Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49
  1. #11
    Turtle Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern MD
    Hammock
    Two custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Posts
    361
    I like the idea too ....

    (maybe more Turtle Creek crap heading to NY! )
    -Turtle Creek

  2. #12
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    214
    I suggested a separate section because it would need it's own rules.

    I don't really like "one offer at a time" thing because it leaves the next guy in line feeling like he needs to exceed the previous offer to get accepted. I for one am more likely to choose something that I need or have an interest in trying over choosing the item with the highest dollar value. "One at a time" also makes it a pain to moderate.
    =========================

    However with with an open "Seller" chooses the offer scenario:

    If you list a backpack for trade
    Bob offers a TQ
    I offer a Jetboil
    Cindy offers a knife
    Joe offers a Zebralight

    You say "I pick Cindy's knife" you guys work out shipping, swap addresses, and you post a "Trade complete" the thread is locked. and thats it.

    =========================

    No hassle on the mods, no policing. Then Bob and Joe and I have our items to list when the next thing we like comes up.

    A few months ago, I really wanted to try an emberlit. I offered a full hammock with stowable netting in trade. I think the guy almost crapped himself.. and by the time I went to post an "I'll take it" someone had beaten me to it, the guy HAD to take the $30, and the hammock went into the closet. (I've since gotten one, so please, no PM's about this)
    Sadly, 9/10 times I make a trade offer to someone and it gets accepted, there's already been an "I'll take it" posted on the item.

    Or like the $100 knife someone just traded me for a bishop bag I could make something they needed /wanted, and the knife was rotting in a drawer.

    These are the things that make the HF community so amazing, people here go above and beyond trying to help each other out that trade like the 2 I listed above seem to be more the norm than the exception.

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

  3. #13
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    I like the idea too ....

    (maybe more Turtle Creek crap heading to NY! )
    Yea, for those of you unaware, I have an entire BAG of stuff I've traded with this man.. I literally call it the " Turtle Creek Kit™ "

    those who saw me playing with the volcano stove at NEHHA saw the Turtle Creek Kit™

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Hammock
    HH Expedition &amp; HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post

    However with with an open "Seller" chooses the offer scenario:

    If you list a backpack for trade
    Bob offers a TQ
    I offer a Jetboil
    Cindy offers a knife
    Joe offers a Zebralight

    You say "I pick Cindy's knife" you guys work out shipping, swap addresses, and you post a "Trade complete" the thread is locked. and thats it.
    Just my two cents but I can see the open "Seller" not only turning into a bidding war with the next guy doing a one up but also some hard feelings being generated between members because of it. While it works out well for the seller, it kind of sucks for the other guy when he puts up his last item and the next guy does a +1.

    I do a bit of trading on other forums and when I make an offer and the seller says "give me till Friday" to think about it (see what comes in that is better), I immediately withdraw my offer and move along.

    Not saying my way is the only way, just saying it is one way and because of it, might limit participation from member who feel like I do.

    The beauty of the PIF thread is you claim something you want and put up something you don't. There is no waiting, no dickering, simple and clean. That is why I suggested the one at a time approach. Either the seller wants the item being offered, or they do not and everyone know it.

  5. #15
    Two Tents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hadley, Pa.
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    949
    All good ideas and conversations on this. If I do not really know what I want till I see it, as someone said; my offered for trade item doesn't put pressure on the next guy that I see. If that item is wanted for the trade then it's done or passed on; next trade offer comes in and is taken or passed. The deal doesn't get bigger as it is the choice of the person accepting the trade. I'd like choices when trading something I'm not using. Just my view. This all has potential.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

  6. #16
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    214
    Which is why my initial post suggested something like a super pif, but I stopped in favor of the trade bit because I can see there being to much left for interpretation.. Like if we limit to "high end" items
    My material cost on a DIY hammock is $80-90 depending on what is in it. But there's also the time consideration. Is that worth a trade on a $150 tarp? Maybe not to you, but maybe to the next guy in line.


    I think we're all adult enough to not get our feelings hurt by stuff like this. Most of the people I've dealt with appear to be (mostly) mature adults.

    It needs work, and it needs refinement. But I think it's doable.

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

  7. #17
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    All good ideas and conversations on this. If I do not really know what I want till I see it, as someone said; my offered for trade item doesn't put pressure on the next guy that I see. If that item is wanted for the trade then it's done or passed on; next trade offer comes in and is taken or passed. The deal doesn't get bigger as it is the choice of the person accepting the trade. I'd like choices when trading something I'm not using. Just my view. This all has potential.
    Like this



    never would I have set out saying "I want something that looks like an aluminum bottle that's also a really funky stove" But it was offered to me, and I said what the heck, I want to try it.

    It's now my go to wood stove. I love it, and I will NEVER part with it. It's one of those happy accidents.

    The "Trade subforum" also allows lesser items to be listed, instead of just items of "X dollar amount"

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Hammock
    HH Expedition &amp; HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    It needs work, and it needs refinement. But I think it's doable.
    I agree 100%. I like the discussion because I would hope it gives the mods some more food for thought as they work out details or choose not to do it at all.

    I know when I was doing design work, the more input I got the better the finished product was when it rolled out. Of course that does imply that I did work at some point

  9. #19
    Just Hanging Out Mumbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kingston, WA
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, HK2001
    Tarp
    HG CF,BCUSA on CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/WB Buckles
    Posts
    869
    I could be described as a compulsive buyer and trader of gear for outdoor activities on other online forum. I strongly agree with the trade form being separate with its own set of rules. I think those rule should be non-constraining with regard to order or value. I do not think the first "I'll take it" model fits here.

    I agree that if I have several unused items, each of which may have a fairly high dollar value, but each relegated to back up duty in my storage area I should get to determine what I want. I understand the desire for transparency so people can somewhat monitor or track what is transpiring, I'm not sure that is fundamentally necessary. If I have an item that I'm not trying to sell but trade I may be looking for a very specific item that my kit seems to need. I also may just be trying to test the waters and see what this piece of nice but unused gear of mine could get me in the trade commodity area. Whether those come to me via a series of private messages or a series of offers from potentially interested trade partners, so be it. If others can see this and get offended because my offer is better than your offer or feel like I merely holding their offer and looking for a better deal then withdraw your offer and the trade initiator should get the message.

    I truly believe in most of the trade dealings that I've had with fly fishing and hunting gear that they do not Indep being dollar for dollar equal but are mutually agreed-upon as trades that improve my own personal kit collection or equipment. I think that is the intent and as the intent should be honored and it's pure form, I'm not sure that requires much moderation or much input from people who's trade offer just does not quite meet what the requester is looking for.

    In principle I really like the idea, and believe that this idea in its simplest presentation inform will likely service community well, recycle a lot of gear, allow people to try many new things, and feel like everyone is always getting something new because their gears moving from closet the closet the closet. I don't see anything wrong with that.

    I like to consider myself geared rich and money poor. I love trading items.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  10. #20
    Thread Injector hk2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Hammock
    Single Layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MrPrez Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    W.Hook/D. Buckle
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    I like to consider myself geared rich and money poor. I love trading items.
    Thats the spirit behind the suggestion. I'm not allowed to spend money on outdoor gear.. when I do, I go overboard, then I get in trouble.

    If there's worry about people getting miffed and hurt feelings, then make it a forum where you List the item, and it works like a blind auction. People PM the potential trades and the "seller" lists when the item has been traded. No one sees the other offers but the "seller"

    I don't particularly care for this option, but it's a possibility.


    I've done dozens of trades on these forums. A lot "over the table", publically. and some via PM. I have NEVER once had a problem on one. And to the best of my knowledge there has been very little problems with trades ever on the forums.

    But something like that would be up to the mods to chime in on.

    @xxxxx[=====> Pif Spread Sheet <=====]xxxxx@

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •