Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Expl diamond
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Dougalcorn - back on post 12, you included a pic.
    What mapping software is that?
    And is it using Accutera maps?
    That's a screen shot off my iPad running GaiaGPS. I've loaded GPX tracks onto it I downloaded from here. That site's great. The pack of hiking trails GPX has a single file for each trail. It makes it easy to pick what you want loaded rather than loading all 150 trails onto your device.

That particular map is just the USGS Topo. I think it's from CalTopo. But I have access to USFS Topo from CalTopo and the USGS Topo from ESRI. Frankly, I don't really know anything about the various sources of USGS topo maps.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Expl diamond
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Called the park to reserve my spot at the shelter and get a permit. I also wanted to ask about the weather.

He said it was clear now and Newfound Gap Rd was open, but that they were expecting snow tomorrow. He said it could be up to a foot of snow up on the AT! At lower elevations like Kephart Shelter it may be much less like around 6". He made several good recommendations:

1. Absolutely wear either clampons or microspikes (which I have). As l long as I had some kind of spikes and exercised caution, I should be fine on the AT.
    2. He didn't recommend anyone camp overnight in the Smokies without at least a 0* sleeping bag. Depending on the circumstances he recommended a -15* bag.
    3. Since I have a hotel in Gatlinburg for the whole weekend, he said to just come by the Sugarlands Visitor Center Friday morning before I start and he would help figure out the route given current weather conditions. He said there was no way to predict if Newfound Gap Rd will be open or not but that it would be fine if I just showed up and we figured it out on the fly.

So I panicked a little on my sleeping gear. I have a 20* HG Phoenix UQ and a second 20* WB Yeti UQ. My plan was to use them both. I have a stupid monster of a sleeping back with unknown rating that I've taken to 20*. Turns out a coworker has a down 20* mummy bag he's going to loan me. My guess is that it will be at least 10* warmer than my bag. In addition, I got a Poncho Liner yesterday that I'm planning on taking.

Lastly, per my other thread in the manufacturer's section, Donna was able to make me an UQP and get it in the mail today. I should have it in time for my trip!

This is definitely my most ambitious trip I've taken, but I'm really looking forward to it. Armed with more information, I feel equipped to handle it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Hope you have a great trip, I'm sure you will post a report
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock