Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    On thing to consider with the Big Agnes system is that its not ideal for side sleepers since you can't roll with the bag.
    Folks reviewing BA bags claim ou can as they tend to a little wider than most mummy bags. Of course, YMMV. I have the BA Dual Core pad with a Coleman mummy bag and I've adapted to the ballancing act one goes through to stay perched on the pad. Hence the idea of a BA bag (thinking of Savery SL)

I bought the BA pad for Philmont Cavalcade (horseback) where all our gear had to fit in a provided stuff sack and your saddle bags. My self-inflating Therma-rest pad would not fit, nor an ocf or ccf pads. So it was a good choice. I mostly camp with the Scouts an often we camp where tree hanging may not be suitable, hence my thought on leveraging the BA pad.

It's not just an air mattress as it has insulation. "PrimaLoft Eco synthetic insulation made from 50% recycled materials layered with high density foam to make our warmest air chamber pad " Although they don't provide any numbers, they rate it to 0 degrees, but I find that optimistic.

My first test will be to try it inside the HH deflatd with my regular bag and see how hat works. I also picked up one of the large Wal-Martwindow shields (not the truck size as they didn't have it and see how that goes.

Javaman,

"BA bag
    HH
    Space/emergency blanket as vapor barrier and reflective heat insulation
    OCF HH pad
    SS
    KAQ (can also be hung inside the SS as long as the space/Emergency blanket is in place as a vapor barrier)."

Doesn't the mylar blanket against the HH (on top of the other insulation) cause condensation? I read the ThermoDrape thread with interest. First it's appeas to be a ove aluminum product, as appossed to mylar or oher polymer. Second, FishinFinn sewed a wool backing onto it and found that it was just as effective wool side up. The radiant attributes work either way as the backing is invisible to radiant heat waves and the backing seems to wick any moisture away. I wonder if one could sew on a NeatSheet backing to a HeatSheet blanket to acheive the same end, since it seems that the ThermoDrape product may no longer be availale.

Finally with regards to KAQ and JRB products. I've been reading up on them too. It sounds like a KAQ could be used as an anti-3 season product, Fall, Wintr and Spring. But do folks use it in the summer for moderate temps, say in the 40's & 50's?

Thanks all for your ideas.

Bill

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    Welcome billvann.
    Also, change the suspension system, i recommend the ring buckles... check it out, plus other alternatives, here.
    I noticed that one alternative on Just Jeff's site is to use rings atached to the HH cord via a prissik knot. This seems to be a good first step that doesn't require irreversable modifications!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billvann View Post
    I noticed that one alternative on Just Jeff's site is to use rings atached to the HH cord via a prissik knot. This seems to be a good first step that doesn't require irreversable modifications!
    Don't be surprised if you get fed up with all the spaghetti (ropes,webbing and such) and just hack them ropes off using the nearest ground hog you can capture.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12