Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    People have been happy with .51 cuben. It is definitely strong enough.

I am particularly rough on my gear so I have gone with .74 on both of my cuben shelters.
    .74 is half again as heavy as .51, but still much lighter, stronger and less stretch than silnylon.

Z-packs, Mountain Laurel and others will make their gear with .74 if you really feel insecure.

Most agree that .74 is overkill. .51 is still stronger than silnylon. But .51 is not as abrasive resistant, which normally shouldn't be an issue with a tarp, backpack yes, but how much abrasion does a tarp see?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 SL "Black Bird" Clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    as nothing sticks to sil.
    That's not exactly true. I've patched sil using a piece of sil, and GE clear silicone caulk as a "glue". Apply a bit to the patch material, lay it in the affected area and use a credit card like object to spread it thin. Wipe up the excess with a paper towel.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The best part is it is repairable. I piece of tape fixes it where as nothing sticks to sil.
    You need the right product for any job:
    http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/sil-fix#10465

Quote Originally Posted by Bammacker View Post
    For those of you with cuben fiber, how fragile is this stuff? I would like to save the weight, but I'm not sure if it will tear under normal use? Thanks.
    not fragile but not military grade...will not tear under normal use.
    normal use- during normal use, I don't see anything that could hurt the tarp. I would recommend not leaving the tarp up in the sun if basecamping.
    I guess repeatedly stuffing or folding can lead to thinned out spots(probably like any material), but, my guess is you'd get your moneys worth before that happened.

if a person has torn a sil or any other lightweight material, cuben(or other lightweight materials) may not be for that person. kind of like if a person constantly gets their sleeping bag wet, down insulation may not be for that person.
    Last edited by cliffhanger; 11-18-2013 at 12:14.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Be aware that there are several different types of cuben, but the stronger more abrasive resistant versions aren't so popular for shelter material because that kind of abrasive resistance is not needed.

Z-packs and others use some of these more abrasive resistant versions for things like ponchos and ground cloths and they are very durable.

I know I have drybags and a bear bag made out of one of these more durable versions and they have held up better than any material I have ever used for such purposes.

I Learn So Others Can Too FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Hammock
    Bonefire UL
    Tarp
    Cuben 10'x8'
    Insulation
    Integrated& DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps&DIY buckles
    Images
    I love my cuben tarp, but I have to be careful with it, like all my UL gear. I keep it off the ground and always look up to try not to set up under deadfall. It is super easy to repair and very light. I've put mine though several pack ups and put aways without any issues. If you can afford ti and follow general care procedures, you should be fine.
    -Jeremy

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube
    My Trail Journal
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Have had no issues with my HG Winter Palace and it has taken a beatin
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Eno Dbl. Nest, wbbb xlc dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    12' Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies, cinch
    Honestly it's really tough stuff. I got my hands on some spare material from my tarp and the stuff is pretty tough. Unless your trying to poke through it deliberately It is pretty hard to rip or tear. Just my 2cents