Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    Stock, slap straps

Whats your opinion?

Hey everyone, I'm Dakota and I'm a hangoholic
    Okay I'm new and after taking in SOME of the mass of information here and revising some of my new hammock plans. I wanted your opinions.
    I am planning on changing the ENO suspension system. I got it as a gift, maybe I can sell the slap straps. Any way, my plans are to remove the stock cord through the end channels and replace it with dog bones or continuous loops. I also want to make 1/8th Amsteel whoopie slings with whoopie hooks and use tree huggers with Dutch strap buckles at the tree. I also want to do an adjustable ridgeline out of amsteel my current one is 550 cord, but I'n not sure how I'm going to connect it to dog bones or continuous loops. On the subject of dog bones and continuous loops which is stronger, which is lighter? Would it be advantageous for me to whip the ends of the hammock (believe so)?

Thats a lot..
    Last edited by Just Hanging Around; 01-12-2014 at 17:35.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    1. Welcome to the site from another GA hanger. The current IS mighty fast if you blindly step in.

2. I haven't converted any hammocks' suspension, but I am sure someone will speak up shortly. For my DIY hammocks, I whipped the ends and then lark headed my suspension on to that.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Continuous loops through the channel will be shorter; dogbones will be longer, and you don't want longer if you're using Dutch whoopie hooks (otherwise your whoopie hooks could end up outside the tarp, when you want your drip point under the tarp). I start with 27.5" of Amsteel for my continuous loops - and I always use locking stitches.

With the ENO, the length of the continuous loop/dogbone may be irrelevant since it's a short hammock.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Ox Palace, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Athens! What SilvrSurfr said will work well for the ENO.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    Stock, slap straps
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    1. Welcome to the site from another GA hanger. The current IS mighty fast if you blindly step in.
    STinGa
    I agree.

Thanks STinGa and 2ply and thanks SilvrSurfr for the advice. SilvrSurfr- You just reminded me I need to keep my drip point fairly close to my hammock. to be under the tarp. I got ahead of my self, (to many irons in the fire), I haven't ordered the material for my tarp yet. Any ideas about the strength of continuous loops compared to dog bones? I occasionally find myself hanging high, but would never chance that with ENO straps.
    STinGa- Thanks I will probably end up whipping the ends and using a larks head at the hammock.

Edit: Dutch Biners not Whoopie Hooks, I slipped in my excitement and forgot that whoopie hooks and 1/8" Amsteel don't really work together.
    Last edited by Just Hanging Around; 01-12-2014 at 18:47.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    I wouldn't think there's a difference in strength between continuous loops and dogbones, though one could argue that the dogbone has two splices (i.e., two single points of failure), whereas the continuous loop has only one single point of failure (SPOF).

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you are going to 1/8 amsteel for the whoopee's use it for the loops. It will be overkill for strength but give you more bearing surface for the cloth. You weight penalty will be a few grams. I am not sure the Dutch Hooks will work with 1/8 as they are designed around 7/64. Depends on how much slop he designed in. If you want Dutch bling (who doesn't?) take a look at the strap suspension setup as well as whoopee's. Weight penalty is not much but setup is easier and shorter. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Nothermark is correct. Stick to 7/64 Amsteel for Whoopie Hooks. 1/8th will be tight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

http://dutchwaregear.com

Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    working on it
    Insulation
    Golite 20 topquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I DIYed my whoopies, C-loops and adjustable ridgeline, it was fun and I have 8' whoopies. I did a 20' tieout for our small mutt with a locked loop at each end. It has been outside for a year now, wrapped around trees drugged along the deck post and ran out to a jolting stop chasing rabbits and balls.

That said unless you are on a tight budget I would just get a whole setup from Dutch. It is a good price for huggers,clips, biners-toggle-or-buckles, whoopies (color coded for head and foot ends), hooks, and loops. The best part one stop shopping and high quality. I've had mine dream set built many times just don't have the cash. Guess my second hammock only gets to hang out in the gear bin.
    Trying out some buckles this weekend along with my Xmas Dutch clips.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    Stock, slap straps
    Thanks all. I'll Probably stick to 7/64. I'm kinda concerned about weight (I'm 180 and my girlfriend weighs 160 and randomly climbs in), but most of my gear isn't or won't be rated above 1000lbs so it would be pointless to go up to 2500lbs with 1/8th amsteel. I'll save weight and hassle.