Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    If someone has a Supershelter I can borrow for a weekend I am willing to put my BUTT on the line this winter in hopefully down to -30°c temps.
    Well, I tell you what: if you were using only the basic HHSS that would indeed be putting your but on the line at -30C, IMO! For me that is roughly a plus 30F system, though some have gone a good bit lower and done OK. However, if you were going to augment with a CCF pad under the HH pad ( or inside the hammock) as discussed in this thread, or any of the other more tried and true ways of augmenting the HHSS ( like Parkas or down vests and fleece or even a summer weight bag or quilt down in the UC) you might do OK! Remember kwpapke and his HHSS at minus 27F. But I think it's great that you are volunteering for such extremes!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    There was a HHSS for sale in the odds and ends sale today on ebay. $109 not too bad. The undercover alone is about $130.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I purchased an 1/8" InsuLite Sleeping Pads of EVA foam from Lawson with the intent of sewing grosgrain around it to see how well it would work as a substitute for the SS pad. I used to SS pad as a template and cut 2 pads 1 full and one 1/2 to 3/4 but haven't got one of those roundtoits for this yet. I didn't think of using these to supplement, but it sounds like a good idea. Although I don't think they would be a solution for the ground even if the SS pad was sandwiched between.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I purchased an 1/8" InsuLite Sleeping Pads of EVA foam from Lawson with the intent of sewing grosgrain around it to see how well it would work as a substitute for the SS pad. I used to SS pad as a template and cut 2 pads 1 full and one 1/2 to 3/4 but haven't got one of those roundtoits for this yet. I didn't think of using these to supplement, but it sounds like a good idea. Although I don't think they would be a solution for the ground even if the SS pad was sandwiched between.
    I agree: 1/8" would not help my bones much on the ground, though if it was full length I could double it up. Stiil, I'd want a lot more than 1/8, and I don't think the HH OCF pad would be much help at all on the ground. Plus seems like it would be easy to tear it that way.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I'll give it a try this winter. Already forecasting 20's F for tonight here in western Mass!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    OK Guy's looking forward to hearing the reports from Thanksgiving testing. I'm unsure this weekends testing should count with additional heat generated by the massive quantities of all the goodies consumed with all the family feasting going on.

So much to be thankful for!!
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    HH Expl DLX, various DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Why not

When I get back home from Thanksgiving @ the in-laws. I'll give it a try. I'm new to hammocks. My first night in my HHSS was in northern Michigan. It got down to 32 with crazy wind, rain, sleet, snow, back to rain. I made it through, but my tarp came loose and I got about a liter of water collected in the under cover, so I got a little cold and wet in the morning. I'll post again with my experience.
    Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches.
    Gal. 2:20

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe View Post
    When I get back home from Thanksgiving @ the in-laws. I'll give it a try. I'm new to hammocks. My first night in my HHSS was in northern Michigan. It got down to 32 with crazy wind, rain, sleet, snow, back to rain. I made it through, but my tarp came loose and I got about a liter of water collected in the under cover, so I got a little cold and wet in the morning. I'll post again with my experience.
    Wow, 1/2 liter in the undercover at freezing and windy and only a little cold vs severely hypothermic? Not bad!

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Calling on HH Super Shelter (HHSS) folks to experiment with a differeent appr...

I'll be using my SS this weekend. Forecasted mid to low 20s. This will be car camping and I'm taking lots of insulation options. Extra 40 degree bag to put in the SS also have a space blanket and 0 degree sleeping bag. We'll see.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

why?

I can see where the additional pad would add warmth, but I've never gone this route as a pad is not sufficiently multipurpose. I could see a sit pad tucked up underneath the kidneys, but not a full length pad.

At temperatures below freezing where you need more than the SS, you will also need more in-camp clothing such as parkas. I always put the parka underneath the SS when I crawled into the sack, as they don't work well in a sleeping bag.

When winter camping there is a constant struggle to keep the bulk/weight down in the backpack. CCF pads take up a LOT of space, and can't be used as evening insulation while eating, etc.

The Jacks have the right idea with the Sniveller quilt, where it has a headhole to be wearable in camp as a serape, then becomes your topquilt. Can't see where you could do the same with a pad.

So I guess what I am scratching my head on, is even if you can get this configuration to provide good warmth underneath, is it the best choice for lugging around in the backcountry?

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast