Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA Central Valley
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Posts
    1,295
    I guess I'm not "getting it" but I don't see the difference between the two options. I have the Blackbird with the line/straps and when I see descriptions of the strap option the function appears to be exactly the same as what I have. Put the end around a tree, clip with biner, adjust at the rings, tie a half hitch, done. I never adjust or touch the line.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Gordzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Posts
    154
    Images
    15
    Then it is not you who is not getting it, but I.
    I was under the impression that the line/straps option used no biners or rings. I believed it to be simply a piece of rope attached to the end of the hammock that you tied to the tree strap using knots or hitches, exactly the way you would with a stock hennessy suspension. My bad then, and apologies for any misunderstandings.
    Embarassing is being the last item in a discount bin.

    No matter where you go, it will never be as cool as it was just before you got there. So thanks for ruining it for everyone.

    Swing looooow, sweet Waaaarbonnet, comin for..to..carry..... me....yawn.....home......zzzzzzzz

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA Central Valley
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Posts
    1,295
    I don't think it's you either. There was another thread discussing it that confused me just as much. Maybe Brandon could weigh in on the subject?

    the line/strap option on the Blackbird consists of some Amsteel from the whipping to the rings, through which those nice long straps are threaded. The knots in the line make a handy place to add the prussik for the JRB suspension that goes with their underquilts.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Gordzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Posts
    154
    Images
    15
    I think it's confusing because what you got there then (i'm fairly certain) is the adjustable webbing suspension option and not the line/strap suspension. Line/strap consits of a 7 1/2 foot piece of line or rope from the hammock that you use in conjunction with a 5 1/2 foot "tree hugger" strap. The adjustable webbing is a short piece of amsteel connected to 2 triangle rings through which a 14 foot lenght of webbing with a loop in one end is threaded.
    Last edited by Gordzilla; 05-16-2009 at 23:33. Reason: premature submission
    Embarassing is being the last item in a discount bin.

    No matter where you go, it will never be as cool as it was just before you got there. So thanks for ruining it for everyone.

    Swing looooow, sweet Waaaarbonnet, comin for..to..carry..... me....yawn.....home......zzzzzzzz

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Europe, D
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordzilla
    I think it's confusing because what you got there then (i'm fairly certain) is the adjustable webbing suspension option and not the line/strap suspension. Line/strap consits of a 7 1/2 foot piece of line or rope from the hammock that you use in conjunction with a 5 1/2 foot "tree hugger" strap. The adjustable webbing is a short piece of amsteel connected to 2 triangle rings through which a 14 foot lenght of webbing with a loop in one end is threaded.
    Definitely
    I have the line+straps and it is indeed a "treehugger" with a steel-tri-ring and amsteel rope

  6. #16
    Senior Member drewboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    604
    Images
    109
    Gordzilla has provided a nice explanation of the differences between the two suspension systems. "Treehugger" is perhaps a confusing term we should discard here since both approaches use webbing straps around the tree.

    What you describe having in your post below is the adjustable webbing suspension.

    The line+strap (lightest) option has no tri-ring, a longer length of amsteel rope and a relatively shorter length of webbing.

    Quote Originally Posted by utilisateur View Post
    Definitely
    I have the line+straps and it is indeed a "treehugger" with a steel-tri-ring and amsteel rope

  7. #17
    Senior Member NorseAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Posts
    266
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I don't think it's you either. There was another thread discussing it that confused me just as much. Maybe Brandon could weigh in on the subject?

    the line/strap option on the Blackbird consists of some Amsteel from the whipping to the rings, through which those nice long straps are threaded. The knots in the line make a handy place to add the prussik for the JRB suspension that goes with their underquilts.
    OK, here is quote from his web site.
    "Suspension is included in the price, but you choose between line/tree straps or adjustable webbing suspension. Webbing is 2000# 1" polyester (woodland camo pattern), line is 3mm amsteel blue (grey) also rated to 2000#. Tree straps have a single 8g triangle-ring in one loop to prevent "wear-through". Adjustable webbing suspension comes with 2 tri-rings per end to be used as ring buckles."

    Webbing is all webbing and 2 tri-rings. Straps/Line has just 1, and is not aadjustable without using knots.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA Central Valley
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    OK, here is quote from his web site.
    "Suspension is included in the price, but you choose between line/tree straps or adjustable webbing suspension. Webbing is 2000# 1" polyester (woodland camo pattern), line is 3mm amsteel blue (grey) also rated to 2000#. Tree straps have a single 8g triangle-ring in one loop to prevent "wear-through". Adjustable webbing suspension comes with 2 tri-rings per end to be used as ring buckles."

    Webbing is all webbing and 2 tri-rings. Straps/Line has just 1, and is not aadjustable without using knots.
    then I was sent a hammock other than the one I ordered. I'm happy with it, tho, so no foul.

    I think Brandon needs a new website with closeup pictures of the options.

  9. #19
    Senior Member NorseAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Posts
    266
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Then how am I adjusting it without using knots? Because I am, I do, and I can't tie knots to save my life. Mine has adjustable webbing suspension with 2 tri rings, too. I chose the line/strap when I ordered. Did I get the wrong hammock?
    You have the webbing suspension. I don't like fiddling with knots either. If you did not make certain the choice, Brandon chooses for you-or you chose the wrong one and got yours by mistake which is good.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

  10. #20
    line/strap is very similar to the hh treehugger setup except for how i recommend using it. larkshead webbing to tree, there is now a single end of the webbing hanging from tree which has a single ring in the loop. you tie your suspension line to the ring via a slipped buntline hitch.

    the adj web susp. is the all webbing option. basically just a ringbuckle suspension.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •