Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Zliner w/2QZQ UQP
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images

More on the 1-piece Z-liner

I have had a couple of nights to try out the 1-piece Z-liner now.
    The Z-liner fabric is cut and sewn in such a way that it fits evenly along the entire width and length of the hammock. Rather than being a flat rectangular piece it is more bowl shaped like a football that has been sliced in half end to end. Attached with Velcro along the entire length on both sides it won’t shift out of position and has no air gaps.
    I found that I could stuff the hammock with the quilt in place into the storage pocket (but not the outer protector) but it was a tight fit. When hiking I usually stuff my bedding, hammock, and quilt into the bottom of the pack without stuff sacks so I will be able to leave the quilt attached if desired.
    It’s hard to tell exactly, but the Z-liner looks to have about 1” of loft. It looks about the same as the loft on my 20* Wiggys bag which has similar type insulation.
    On the first night I set up and slept indoors. I wanted to see if the Z-liner would be too warm for summer use. Nothing conclusive but at 64 degrees I was comfortable.
    First night outside – predicted low temp = 8* actual = 17* calm, dry
    I set up under the deck, on the patio, no tarp.
    I slept in running tights, long sleeve running shirt, socks.
    I used a Wiggy’s 20* bag inside a Military Patrol bag.
    I was very comfortable all night although I could tell that my bottom side was cooler than my top side but only right in the hip region.
    Second night outside – predicted low temp = 8* actual = 14* calm, dry
    Same setup under deck – same sleeping attire – same sleeping bags.
    This second night was not an ‘apples to apples’ test of the UQ because I wanted to see just how warm and toasty I could actually get so I placed a windshield reflector between the hammock body and the UQ. That did eliminate the slight coolness I had felt the night before but for some reason my feet got very cold about 3am and were cold the rest of the night.
    So, no firm conclusions yet but I am confident I can be comfortable with that setup down into the low 20’s at least (gotta figure out that cold feet issue though). I could probably have done without the doubled sleeping bags and just used one. Temp inside the hammock with weathershield mostly closed was 33*.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Blackbird, NX-250
    Tarp
    clark vertex/WB CB
    Insulation
    Pads,Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    knots
    Images
    Interesting and pleasantly surprised that you were comfortable at 64 ...I don't have a spring/early summer UQ and now I think the z liner will fit the bill.

I got down to 25* week before last and I had the same coolness as you noted on my back...not enough to be painful or be uncomfortable, but it was there. There was no wind. I think that without a supplemental pad or another quilt ( I have noticed people doubling up UQs lately), that I have reached my limit for the z liner (NX model)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post

I got down to 25* week before last and I had the same coolness as you noted on my back...not enough to be painful or be uncomfortable, but it was there. There was no wind. I think that without a supplemental pad or another quilt ( I have noticed people doubling up UQs lately), that I have reached my limit for the z liner (NX model)
    Maybe you would be surprised at the great difference wearing a wool sweater and fleece sweat pants can make. I won't attempt an estimate of temp difference. The effect and benefit, though is the same as the one you get from the thin corrugated and disposable cardboard very partial-overquilt that fits over your waxed paper coffee cup from Moon Doe, Mickey D, etc. Or the thin sit pad under your heels in the footbox of the top quilt.

Over and over, though, that works for me, worth $70+ of temp rating gain; and at least for the sweater, I have other uses for it.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 11-26-2013 at 23:26.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Blackbird, NX-250
    Tarp
    clark vertex/WB CB
    Insulation
    Pads,Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    knots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The effect and benefit, though is the same as the one you get from the thin corrugated and disposable cardboard very partial-overquilt that fits over your waxed paper coffee cup from Moon Doe, Mickey D, etc.
    Good analogy, easily understood.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx full
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I used the TX-250 with the Clark 1 piece Z-Liner in weather that was, I think, in the mid thirties (no wind) and my butt and low back were somewhat chilly. I do sleep cold but I did not think the Z-Liner was enough.

It sure attaches to the hammock nice though. I will supplement it with a 3/4 underquilt in those temps and that should do it.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    I used the TX-250 with the Clark 1 piece Z-Liner in weather that was, I think, in the mid thirties (no wind) and my butt and low back were somewhat chilly. I do sleep cold but I did not think the Z-Liner was enough.

It sure attaches to the hammock nice though. I will supplement it with a 3/4 underquilt in those temps and that should do it.
    It would seem from the other thread on the recent 1 piece Z-Liner, that it is pretty well sealed as an insulation system.

Still, I wonder......Is it possible that the valleys and ridges at the ends of the hammock are allowing warmed air to convect up and out; or is there a pretty good seal? One of the advantages of down is the superior drape, filling those valleys. Even then, some current generation down UQs include additional bolsters at the end as draft stoppers.

Can you have an accomplice look for visual signs of leaks, Tonopah, with you in the hammock?