Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    New Member Leebums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast U.S.
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Posts
    49
    Images
    3

    Question A few questions before making my final purchase

    Alright, so Christmas time is here and presents are soon to be orderd. Im a newcomer to the hammock life, but have been all over these forums learning more and more each time.
    I think I am going to be purchasing a HH Explorer Deluxe, was curious as to which set of webbing straps to pick with it in this screen:

    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/c..._asym_classic/


    Which webbing is the best? I noticed there are (3) different sizes or lengths
    - 42''
    - 72''
    - 94''

    Just longer straps for hanging the hammock?


    Also, isn't the Hex Rainfly the better option? or cover a larger area?


    Also, should I add in the Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL ? for insulation, or the Over Cover #2 ?

    I plan on getting the SuperSheleter so due keep that in mind.

    But couldn't I find better insulation pads on the web and/or from another company? Are there not better pads for your money out there/

    Looking to be able to sleep in cold snowy weather conditions. (but mostly warmer weather, just wanna be prepared for snow.)






    (If this shows, this is my final order before purchasing) what are your thoughts.

    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/c..._asym_classic/

  2. #2
    Jcavenagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    22
    Get the longest straps. Extra strap is not a problem, but not enough length is a problem.

    Get the Hex tarp. Much better coverage, especially since you are new to hammock camping. It is easier and you will feel more at ease.

    As for the pad, I don't know. I would recommend an underquilt. I used a pad at first, but finally threw for an underquilt. It is warmer and more comfortable. Also, with a UQ you can vent if it is troo warm, so you get a wider usable temp range.

    One more thing, order the side zip model. You will find it much more user friendly than the bottom entry. I had a bottom entry HH, but once I got a side zip, I never used the bottom entry anymore.
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 12-20-2013 at 20:52.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    New Member Leebums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast U.S.
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Posts
    49
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Get the longest straps. Extra strap is not a problem, but not enough length is a problem.

    Get the Hex tarp. Much better coverage, especially since you are new to hammock camping. It is easier and you will feel more at ease.

    As for the pad, I don't know. I would recommend an underquilt. I used a pad at first, but finally through fore an underquilt. It is warmer and more comfortable. Also, with a UQ you can vent if it is troo warm, so you get a wider usable temp range.

    One more thing, order the side zip model. You will find it much more user friendly than the bottom entry. I had a bottom entry HH, but once I got a side zip, I never used the bottom entry anymore.


    Ok great, thank you for the insight. My thoughts on the zip vs classic; I live in an area where mosquitoes are very heavly populated and I keep hearing that the B.E. (bottom entry) is better for them, also I know that I can send it off to be modified and have the zipper added, I emailed and asked HH if they would addhe zipper for me, but they don't do it

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Hammock
    TC SL or DL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Marmot Sawtooth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    169
    I agree with the longer straps being the better idea. Any extra strap length you can always use up by making extra passes around the tree you want to hang from.

    I also agree with getting an underquilt. It's just my personal preference, but it seems to me that an underquilt will cover more area than just a pad and thereby be much warmer. Even if your overquilt tucks nicely around you and your pad, the larger underquilt would still be warmer due to insulation overlap. You may find situations where you want both an underquilt and a pad if it gets cold enough. You could also try a sheet of Reflectix as supplemental insulation (coincidentally it looks like the exact same material as the Double Bubble pad). I have some at home but have yet to get the time to take it out for a spin....maybe this weekend.

    I have the hex rainfly and I love it. Yes it is bigger, bulkier and heavier but I really prefer having the extra covered area, especially if the rain is comin down.

    I would also suggest the side-zip model. Again, personal preference.

  5. #5
    New Member Leebums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast U.S.
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Posts
    49
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    I agree with the longer straps being the better idea. Any extra strap length you can always use up by making extra passes around the tree you want to hang from.

    I also agree with getting an underquilt. It's just my personal preference, but it seems to me that an underquilt will cover more area than just a pad and thereby be much warmer. Even if your overquilt tucks nicely around you and your pad, the larger underquilt would still be warmer due to insulation overlap. You may find situations where you want both an underquilt and a pad if it gets cold enough. You could also try a sheet of Reflectix as supplemental insulation (coincidentally it looks like the exact same material as the Double Bubble pad). I have some at home but have yet to get the time to take it out for a spin....maybe this weekend.

    I have the hex rainfly and I love it. Yes it is bigger, bulkier and heavier but I really prefer having the extra covered area, especially if the rain is comin down.

    I would also suggest the side-zip model. Again, personal preference.
    Could you and/or someone explain to me the difference between a underquilt, over quilt, and a pad?

    Do you need a sleeping bag when using these?

    Also thank you for your insight.

  6. #6
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebums View Post
    Could you and/or someone explain to me the difference between a underquilt, over quilt, and a pad?

    Do you need a sleeping bag when using these?

    Also thank you for your insight.
    Underquilt - Attached under the hammock, made from a nylon material with either a synthetic or down insulation.

    Over Quilt - I assume her you mean Top Quilt. Like a sleeping back sans the zipper.

    Pad - A closed cell or an inflatable camping pad. Great for ground but a pain in a hammock.

    Watch this video series put together by Shug https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15516 It's very informative and covers every question you have in detail.

  7. #7
    New Member Leebums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast U.S.
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Posts
    49
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    Underquilt - Attached under the hammock, made from a nylon material with either a synthetic or down insulation.

    Over Quilt - I assume her you mean Top Quilt. Like a sleeping back sans the zipper.

    Pad - A closed cell or an inflatable camping pad. Great for ground but a pain in a hammock.

    Watch this video series put together by Shug https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15516 It's very informative and covers every question you have in detail.
    Ahh ok, and yes I did mean top quilt, still learning


    So no Pad for hammocks? Also is the Super Shelter considered an underquilt?

  8. #8
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebums View Post
    Ahh ok, and yes I did mean top quilt, still learning


    So no Pad for hammocks? Also is the Super Shelter considered an underquilt?
    I believe it's more of an under pad. A thin layer of foam with an aluminized (is that a word?) surface to reflect your body heat back up.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    iowa city, iowa
    Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    150
    I would not say no pad in ANY hammock. It can be a pain in a single layer but in a double layer it is great. I use mine with a pad in the warmer months as my only bottom insulation and in the winter as an extra layer for warmth in the winter.

  10. #10
    New Member Leebums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast U.S.
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Posts
    49
    Images
    3
    Is the Super Shelter worth getting ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •