Thunderbird 1.9 double
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    20 degree Zeppelin
    Suspension
    whoopie

Underquilt for 11 foot T'bird?

My 11 ft x 67" T'Bird (#511) arrived a couple of months ago. Thanks, Randy, for the great workmanship. I'm a total hammock newb, so have some questions:

I've only been able to get out for two weekends and have worked out the rigging so I'm pretty comfortable. Still have a slight calf-ridge that I'd like to lose. It seems like the calf ridge is reduced if the strap angle is just a little less than 30 degrees, but I may be imagining that. Also, the calf ridge tends to push my feet together, and I'd like some more space there.

I was out last weekend on the coast of Maine and temps dipped just below 30F. I have a Themarest between the double bottom layers and it helped quite a bit with bottom insulation, but I want a more for the winter.

Who makes full length UQs for a long/wide TBird? I'd like to find one that's a good fit right out of the box so I don't have to fiddle with it.

TIA,
    Art W.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Do you really need an UQ the whole length of the hammock? How tall are you? If you truly need one that long, I bet that any of the cottage UQ makers would make one to your specifications. I'm trying to remember what UQ's I've seen on 11 footers, but I'm old and forgetful. If I remember, I'll post.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I just bought a 0* Incubator for my recent obsessive, but very satisfying, purchase of an 11' BIAS WWM. I wanted to separately buy the DIY 20* 3/4 camo down quilt that was being sold w/it as a pkg, but it was such a good price.....ended up getting both. It's gonna work just fine, as will most any full length UQ, from what I read here. The UQ widths, from what I understand, are generous. The UQ doesn't have to match the hammock width....just wraps enough to come up around the shoulders, torso & footbox. I think I read about possible condensation problems if the UQ is too high on the sides. Those with more experience can verify or correct my info on that front.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Underquilt for 11 foot T'bird?

Quote Originally Posted by baiku View Post
    My 11 ft x 67" T'Bird (#511) arrived a couple of months ago. Thanks, Randy, for the great workmanship. I'm a total hammock newb, so have some questions:

I've only been able to get out for two weekends and have worked out the rigging so I'm pretty comfortable. Still have a slight calf-ridge that I'd like to lose. It seems like the calf ridge is reduced if the strap angle is just a little less than 30 degrees, but I may be imagining that. Also, the calf ridge tends to push my feet together, and I'd like some more space there.

I was out last weekend on the coast of Maine and temps dipped just below 30F. I have a Themarest between the double bottom layers and it helped quite a bit with bottom insulation, but I want a more for the winter.

Who makes full length UQs for a long/wide TBird? I'd like to find one that's a good fit right out of the box so I don't have to fiddle with it.

TIA,
    Art W.
    Give Paul and Missy a call at UGQ. they are great to work with and do great custom work.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Under quilt size is not related to hammock size. The purpose of the under quilt is to insulate you from the bottom/lower sides. So no matter how big the hammock is you remain the same size. Proper placement of the UQ is the important part on larger hammocks. Our secondary suspension allows for head to foot locating of the under quilt and tri-rings along the primary suspension channel allow for connecting the under quilt to hammock guy outs to prevent shoulder creep. Missy Lou uses a 11'x62" DH and our Zeppelin UQ fits it great....Randy has several of our UQ's as well...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Thunderbird 60 from Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DIY TQ &amp; UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Can't wait to receive mine!!!!

Waiting for myT'Bird 60, #671, it should be awesome!!!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I have an 11' with 9' ridgeline hammock I make and the Incubator from hammockgear works great... I have both 20 and 0 Deg...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ &amp; UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook

Underground quilts

These guys are top notch. Get in touch with Paul from Underground Quilts!

I have an 11 ft Thunderbird and just hung in it for the first time with a zeppelin full length underquilt. perfect!
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baiku View Post
    Still have a slight calf-ridge that I'd like to lose. It seems like the calf ridge is reduced if the strap angle is just a little less than 30 degrees, but I may be imagining that. Also, the calf ridge tends to push my feet together, and I'd like some more space there.
    TIA,
    Art W.
    If you are getting any ridge pressure you are not getting asym enough. Keep wiggling more sideways and you should fall right into that sweet spot.
    You should have no ridge pressure in a Dream Hammock no matter what the hang angle is.

All my hammocks are 11'ers and all UQ's will fit but you might have to add 12" of shockcord to the suspension if you buy an older used UQ.

Best of luck.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 1.9 double
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    20 degree Zeppelin
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Been away for a while, thanks to all!

As for as calf ridges, I'm cranked around sideways as far as I can go: feet and face in the zippers. It's not bad, but I want more . I use a half-inflated Thermarest pad between the bottom layers, and it helps.

I think the strap angle, and therefore the ridgeline tension, is the key to comfort, but I haven't tried all the variables.

Thanks for the links to UQ suppliers, I'm checking this out.

Art W.
    Cooling off in NH.

• + New Posts