Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies

My new TurtleDog and first inside hang

So for this project I traded in my thread injector for a saw and a drill. I weigh in the neighborhood of 250 lbs. (Really only one house in that neighborhood but I hate to be too specefic ) As I neared completion of this project, I could have sworn that my wood was shrinking. The closer I got to laying in the hammock/stand, the thinner the poles looked but I pressed on. Since weight was not really an issue for me (the stand, the stand... ) I went with a one inch X ten foot section of black pipe from Lowes for the ridge pole. Hammock is a whipped end table cloth with whoopie slings. I think I will have to couple a 24" piece of pipe to get the proper angle as my whoopies are as short as they go. I have tested it out and it held with no noticeable strain on wood or ridgepole. Not pictured is the paracord spread limiters @ 28" from the bottom. I would gladly accept any suggestions/ feedback?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Nice look'n rig, well done. Regarding your whoopies two options come immediately to mind. 1. Make some continuous loops and prusik them on the ends of the ridge pole, extend your whoopies and feed them thru the prusik and have them meet in the middle. 2. Again make some large-ish continuous loops prusik them to the ridge pole and larks head them to your hammock and don't use the whoopies.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice look'n rig, well done.
    Thanks!

1. Make some continuous loops and prusik them on the ends of the ridge pole, extend your whoopies and feed them thru the prusik and have them meet in the middle
    It took me a minute.. do mean meet towards the middle of the ridge pole? If so, how would you connect the other whoppie coming from the other side? Carabiner? I do see how that would allow me to adjust the whoopie slings but if they are as short as they can go now, not sure how this would help me? My hang height is good but the sag is too much. If I get the ends of my hammock much higher towards the ridgepole, hang height is too high. I appreciate your feedback and there is a very good chance I am not understanding your concept. If so, please correct me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I meant make your whoopies long and connect them to each other with a biner near the cntr for the ridge pole after running them thru a prusik loop on the end of the pole. I suppose you could larks head them to each other as well. There is a chance you may need a longer pole too.?

But if you remove your whoopies and go the prusik only route you could make height adjustments buy adding or subtracting wraps from the prusik.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    What Red describes is kind of how I did my first one.

Later, I just made some appropriate length dogbones and larksheaded them directly to the hammock in place of the whoopies.

Have to get the length right for your hammock of course...

Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I meant make your whoopies long and connect them to each other with a biner near the cntr for the ridge pole after running them thru a prusik loop on the end of the pole...
    Like this...

Whoopie center connected.jpg

And another option is to use short continuous loops to replace the whoopies and loop them over a marlin spike hitch in conventional tree straps. In this photo the tree strap is inside a piece of bicycle inner tube to prevent slipping...

IMG_3970 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    DIY SPE
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    I made two 10 inch continuous loops for each end. One was lark's headed around the ridgepole and went up to the quick links on the hinge. The other was lark's headed around the hammock end and looped over the ridgepole behind the other larks head to the hinge.

It is the perfect length from the floor for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    HH Dia. & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post
    I made two 10 inch continuous loops for each end. One was lark's headed around the ridgepole and went up to the quick links on the hinge. The other was lark's headed around the hammock end and looped over the ridgepole behind the other larks head to the hinge.

Love that setup. Simple and effective.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    this thread helps alot...thanks y'all
    And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2

Hammock
    DIY Custom Zilla Bridge
    Tarp
    Zilla tarp/custom
    Insulation
    Uderquilts.com
    Suspension
    Readystrap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrrka View Post

I also like this setup, simple and very effective, i was debating how to hang my hammock on the pipe and this just made up my mind!