WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    burrow, incubator
    Suspension
    Stock adj webbing
    Images
    Well, we didn't make it too far... We dropped off before the trails split. We found the remains of an old stone bridge or possible dam, Parker falls and cascades. We climbed out over the ridge just before Hubbard. We only saw something similar to a trail around Parker falls. If there is a trail through the area, we never found it.

There must be an easier way through there. We want to go back and finish the loop.
    I haven't yet made a custom signature.

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    There is not a real loop trail- it's just a bushwhack. There are several tracks and game trails from 201 into Parker. There is a "shortcut" trail in from Kinlock Road too. I've never used it, but I hear it's an easier way in. I think it comes in to Parker just above the falls. People probably take different paths down the canyon because it is so rough. Sometimes you climb up and around, sometimes you just get in the water. I guess that's why the trail fades in and out. We just waded downstream when we got to Hubbard, and then headed up Quillan. It saved some time and was much easier than fighting the vegetation. That was a fun trip.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Trash bags & tape!
    Insulation
    Thin mummy bag.
    Suspension
    1" webbing.
    I grew up not far from this area, and I'm overdue for a trip back to see family. I'm going to have to plan some time to do some exploring! Thanks for bringing this up, guys.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I actually started this thread a while back but then got hit hard with the flu and then bronchitis. But I have enjoyed catching up on all the trail talk over the weekend.

A couple other questions:

1. Are there any markings out on the trail like tree blazes or sign numbers for the main trails? I've been to Sipsey once but it has been a LONG time and I can't remember.

2. Are there any camping rules I should be aware of as far as where it is ok (or not ok) to camp? Also - campfires (other than the obvious - using fallen wood and making sure it is extinguished).

I saw somewhere that they prohibit parties larger than 10 from hiking together so I just wanted to be aware of any additional rules involved. Thanks!

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    We saw no blazes at all. Just the occasional trail sign at intersections. Some established camps had rock fire rings. I extinguished our fire, don't know about a set rule. Just a good practice. I saw one group of 12 hike in to the tree.

We passed some folks from an outfit called Wildsouth, They told us we had to have a permit to camp. They acted kind of snooty because we were ignorant of the permits. They did have permits and did give us one. The trailhead kiosk was barren of any info, so take that info as you care to.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySubCompact View Post
    We saw no blazes at all. Just the occasional trail sign at intersections. Some established camps had rock fire rings. I extinguished our fire, don't know about a set rule. Just a good practice. I saw one group of 12 hike in to the tree.

We passed some folks from an outfit called Wildsouth, They told us we had to have a permit to camp. They acted kind of snooty because we were ignorant of the permits. They did have permits and did give us one. The trailhead kiosk was barren of any info, so take that info as you care to.
    Something along the lines of camping permits is what I was wondering. Does anyone else know anything about that?

Edit: Just found this on the Sispey Wilderness organization's website:

Permits
    The Forest Service requests that campers (not day hikers) obtain a camping permit during gun deer hunt season which usually runs from mid-November to the end of January. The permit is free and can be picked up at the Bankhead District Rangers Office on AL Hwy 33 about a mile north of US 278 in Double Springs.

So were you camping during this time?

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3/KAQ JARB
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Still trying to find the time to do a trip report on my 01/24-01/27 trip to the Sipsey. Hopefully this week I will have time to post a report and post a few pics. Can't wait to go back!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Oops, I forgot about the camping permits during deer season. Probably because no one ever bothers, and most of the kiosks are devoid of any information or vandalized. The camping permit is required for all management areas in any NF. So, if it is gun season stop by the local office and grab one.

There are no trail markers in the wilderness areas to preserve the wild character of the area. Like FlySubcompact said, they are usually seen only at intersections and then they are made of wood. Also, campers should practice "leave no trace ethics" in a wilderness area. This includes scattering your ashes and removing your fire ring.

And FlySubcompact: sorry the folks from Wildsouth made a bad impression on you. They have done a lot to maintain and protect the wilderness. Not just here, but other areas as well.

http://wildsouth.org/
    Last edited by squidbilly; 02-03-2014 at 09:28. Reason: more info

Hammock
    WBRR/BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Sil
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3/KAQ JARB
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I actually started this thread a while back but then got hit hard with the flu and then bronchitis. But I have enjoyed catching up on all the trail talk over the weekend.

A couple other questions:

1. Are there any markings out on the trail like tree blazes or sign numbers for the main trails? I've been to Sipsey once but it has been a LONG time and I can't remember.

2. Are there any camping rules I should be aware of as far as where it is ok (or not ok) to camp? Also - campfires (other than the obvious - using fallen wood and making sure it is extinguished).

I saw somewhere that they prohibit parties larger than 10 from hiking together so I just wanted to be aware of any additional rules involved. Thanks!
    It seems that the questions have been answered for you. Pertaining to the permit, Winston County Deer Season ended 01/31 so if I understand it correctly, you don't need a permit at this point. I did not obtain one because I arrived to the Sipsey Picknick area around 8:30 on Friday night and the office would have been closed. I did carry on my person the parking pass that I obtained for the 4 days I left my car at the lot.

Concerning fire wood, there is plenty of it laying around. You can find in their rules and regs. to not cut any trees or vegetation for the purpose of burning.

The trails are pretty well worn and visible. There are a few spots where there seemed to be several little off-shoots but they always merged back together. I would avoid trail 207 as it is has not really been maintained since the storms a few years ago. I got off trail in that area on 01/25 and it took me 5 hours to bushwack North to the 208 trailhead. Ok so not to really get into a trip report here, I will stop there.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    It seems that the questions have been answered for you. Pertaining to the permit, Winston County Deer Season ended 01/31 so if I understand it correctly, you don't need a permit at this point. I did not obtain one because I arrived to the Sipsey Picknick area around 8:30 on Friday night and the office would have been closed. I did carry on my person the parking pass that I obtained for the 4 days I left my car at the lot.

Concerning fire wood, there is plenty of it laying around. You can find in their rules and regs. to not cut any trees or vegetation for the purpose of burning.

The trails are pretty well worn and visible. There are a few spots where there seemed to be several little off-shoots but they always merged back together. I would avoid trail 207 as it is has not really been maintained since the storms a few years ago. I got off trail in that area on 01/25 and it took me 5 hours to bushwack North to the 208 trailhead. Ok so not to really get into a trip report here, I will stop there.
    I'm glad to know about 207, I was going to incorporate that trail into my loop in a few weeks but I guess not.