WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Laudau foam combo

I posted a week or so ago about just taping pads together to simulate a SPE. The whole reason I started thinking about this was to be able to carry a 30" pad in or on my pack. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the pad would still be too thick when rolled up.

Here's my solution. From Warbonnetguy's recommendation I ordered some landau foam from: http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site/index.cfm. I used a 3/4 length of 1/4" foam cut 24" wide as my main insulation. Under this I used a 3/4 length of 1/8" foam cut 30" wide. The whole setup weighs 10oz.

This gave me 3/8" inch of foam underneath my torso and 1/8" for my shoulders and knees. This setup was somewhat easy to get in my pack. I used the 1/4" foam rolled around the inside of my pack with everything stuffed inside it. The 1/8" was rolled up and then folded in half and placed in the very top of my pack. I think that this setup is much easier to handle in a pack than one piece of 3/8" of foam and provides nearly as much warmth.

I tried this setup out this weekend with the low around 50 degrees. I was toasty hot and I'm a skinny cold sleeper. My last time in the hammock was about the same conditions and I used an old red thermarest. The landau pad setup was much warmer and I didn't get any cold spots on my shoulders or knees.

KY Chris
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Images
    Interesting... what did the foam end up costing you with shipping and all that?