect! That is the exact picture I've been looking for.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    Look in the DIY Forum as well as Bottom Insulation Forum...there is plenty of information on the subject of materials,baffles,etc. The same info that applies to Top Quilts or Down Sleeping Bag construction will be useful for a UQ.
    Any Ripstop Nylon Including but not limited to: Pertex,Momentum, Argon, NBull,Impetus in weights of .5oz,.7oz,1.1oz,1.5-1.7oz will suffice for Quilt Shells; Noseeum/Nanoseeum Netting, Cuban Fiber, Breathable Ripstop will work for baffles- Noseeum is most frequently used.
    Most all of the shell materials listed are "Down Proof"...depending on what the rating of down is you are using...750-900fill down should work ok with the lighter weight shell fabrics. 600FP or lower requires heavier shell material due to more quills in the mix which poke through the fabric!
    Cheers
    Thank you that is very helpful because I was going to go to the thrift store to collect goodies with down and I know a lot of ppl were getting lower quality down this way. Ill have to look hard for some high quality stuff.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just make sure the fabric is listed as "down proof" by a knowledgeable seller. The weight of the fabric, calendering, DWR treatments etc. don't guarantee down proof.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I would agree with what the others have said. I just finished mu first quilts. Most of the better nylon will be calendared as well. A good source for down is my lux pillows and quilts on ebay. I ended up with 140 oz of theoretically 800 fill for less than $2.50 shipped.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Yea that is my next problem, down. I went to all the local thrift stores and nothin. So then I checked ebay and found a good deal on siberian goose down pillow, but then I read all the bad info about siberian goose down. I wouldn't be against buying some of that activ dry 850 down but since this is my first down project I'm trying to go cheap as possible. I think the my luxe is probably the way to go for now.

Hammock
    DIY USN digital camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    Dyneema Whoopies
    Keep us updated on the down finds. But DIY Gear does have down proof fabrics.

• + New Posts