TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle

Exped scout combi

I am a noob to hammock camping but given that I am seem to sleep cold anytime the temp drops below 55 degrees F, I am considering only hammocks with a dedicated pad sleeve. I know Exped's scout and ergo have sleeves for sleeping pads (of which I have about 8 - the wife gave me an the "look" when she realized how many I had acquired surreptiously) and I think Hennessy has one as well as does the Harmony bliss sky. I am trying to keep my initial investment below $200ish with tarp and bug netting, which the Exped Scout combi meets. Which rules out the Exped Ergo combi, which seems to have issues that need to be resolved based on a HF member's YouTube video review.

Has anyone used it? Is it possible to use a different suspension system? Any other recommendations?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. I am 5'6" in shoes and about 145 pounds so length is not an issue for me.

Penfold
    Discretion is the better of valor

How wide is the sleeve? Shoulders need about 40 inches, so two pads in a "T" shape, or "wings" a.k.a SPE, needs to work with the sleeve. Wide pads are only 26 inches, meaning cold elbows etc.

If you have long wide inflatables, then check out the wider hammocks, they fit much better. Eno doublenest maybe.
    Last edited by dakine; 11-15-2013 at 00:14.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    ......... I am considering only hammocks with a dedicated pad sleeve. I know Exped's Scout and Ergo have sleeves for sleeping pads
    The Ergo does have a sewn pad sleeve which is an exact fit for an Exped LW pad, with a zip at both ends of the sleeve. The Scout doesn't have a 'pad sleeve' but does allow you to put a pad between the double layers of the hammock, and orient the pad in any direction you want. I think (?) most double (DL) hammocks allow this but you should check.
    The Scout is a (common) gathered end hammock and you will probably need 'wings' or other pad 'mods' to keep warm, as the hammock will be touching/squeezing your shoulders. This is different than the Ergo where the hammock is held away from your shoulders (unless your shoulders are very wide!) and your top quilt or sleeping bag can keep you warm.

I am trying to keep my initial investment below $200ish with tarp and bug netting, which the Exped Scout combi meets. Which rules out the Exped Ergo combi,
    Yes the Ergo is above your price limit, though it does come on sale occasionally. I got a good buy (but more than $200) on a (barely) used Ergo here at HF, but haven't seen another for sale here since.

which seems to have issues that need to be resolved based on a HF member's YouTube video review.
    Do you have a link to that video? I like my Ergo; it's a great hammock.

Has anyone used it? Is it possible to use a different suspension system? Any other recommendations?
    I've only used the Ergo.
    Most of the videos I've seen of Exped hammocks seem to be of prototypes or older models. I think all the Expeds come with 1" webbing tree straps which attach to the excellent eyelet line. I'd recommend using the stock suspension a few times before changing to something different.

My recommendations:
    1) Try to get an Ergo! The early Ergos weren't good for folks over 5'11" or so, so you might be able to grab one of those from somewhere. The Ergo has a sewn body, so not good for the 'hefty' crowd - again not a problem for you.
    2) There are probably other choices similar to the Scout out there, but check the feature set carefully when comparing. I wouldn't want to use an bugnet that wasn't zipper closing, for example. (I have been in bug country (not now) and even one bug inside when you are sleeping can be irritating. And they will find their way inside though most any opening....)
    3) The tarp that came with my Ergo is excellent (large and well-designed).

If you're a noob to hammock camping, I would not suggest a hammock that limits your under-insulation options to a 25 inch wide pad in a sleeve. I've never had good luck on a setup less than 40 inches wide at the shoulders.

In particular, the exped synmat long/wide has always left me cold at 40F and not very comfortable. But it is awesome on the ground.

If you have a closet full of pads, then maybe try a double layer hammock, and arrange a "T" shape with two pads, an SPE, or two pads overlapped and fanned out (which is what I do).

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    If you're a noob to hammock camping, I would not suggest a hammock that limits your under-insulation options to a 25 inch wide pad in a sleeve. I've never had good luck on a setup less than 40 inches wide at the shoulders.
    That's good advice for a gathered end (like the Exped Scout) or bridge hammock, where the hammock is constricting your insulation.

The Ergo is different. I find it very warm and comfy with my Downmat 9 LW

That's a beautiful looking system. Only thing is the elbows/knees extending beyond the edge of the pad. I have a pad with the same dimensions, and have to sleep pretty "straight", with arms and legs in, on those very cold nights. It's luxurious on the ground though (no convection to deal with).

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    First, it would be good to know what kind of pad you're going to use. Anything other than the 26" Exped pads, or 25" Neo pads will require some additional side insulation. Having used the Exped LW downmat before, even in a gathered end hammock, I can tell you that from my experience, that is plenty of width.

I used mine in a ridgerunner with good success in terms of warmth - but it raised me up so that my knees would hit the rigid sides of the hammock, and I didn't care for that. Others haven't had that issue, and you may not as well. That said, if I was going to use a pad, I believe I'd get the older model JRB Bear Mt bridge (not the UL since it doesn't have the pad sleeve) since the pad essentially negates the squeeze issues folks have had with that one, and its more affordable - especially right now - than the Exped scout.

With a CCF pad, the ridgerunner issue is probably lessened so that I might make that my first choice.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Thanks for all the info.

For VictoriaGuy here are the links to a three part YouTube review of the exped ergo combi:
    Part 1: http://youtu.be/9qpQUHVTOhQ
    Part 2: http://youtu.be/Ks1z4HCn4FE
    Part 3: http://youtu.be/5i07UrRBTQ8

I may have been mistaken about whether the guy is a HF member. And thanks for the pics you have a lovely family.

I do have a medium length wide exped mat Synmat 7 as well as a Nemo insulated cosmo which is also 26" wide, which is wide enough for me because I have a light build. Maybe if I get a good bonus I will consider the ergo. Do you find that you would not need an under quilt if you used an exped mat.

Thanks again for all the input.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    For VictoriaGuy here are the links to a three part YouTube review of the exped ergo combi:
    Part 1: http://youtu.be/9qpQUHVTOhQ
    Part 2: http://youtu.be/Ks1z4HCn4FE
    Part 3: http://youtu.be/5i07UrRBTQ8
    Thanks; I'd seen those videos and I thought 'Yukon' was pretty positive about the Ergo. He was reviewing the earlier version of the Ergo which is a bit (2"?) shorter than the current model, and the length was his main beef. There's another video on YouTube where a (Canadian?) guy is not at all positive, but he doesn't seem to know much about hammocks, and he says that he has back problems and was expecting the hammock to be the solution. Sounds like he only spent a few minutes in the Ergo before deciding to send it back, so I was not too convinced.
    And thanks for the pics you have a lovely family.
    That's not me! (Thanks anyhow.) Pic was just one I found via Google Image search - it shows the 'open' Ergo hammock well- really different from other hammocks. I'd slept in a 'side-constricting'-type hammock years ago (Forrest Wall Hammock) and I knew I didn't want anything of that type.
    I do have a medium length wide exped mat Synmat 7 as well as a Nemo insulated cosmo which is also 26" wide, which is wide enough for me because I have a light build. Maybe if I get a good bonus I will consider the ergo. Do you find that you would not need an under quilt if you used an exped mat.
    I don't have any plans to camp in snowy conditions in my Ergo, but with the Downmat9LW it's been super comfy down to 'near-freezing'. I recently got a Nemo air pad and I think it would be OK in the Ergo as well, though the Exped pad is a better fit in the sleeve pocket- fills it right up. I use a sleeping bag, partly zipped, like a top quilt. It works well. I wanted a hammock that could use my tenting gear - pad and bag - and that was part of the appeal of the Ergo. I probably wouldn't hammock camp if I needed to buy a underquilt.

I think you should consider the Ergo - you are the perfect size (slim, medium height) for it.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    How do you like your Nemo pad? I have two of theirs and four of their tents so I recommend them to any and all. Their customer service is great as well.

Thanks for your input on the Exped ergo, I really appreciate the input.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast