DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have found that larger diameter Amsteel ends up needing less of a bury. When I made a set of Dynaglide UCRs I had to have a much larger bury than my 7/64ths Amsteel UCRs. I know this is opposite of what some have said but this what I found out through testing on my own through several UCR bury failures. This makes since to me because a larger diameter line has more surface area contact between the two lines, thus more friction and less bury length needed. Best thing I can recommend to you is to do your own testing on this. That is what I did and I found out some major differences in what I found vs what is commonly repeated by the masses.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Images
    I'm hanging my UCR/SLS tomorrow for some prep prior to next weekends hang and will do some measurements to confirm but I'm hanging 220 lbs. from 7/64th and have never experienced any slippage. From memory, 63 yo memory, the bury is only 6" or so with a tautline hitch backer. I'll get back.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    bullfrog
    Insulation
    leighlo top&bottom
    Suspension
    woopies
    All else fails use woopies they don't slip 7/64 holds my weight and my wife's that's 450 lbs

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Use to use whoopies for awhile. I have grown to dislike them alot now. I'm sure I wouldnt dislike them if I had some of Dutch's whoopie hooks. I really got tired of them slipping off the MSH when I adjusted them. And when I have all my quilts and gear in my hammock, it is kind of a pain to adjust them with the load on it. End up needing a 3rd hand almost. I am nitpicking alittle but after using UCRs, I just cant reason myself to go back to whoopies. It really is a preference thing but I strongly recommend everybody try both for awhile before settling on one because you never know what your missing until you try it out.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As XTrekker has done, I'm moving way from whoopies for hammock suspension and leaning toward python straps, sometimes called daisy chains by rock climbers. They give a step-wise rather than continual adjustment but I'm hopping that will be good enough. I have amsteel loops and just larks head to my hammock ring and biner to a loop in the suspension sling. At least it is supposed to be that simple. I'll see after I build the pipe stand.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer w/mod3 WBBB1.7dbl
    Tarp
    HH/door & pole mod
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac 0*
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfanboy View Post
    7/64 amsteel is strong enough for me using Whoopie Slings. But I just tried some UCRs I made and it slipped right away.

I am 6'2" 325lbs (sigh), and often hang on trees too far apart. I did a 10 inch bury, and when I tested it this past weekend, it failed. As soon as my weight was in the hammock fully I slowly slid to the ground.

Do I need to go up in size amsteel, not for the strength of the line but for the size of the bury?
    I am just curious if the 10 bury was measured before or after the completion. My first set I had made with a 12 inch pre measured bury and the finished bury was about 10 1/2 inches. I didn't consider it would be shorter after I milked it through. Now I pre measure at 14 inches which leaves it finished at about 12 inches. I am 220# and it holds great.
    I also use a taughtline hitch. I wrap total of 6 times around.
    I used this thread to get me through it.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66163
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!