Hybrid View

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy suspen.

hennessy vs Nite owl

Just wondering if anyone has laid in either of these hammocks and noticed a difference in calf pressure. I have a Hennessy explorer deluxe and as much as i like it, there is a good deal of calf pressure. Wilderness logics advertises that there is no calf pressure in the nite owl...just wondering if anyone has one and what their thoughts are on the issue. And yes i do use a piece of foam pad under the calfs, what i'm looking to do is go lighter in pack weight...but before i drop almost as much for the nite owl as i paid for the hennessy just wondering if anyone experienced similiar calf pressure in the nite owl.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    For me, the NO is the most comfortable hammock I've ever slept in.
    I have have zero calf pressure problems. I think the 11' length is key to
    reducing the calf ridge.
    I highly recommend the Night Owl and Lite Owl.

>_please add your name to the world wide H F member location list_<

_________f___l___a___t___l___i___n___e_________

" just jump in where you can and hang on!" - briscoe darling

___the_cure_for_flatline_disease_can_be_found_here ____

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    I'm calling foul right off the start on this one.

As good and influential HH has been to the hanging community(they are what set me on this course)it is not only unproductive, but unfair to compare mass produced items, with that of any HF handmade cottage vendor.

There really is nothing to compare, other than perhaps HH's ability to combine the complete hanging system into one purchase.(hammock and tarp). Still once you factor in needed insulation and coverage, even with the SS system, it's not "everything" you need.

HH is a good mass produced solid system, but certainly not one with which to fairly judge the NO....or itself.

A better comparison, one which you seldom see discussed, would be between HH and Eno, TT, or GT

Otherwise, it does neither homage nor justice to either NO or HH. IMHO

Fact is....most can probably hang pretty goodly, in any of them

This place you say your lookin' for
    It might have washed out with the rain
    Might not be there anymore
    Might not be the same

Top that rise and face the pain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

no comparison

I have laid in both (HH and WL LO) as well as the WB BB 1.1 and 1.7 dl, the ridgerunner dl and the JRB bridge. The LO is not comparable to the HH, it is superior in every way including calf pressure, there is much less if any in the LO, I love my WBBB 1.1, but it also has more calf pressure, the only hammock I have that is better on the calf is the WB RR, but then it is a bridge hammock, I think the LO beats all gathered end hammocks in regards to calf pressure, but then you may also need a longer tarp to cover it's 11'.

Happy Hanging!

Newbs Opinion

My next hammock is going to be the Night Owl or the Snipe. I currently have a Hennessy Explorer deluxe. I also had felt the calf pressure until this past weekend. I raised the foot end about 8 inches above the head end and I felt no calf pressure. I'm only about 5'8" though. Anyway, you might try this until you get your Wilderness Logics. I'm going to order as soon as I can get the cash. I just can't decide between the single layer and double layer.

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can see my buddy Wandern'fool in a good flat lay in his Lite Owl. Added bug-net.
    Shug

Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

Shug and Friends Jammin'

Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    As good and influential HH has been to the hanging community(they are what set me on this course)it is not only unproductive, but unfair to compare mass produced items, with that of any HF handmade cottage vendor.

The original post was about comfort, not perceived quality or lack thereof. It's not a "cottage vs. mass produced" thing at all. I've read plenty of posts on the forums describing calf pressure issues with many brands of hammocks including the cottage vendors. Calf pressure is generally about hammock length and width (longer and wider the better). There's no special sauce that comes along with American stitching through Chinese ripstop that makes the hammock more comfortable.

The night owl is definitely longer and wider than the Hennessy, so it'll be easier to lay flat (as illustrated in the pics on the WL site). I have a HH Deep Jungle XL and it has the same dimensions as your Explorer Deluxe. I've never experienced any calf pressure in it but I'm only 5'9". One thing to also consider is whether your feet are too low. This can cause your lower legs to be constrained as your body settles closer to the foot end. Make sure the head end is at least 6" lower than the foot end.

Anyway, if it's comfort you're looking for you should be able to find it by getting something a little bigger than the Hennessy. Have some fun and make one yourself. And don't get caught up too much in hammock religion.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    Then yes. I'd say most if not all 10 and 11 foot offerings from our HF vendors will be better on calf ridge than the shorter HH's. And this includes the WL line of offerings.

If not, they can build to width or length for you that will suit your needs.

The above is why I made the original statement. Tom also won't drive 48 hours to get to you on your thru hike to replace or effect a repair on a piece of his equipment, to keep you from having to bail.(HF has vendors that have done this) If that's not exactly comfort.....it's piece of mind.
    This place you say your lookin' for
    It might have washed out with the rain
    Might not be there anymore
    Might not be the same

Top that rise and face the pain

Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Tom also won't drive 48 hours to get to you on your thru hike to replace or effect a repair on a piece of his equipment, to keep you from having to bail.(HF has vendors that have done this) If that's not exactly comfort.....it's piece of mind.
    peace of mind. And I wouldn't expect Tom to do that (he seems kind of old). And I'd say that if you think that spending a couple hundred bucks with someone entitles you to 96 hour round trip warranty house calls, that's a bit unrealistic (God forbid 2 people in different parts of the country need help at the same time). I understand that a lot of the cottage vendors here have excellent customer service and many have gone above and beyond like the situation you mentioned. I've also found Hennessy customer service to be excellent with timely responses to my questions and quick shipping. I can't speak to repairs because its so well made.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've been through several hennessy hammocks. I now have a lite owl and love it. They are two different animals.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong