WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Brummel lock vs figure 8 knot

I've been procrastinating for days on making my own Amsteel dog bone - using "internet research" as an excuse.

But one post that considered the addition of brummel to just a straight bury in the eye splice got me thinking that I could avoid the whole thing and just use a figure 8 knot to make the loop and bury the tail on the figure 8 (7/64 am steel = 2.5 inch bury?) - so the figure 8 takes the place of the brummel.

The only downside I can think of - aside from a little aesthetics - is the Figure 8 "weakens" the amsteel a bit. But I am not pulling trucks with this, just suspending a hammock, which I'm guessing is well within the max load of the Amsteel.

So if I don't mind the knot, should I just get on with it - tie the figure 8 and bury the tail. Is that unsafe?

Or I should man up, watch the youtube/read the .pdf files and learn to make a proper brummel locked dog bone?

To knot or not?
    Last edited by designer@quickdata.com; 10-26-2013 at 19:46.

Hammock
    DIY Custom Zilla Bridge
    Tarp
    Zilla tarp/custom
    Insulation
    Uderquilts.com
    Suspension
    Readystrap/buckles
    Images
    Why not knot?, imo there is nothing wrong with using knots if you are sure how to make one that will hold, then why not/ bury the end to make it look cleaner, there is more tnan one way to --- a cat if you know what i meen!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Images
    A knot should do fine, but a locked brummel is really easy. Plus amsteel stretches enough to do this method on both sides...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=13328

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    On the plus side you can make shorter dog bones with figure 8 knots, but I'm a splicing junkie so I'd go that route. Splicing is so easy it's time well spent to learn.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Reflection on the demographics of this forum advises that I note "man up" is just a colloquialism for "get on with it".

In my long life, many times I've seen the best man for the job is a woman. In fact, most of the important elements of my life were taught to me by women. Some of those I can list on this forum include the solution to the four colored cubes problem and the basic structure of all computer programming.

Now that I know I can fall back on the figure 8 if I get jammed up. Or use a straight bury with a stitch lock, I can cut a length of Amsteel and just go to town.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by designer@quickdata.com View Post
    ...and just use a figure 8 knot to make the loop and bury the tail on the figure 8 (7/64 am steel = 2.5 inch bury?) - so the figure 8 takes the place of the brummel....
    I imagine you can get by with the figure 8 and bury because you will be splitting the weakened "a bit" (actually will derate the amsteel to ~35% of listed minimum breaking strength) areas between two legs. I would use a normal 4-6" bury.

But, as others have stated, just learn to make an eye splice with a locked brummel and be done with it. Once you've got the hang of it you'll wonder why you ever considered using knots.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    You can learn and make the locked brummel quicker than proper lock stitching. In case you need it though, here's Samson's recommended Lock Stitch Procedure.

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The manufacture of Amsteel specifically recommends to splice not knot Amsteel. The extremely slick nature of Amsteel and lead it to slip undone from a knot and the derating of the line can run as high as 50% depending on the knot and how it is tied. Splicing is not that difficult to pick up. Invest the time, it's worth it in the long run.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Okay, I am now a brummel lock eye loop making son-of-a-gun. I haven't yet moved to the McDonald Brummel for putting a lock on it with access to only one end of the line - so I have to pull the full loop through the amsteel for the second lock on the other end. Sort of like a boa constrictor eating a baby elephant getting that double line through - but it works.

Though it will hold a lot, I am going to toss my first dog bone away because I snagged too many extra fibers. #'s 2 and 3 are usable.

Here a hint for timid beginners like me - use the Grey Amsteel. Most the videos show marking the Amsteel at various lengths. You can see those black felt pen marks on the grey (or Yellow, probably orange). I started with Black Amsteel and couldn't find anything to leave a visible mark. Not so much of a problem as I had a ruler right there and it was easy enough to hold a measured location. But with a lighter color I think you will see more what you are doing.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    HQ issue 11 x11
    Insulation
    No sew PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you get some free time try the McDonald Brummell method. I never even heard of splicing before finding this site. I had to watch a YouTube about it maybe 50 times while doing it for the first time. But once I got it the first time it really clicked. Now this is my preferred method to make the locked brummell.