DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Question about DIY tactical ripstop...

I've got some of the 1.1 breathable ripstop from DIY Tactical. I was thinking about using what was left over as a topquilt cover. Does anyone know if it's downproof? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zdank View Post
    I've got some of the 1.1 breathable ripstop from DIY Tactical. I was thinking about using what was left over as a topquilt cover. Does anyone know if it's downproof? Thanks!
    I've got some of that stuff also.

I've not tried using it in a down application, and don't think I would.
    It is considerably more porous than the 1.1 DWR stuff I've used.

Might be though that it would be useable if you did a DWR treatment on it, that would seal up some of the space I'd guess.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    If I applied a DWR (probably sprayed or maybe a Nikwax wash in), would that add enough weight to make it worse than the 1.1 breathable nylon from various cloth stores? Would Momentum90 be a big upgrade from either of these materials?

Images
    Momentum-90 is really nice. In my opinion, it's worth the extra money. If you would like to see a sample, pm me your address and I'll send you a small piece.

i think it's the calendaring process that makes downproof ripstop hard to blow through, the chemical dwr may not change the breathability much. it might still be down proof though, i know cotton comforters and things aren't calendared and they are used, may be a higher thread count though. you can make a little pillow sac and put in a handfull of feathers and then sew shut and toss in the dryer to find out for sure.

common calendared 1.1 will be downproof and silkier (than the 1.1 diy dig camo anyway) , and probably alot more affordable than m90.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The mom90 isn't lighter than the 1.1. On another thread, one person (2?) posted that their mom90 came out to 1.2 delivered.

A lot of people like the feel of the mom90 and it is supposed to be a tighter weave with an advanced DWR treatment. The tighter weave is good for down proofness.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    A lot of people like the feel of the mom90 and it is supposed to be a tighter weave with an advanced DWR treatment. The tighter weave is good for down proofness.
    I'm one of those people. It really does feel nice against the skin. However, I won't be doing another all Mom90 quilt. Just isn't worth the cost. I'll continue to use the Mom90 taffeta for the inner shell, but back to plain ole ripstop for the outer shell at 1/3 the price.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    The mom90 isn't lighter than the 1.1. On another thread, one person (2?) posted that their mom90 came out to 1.2 delivered.

I like the feel of Mom90. Very happy with it. I figured for the amount of use I would get it would be worth the extra cost.

Downproof is a little misleading. It's the quills (feathers) that poke through. The down itself doesn't have anything worth poking through. A good reason to go to nice down. Something talked about a bunch, but figured it was worth mentioning.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Whether anything is down proof depends on the grade of down. The TIY stuff is certainly adequate to contain top quality 900 cu.in. down. Down of lesser quality contains quills and will shred the lightly calendered DIY fabric.

The main argument against the DIY stuff is that is is not at all wind or water resistant -- especially wind. That makes it a poor choice for either a down or synthetic fill quilt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think it's the calendaring process that makes downproof ripstop hard to blow through, the chemical dwr may not change the breathability much. it might still be down proof though, i know cotton comforters and things aren't calendared and they are used, may be a higher thread count though. you can make a little pillow sac and put in a handfull of feathers and then sew shut and toss in the dryer to find out for sure.

common calendared 1.1 will be downproof and silkier (than the 1.1 diy dig camo anyway) , and probably alot more affordable than m90.
    I was thinking of making the "sample" as you suggested to see if it will work. Can I use cheap down from a pillow to simulate the 850 fill power I will eventually use?

Also, could I use synthetic insulation with this material, or would it HAVE to be downproof to use for a syntheti quilt?