WWM
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?

Pad+Underquilt to go lower?

So I have been tinkering with the idea of combining a pad in a double layer with a TeWa Summer Breeze ( had this alone down to 37 deg.) to drop my kit down to lower 20's. I haven't spent the night using a pad yet and I'm not to sure about the temp I'm going to safe to drop to but I would like to figure this out to add a option for those Oh Crap it's getting colder than forecasted nights.

Anyone have a good experience with this set up?

Probably will keep you from freezing... I have added a pad to get to lower temps, but without a pad extender my shoulders/elbows still got cold. Does help with CBS.

Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I used a pad and a 20* UQ with my WBRR last winter when it got down to 22*. I was toasty warm. The pad was a bit narrow and the UQ snugged up the sides. Not sure if I could have just used the UQ since it was a 20*, I just wanted to check out the pad with it. I recommend you check it out in the yard first, so you have a bailout. Good luck to you.
    Happy Hangin!!!

AKA BajaHanger

You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A CCF pad is more insulation. More insulation always helps. ;-) If you have fleece in your kit it will also act as a good insulator around shoulders or knee's as it does not compress nearly as much as down. If you already have an under quilt it won't take a lot in those areas. Folding and/or rolling it into a multi layer pad is more effective than wearing it.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator-20/40
    Images
    I usually carry a small piece of the windshield sun shade, about 20"x22" or so. It weighs nothing but it's a nice backup if your butt/back gets cold. Unfortunately half the time I used it I ended up with some pretty heavy condensation making my sleeping bag and hammock wet. Works really well though for keeping you warm!

Because of the condensation, I don't think I will ever use a full size pad.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Just make sure the pad is semi flexible so it doesnt interfere with the seals on the quilt.

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quality of pad makes a HUGE difference in all of this.

I know that lots of people are going to say sure you bet a Wally world pad works great. But as always you get what you pay for in this deal. I have bought about 40 pieces of foam over the last couple years from just about every online and retail store selling closed cell foam. The range of performance runs the spectrum. Of all of the different ones I have tried the wally world stuff is the lowest quality and lowest performance relative to size that you can buy. If you want to push your system with the best performance for the least pack volume and greatest warmth then the right pad makes a difference more so than just the fact of having a pad.

My $00.02
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Quality of pad makes a HUGE difference in all of this.

I know that lots of people are going to say sure you bet a Wally world pad works great. But as always you get what you pay for in this deal. I have bought about 40 pieces of foam over the last couple years from just about every online and retail store selling closed cell foam. The range of performance runs the spectrum. Of all of the different ones I have tried the wally world stuff is the lowest quality and lowest performance relative to size that you can buy. If you want to push your system with the best performance for the least pack volume and greatest warmth then the right pad makes a difference more so than just the fact of having a pad.

My $00.02
    OK, the WM is the worst but it is the handiest to experiment with, and I guess the cheapest maybe. But give us the rest of the story: which ones were the best?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-24-2013 at 14:23.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    I second what BillyBob asked Paul. I have the WM eggshell shaped ones I used for snow caving last winter, they are nicer than the ice blue plastic like pads sold right next to them.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Custom Nunatak dwn
    Suspension
    whoop-whoop
    luna pad from nunatak
    cheap and warm