HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I like the enthusiasm! I'm looking forward catching up with you guys.

Just a thought... Valens is a great venue because of it's fairly central location, easy access and above all, it's heated washrooms, but last year, I had the chance to winter camp at Silent Lake Provincial Park near Bancroft with Quiet, and had a great time. It's a little further for some/closer for others but it's more remote without being deep "in the bush". I don't think we were much more than a 20-30 minute walk from our vehicle. The Park even has yurts for the more sensible winter campers who choose not to brave the elements armed with only nylon, feathers and whoopie slings. Ice-fishing's an option as well.

I'm still good with Valens, I just wanted to float the idea of another venue. Dates remain unchanged.

I found this random youtube video that looks like it just might be in the bay we camped beside..

Cheers,
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As much as I'd love to go to Silent Lake, I'd only be going for one night and it would be an extra 3 hours drive for me. Valens is more convenient for me to zip away for the night and return home early the next morning. If it ends up any further than Valens, then I probably can't go. Whatever the majority of people decide on is cool.
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-24-2013 at 15:15.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hammock Universe Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    EE RevalatonX 20
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Silent lake is better for me (Toots and I went car-camping there this summer) it's closer, and there's trout in that lake... of course, I'm not sure about the season.

Either place is fine for me. I'll be setting up in the dark on Friday either way.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    Hey all!

Sounds like a great prep trip! Thinking about it now, probably pass on Valens. It's a bit too much driving for a 1-2 night car camping trip, since I'll be driving back from Michigan visiting family for the holidays shortly before.

Silent Lake would be a possibility, but I understand it's not exactly following the credo of these types of trips, which usually consists of an easy access location to test out winter gear, and the option of bailing in emergencies to heated facilities or the car.

Either way I'll keep an eye on this thread in case my mind changes. Hope there's a good turnout!

Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Images
    Valens... Silent Lake... doesn't matter. I'm in. Putting it on the calendar now.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Hennesey Exp. Asym.
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Insultex&Air Core
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Canada>Ontario>Valens>EGL Gearing Up for Winter 2013-2014

I'm tempted to get up there again. Great people and a great place to hang.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Hammock Universe Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    EE RevalatonX 20
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Well, I hung in my in-laws woods on Saturday night. I woke up in -12C, still moderately warm.

I'm using a 20 degree sleeping bag and poncho liner layered together as an underquilt, and I added a layer of reflectix between for this hang. I have a -20 degree sleeping bag as top quilt, and I added a flannel sheet as a top cover (over the ridgeline, tucked around in between hammock and underquilt).

I woke up with the flannel sheet wet and frosty, otherwise good. However, as soon as I stepped out of the hammock for my morning visit, I realised that the REST of my gear (ie: shoes) are not up to the task.

So, unless I magically aquire a pair of boots between now and then (and I might) I'm probably not going to make it to the winter hang this year.

Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 80083r View Post
    Well, I hung in my in-laws woods on Saturday night. I woke up in -12C, still moderately warm.

I'm using a 20 degree sleeping bag and poncho liner layered together as an underquilt, and I added a layer of reflectix between for this hang. I have a -20 degree sleeping bag as top quilt, and I added a flannel sheet as a top cover (over the ridgeline, tucked around in between hammock and underquilt).

I woke up with the flannel sheet wet and frosty, otherwise good. However, as soon as I stepped out of the hammock for my morning visit, I realised that the REST of my gear (ie: shoes) are not up to the task.

So, unless I magically aquire a pair of boots between now and then (and I might) I'm probably not going to make it to the winter hang this year.
    Have a look in Value Village, or, as my wife calls it "Chez VV". They usually have snowmobile boots there at a reasonable price. With felt liners, you can take 'em out and keep them warm in the bag wth you.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post
    Silent Lake would be a possibility, but I understand it's not exactly following the credo of these types of trips, which usually consists of an easy access location to test out winter gear, and the option of bailing in emergencies to heated facilities or the car.
    You're right of course; the "Gearing Up" should really be about a "controlled" testing of our cold weather gear. Silent lake might be pushing the bounds a little too far. 30 minutes walk at 3am at -30c could be rather unpleasant.

Glad to hear you're trying things out first. Condensation's a major problem as the temperatures dip. I've woken up in the morning and found my mosquito netting frosted over and the collar of my down top quilt damp, if not downright wet, with condensation. Luckily it was my last night and I was able to dry things out at home. A bib of some kind was very useful and helped me avoid a repeat during my next outing. Also, to avoid frost dropping onto your topquilt you might want to consider letting your flannel sheet drape loosely on the outside of your hammock/quilts. I've seen Quiet use his canvas "envelope" to good effect.

Boots... Yeah, try your local thrift store. Hope to see you out there.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing

What size are your feet?