Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4

    Trying to get away for a group backpacking hang, but where?

    So, pretty much like the title says... I could really use some help. Trying to plan the next group trip with the gang of 5 friends but we're stumped as to where to go. This will be a 6day backpacking trip, plus 8hr or less drive (one way).
    I'd say we've just about camped everything within 2hrs of the DFW area, and our best trip by far was to the Santa Fe national forest. Anyone with any input, I would greatly appreciate the help.

  2. #2
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,265
    Images
    7
    Lone Star Hiking Trail. Some sections are still closed, but are opening up. You could do 6 days on it easy. Just North of Houston.

    http://lonestartrail.org/

    You could also go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge just North of Lawton, OK. That's all base camp with day hikes, but well worth it.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Lone Star Hiking Trail. Some sections are still closed, but are opening up. You could do 6 days on it easy. Just North of Houston.

    http://lonestartrail.org/

    You could also go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge just North of Lawton, OK. That's all base camp with day hikes, but well worth it.
    Thanks for the reply, great suggestions too. ...but, did them both already. Wichita was a great time, by far one of the best. Had several close encounters with white tail in our campsite and a surreal moment out hiking with a Bison. Good times.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Hammock
    DIY, BIAS
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    IX DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    57
    Depending upon your definition of backpacking, there are trails in Arkansas of varying length. The Ouachita Trail is about 220 miles from end to end. For shorter lengths, check out Buffalo River Trail (BRT), and Eagle Rock Loop (ERL). All of which are great trails and receive positive feedback. BRT is one of my personal favorite hikes.

    A couple links for your reference:
    http://www.ouachitamaps.com/
    http://www.backpackingarkansas.com/ (requires registration)

    HTH,
    Sheldon

    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. -- Marcel Proust

  5. #5
    Senior Member anvil440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    HF Poly Straps
    Posts
    146
    Images
    16
    How about Hill Country State Natural Area. Lots of trees and lots of trails. Not too many visitors.

    I've been wanting to go to Caprock Canyons State Park or Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Not so sure about the tree situation there though.

    Take a look at Goose Island State Park. Not very big, but there's salt water fishing there.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by netjox View Post
    Depending upon your definition of backpacking, there are trails in Arkansas of varying length. The Ouachita Trail is about 220 miles from end to end. For shorter lengths, check out Buffalo River Trail (BRT), and Eagle Rock Loop (ERL). All of which are great trails and receive positive feedback. BRT is one of my personal favorite hikes.

    A couple links for your reference:
    http://www.ouachitamaps.com/
    http://www.backpackingarkansas.com/ (requires registration)

    HTH,
    Thanks for the good info.
    I would imagine our definition pretty much meets the norm- packing everything you'll need for the time planned, escaping urban life to enjoy the surrealism of nature, and to enjoy yourself.
    We were actually looking at the Eagle Rock Loop trail as a possibility, seems like it might fit our schedule well, but we heard tourist count gets very very high here any time of the year and because of that we never got serious about going here. Any chance you could validate this?
    Oh, and thanks, didn't know you had to register to backpack AR.

  7. #7
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,265
    Images
    7
    There's an incomplete rails to trails hike/bike trail in NE Texas I've heard about but not been on. would love to have someone do a trip/hang report:

    http://www.bikeovernights.org/post/b...st-texas-trail

    http://moonlady.com/discover-the-nor...ls-conversion/

    http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2013/nov/ed_1_trail/

  8. #8
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    3,265
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele823 View Post
    Thanks for the good info.
    I would imagine our definition pretty much meets the norm- packing everything you'll need for the time planned, escaping urban life to enjoy the surrealism of nature, and to enjoy yourself.
    We were actually looking at the Eagle Rock Loop trail as a possibility, seems like it might fit our schedule well, but we heard tourist count gets very very high here any time of the year and because of that we never got serious about going here. Any chance you could validate this?
    Oh, and thanks, didn't know you had to register to backpack AR.
    Dude.

    Nature ain't surreal. Its real. The way we live is surreal.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Hammock
    DIY, BIAS
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    IX DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    57
    We were actually looking at the Eagle Rock Loop trail as a possibility, seems like it might fit our schedule well, but we heard tourist count gets very very high here any time of the year and because of that we never got serious about going here. Any chance you could validate this?
    Any of the parks and/or trail can become congested. However, the further you get away form those areas the less people, trash and noise you'll experience. As my brother and I call it, the attrition of idiocy (which, based upon our very non-scientific experience, seems to be about 5 miles out)

    The backpackingarkansas.com site provides a forum for ERL and can pretty much address any questions you may have. Consequently, the registration I referred to is for that particular web site, not simply hiking the AR trails -- just to be clear.
    Sheldon

    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. -- Marcel Proust

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Hammock
    DIY, BIAS
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    IX DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Nature ain't surreal. Its real. The way we live is surreal.
    Amen to that, Brother!
    Sheldon

    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. -- Marcel Proust

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •