Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    adjustable straps

What is the best used metal sewing machine for the price?

I just bought a brand new Brother CE11000PRW, which works great for most applications. But, I was surprised at all of the flimsy plastic parts and I am not very confidence it could handle 2 layers of packcloth.

I used to work in a shop repairing sails and I loved those burly all metal machines. However, those machines were pretty high end and, TF, expensive.

I'd like to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-5 hundred for a used, good quality, reliable machine, preferably one that has readily available parts. I want it to handle heavier fabrics like packcloth. Being able to do a bar tack would be gravy.

Any suggestions?

What should I look for in terms of features?

Is my price range in the ballpark or wishful thinking?
    I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity. -Hazel Lee

Uber-Noob Extraordinaire Short White Guy's Avatar
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Army Bag/Pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I know it's not a used machine, but I've been very happy with my Baby Lock BL20A "Anna". It's in your price range as a brand new machine, has an all-metal frame, and has taken everything I've thrown at it so far. The lady that sold me mine demonstrated sewing through multiple layers of denim in the store. They're not available online, but there are a few authorized dealers in your area. The MSRP is $400, but, at least in my area, sales on this model are common. I got mine for $200. I hope this helps.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Short White Guy View Post
    has an all-metal frame,
    I don't know this machine at all so I will not comment on this particular usage. But be careful of this kind of statement. IMO the _frame_ of a sewing machine is much less prone to wear and damage than the moving gears and other parts. A metal frame is not much of a selling point in my book. As I say, I don't know this machine at all so the above may not be applicable but I have seen this kind of statement in some ads for machines I know are cheapos. "All metal frame warranted for five years." Give me a break...

That said, I've heard good things about the babylock machines in general.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH