HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    100% Brooklyn.

Nuff said.

Like good cheese!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

+ HAND-MANUFACTURING
    We embrace the spirit of small-batch, hand-manufacturing and value the textures and variations that make our gear as good as artisanal cheese.

Also, anyone notice:

bush smarts
    wilderness logics

Just foolin around, I'm sure they're good people, who knows maybe they'll find a niche.
    Last edited by dakine; 11-25-2013 at 22:13.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    jvolzer...you might want to educate your friend on the use of 1" tree straps vs. the 3/8" strap they use.

Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    jvolzer...you might want to educate your friend on the use of 1" tree straps vs. the 3/8" strap they use.
    Why on earth would it be his responsibility to 'educate' a gear supplier/producer, be it his friend or not?

This thread has seriously jumped the shark.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Why on earth would it be his responsibility to 'educate' a gear supplier/producer, be it his friend or not?

This thread has seriously jumped the shark.
    I thought of you when I thought of the target audience for their products: a smooth, discerning, affluent urbanite that is style conscious. Don't think I haven't noticed how you color-coordinate all your gear!

And you smell like artisanal cheese at the end of a long day's hike.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    diy 5.0 CSA uq&tq
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Also, anyone notice:

bush smarts
    wilderness logics

wait a minute!
    PitaPata Dog tickers
    you know you have a problem when you ask your mom to buy you a fosters........ for the can!
    my blog: http://tavohikes.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I thought of you when I thought of the target audience for their products: a smooth, discerning, affluent urbanite that is style conscious. Don't think I haven't noticed how you color-coordinate all your gear!

And you smell like artisanal cheese at the end of a long day's hike.
    I'm not so sure I can be considered affluent.

But I am pretty smooth. And I can discern with the best of 'em.

Besides, I stopped color coding my quilts a few years ago. And I don't like cheese.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    I like cheese.

Hey Guys,

Kevin here from Bush Smarts. Disclaimer, I'm the cofounder and not here to sell my products. Just wanted to weigh in on things.

First, Dream Hammocks - I'm sorry that we are using what is essentially your legal disclaimer. This will be fixed today. I've been making websites for about 10 years now and in all honesty, every site that has ever included a disclaimer has pulled it from another site (at the client's request). That doesn't make it right - and I hope you'll forgive us. In terms of page views - I think you guys are the first people to actually read it

Making our Hammock
    We didn't start Bush Smarts to become a hammock company. After asking several manufacturers (many on this forum), no one wanted to wholesale, design what we wanted or accommodate our ideas otherwise so we designed it ourselves. As you guys noted, there's lots of things that other hammocks feature as well, but as a collection of features, style materials and origin I think we have a place in the market. We researched all the patents and steered clear of design encroachment as best as we know how. That being said, we aren't a hammock company, we just include it in our product line.

Media / Our Customers
    Everything people write about us, is embellished by the media. All perceptions are elevated, because journalists want page views and reality unfortunately doesn't sell very well (for them). There's also this perception that our customers are hipsters in Brooklyn and the ultra-wealthy in California. That also isn't a reality. We ship all over the country, and surprisingly the midwest is a significant market for us. NY is actually one of the smallest. We've had people say our gear isn't "real gear" and then a fan will send us a picture of our gear next to a bagged deer on a recent hunt - that's real enough in my book.

Private Labeling
    The Kuksa example is exactly correct. It's called private labeling in the retail world and is quite common in the outdoor industry. For instance, all Gregory, EMS and a few other packs are all made in the same factory and labeled separately. We buy that cup from Finland and modify it, with a private label. Every company that we do this with knows that we are doing this and is happy to do it because they appreciate that people like their products and have found a new avenue to sell them.

Why Bush Smarts?
    John and I worked for a big box outdoor retailer, and realized that there's a whole market of people that are bored with out-of-the-box outdoor gear, made in China, with no real sense of longevity. We both worked in design and just started playing around with some gear design and modification and eventually called it Bush Smarts. Our ultimate goal is creating a company around what we think is a perfect kit of gear for an extended weekend trek - whether we make it, private label it or resell it directly. We're not an ultralight gear company, and we try to make everything the way it is for a good reason. We use our gear in the field all the time, and honestly - it works, so we're happy with it.

Stay in touch
    I'm not good at keeping up with forums. If anyone wants to contact me directly about anything just PM me or email me kevin@(my company). It would be cool if we could be included in growing hammock appreciation with you guys.

Take Care,
    Kevin

Uber-Noob Extraordinaire Short White Guy's Avatar
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Army Bag/Pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for chiming in, Kevin. I always appreciate hearing things straight from the source.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.