Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Don't know if " just what I needed to hear." means I gave you some useful information or you mean "thanks for being the bearer of bad news". Either way I hope it was helpful.
    sorry if that wasn't clear, but I meant it in a good way because now I have something specific to work on. With the multitude of source I've come across so far listing a CCF pad for bottom insulation, it's nice to have someone go into more specifics about how well they work (or don't work) and what I need to address.

Like someone said earlier, lack of focus for answers here are mainly my fault as I was asking about too many things in one thread, and you focused in on something that I really needed to solve and nobody else had really touched upon.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Wife just scored two walmart 32f bags online for $40 apiece. 90% duck down.
    you wouldn't have a link? Can't find anything on the walmart site

I'd be interested in that link as well my dad needs a new bag and if it's the ozark trail one I just might get it

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Warmth and damp hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Lythe View Post
    you wouldn't have a link? Can't find anything on the walmart site
    Just found out wasn't $40 per. It was $65 per with a sleeping pad. I'll get the link in a minute.

But she picked them up today. Really nice mummy bags for the price.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Warmth and damp hiking

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...00000027727770

On my phone. Hope the link works.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Warmth and damp hiking

These bags may be a little small for someone over 6'. But they do pack really small. And would make a good top quilt.

Images

Warmth and damp hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Lythe View Post
    sorry if that wasn't clear, but I meant it in a good way because now I have something specific to work on. With the multitude of source I've come across so far listing a CCF pad for bottom insulation, it's nice to have someone go into more specifics about how well they work (or don't work) and what I need to address.

Like someone said earlier, lack of focus for answers here are mainly my fault as I was asking about too many things in one thread, and you focused in on something that I really needed to solve and nobody else had really touched upon.
    Excellent glad it was useful info! Walmart has a 20" wide blue pad that has got some folks around here to the 30s or even 20s, and they are really cheap(but heavier than your pad). but it's not wide enough by itself to keep shoulders warm. They also make a 24" or maybe wider pad, which might be just barely wide enough, but I don't know if it is quite as warm as the 20" pad. There is the ENO Hot Spot which has CCF wings to keep shoulders and hips warm, and you insert a 20" Walmart pad or 2 of the pads like u have, whatever it takes to be warm enough.
    Of course, there's always UQS and PeaPods and such, but then u r into the $.

Lastly, if your bag is big enough and has a full zipper, there is the homemade PeaPod approach, where u wrap the bag around the entire hammock. Shug has great videos on that approach. (If you can get the hammock net out of the way)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-16-2013 at 20:45.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    TLG Single
    To cut down on food weight, I make my own MRE's via "Freezer Bag Cooking". Not only is it lighter, but it's almost mess free.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    backpackinglight.com is a great source of ideas, experience, and absurdity. Check out the forums with a sense of humor, you'll learn a lot and get a good laugh.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I may get slammed for this idea, but consider a lightweight tent for 2. Your total weight in the tent scenario may be less because it can be shared by 2. This might also be something you can borrow from somebody to keep the costs down. Is the dream to complete the WTC, or to complete the WCT while hammocking?
    The trick to convincing a woman to a point of view is to let her arrive there via her own path and pace. My gear talk and weight calculations have infected her with her plans of UQ and TQ, and suddenly she's not comfortable in a hammock and it's tent time without me saying a thing.

No problem though, did some research and the TentTarp StatoSpire2 weighs less than my hammock (and that's not counting the stock fly on the HH). I'll still be tweaking my hammock setups for solo trips (and family visits) but it looks like her HH asym will stay in the closet until the kids get older and need it. Any shelters to recommend that would compare to the StratoSpire2? (it seems the better choice over a Double Rainbow). Do the tarptents ever go on sale?

Also any sleeping arrangement for grounders (bag+pad) that gives the comfort and freedom of a TQ? She'll still be making her own and finds mummy bags too constricting.
    Last edited by Lythe; 11-18-2013 at 02:09.