Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    We never mind questions.

Come check out the backpacking folder in the donating member section.
    Didn't even know about it....
    I'm on my way
    thanks.

Edit: not sure where it is.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 01-21-2014 at 21:25.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Check out the bikepacking forum too - added by suggestion. Five people really enjoy it - you could be the sixth.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Interesting thread with a lot of differing perspectives. I'm old, as in olddog, and not that computer savvy. Been here over 3 years and finally figured out how to insert images in a post. Searching is still a labor when you recall something and try to find it. Like a failing memory in old age. Google does help.

Never was much for wholesale changes. Went thru that every 3 years of a thirty + year career. Sometimes repeating the same mistakes that were made 12 years before. You can teach an old dog new tricks but it can take awhile and it can take a lot of patience and treats.

When coming on line I start off by clicking on 'todays post'. Am I going to read every post? No, but I do maintain a connection with what is going on all forums and sub forums. Which makes me ask. Do others come on to the hammock forums and just check the bike or kayak or other subforum and then leave? That would be like sitting down to a hearty beef stew and just eating the carrots.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by adkrella View Post
    Didn't even know about it....
    I'm on my way
    thanks.

Edit: not sure where it is.
    You have to become a donating member, it's worth the $10.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Which makes me ask. Do others come on to the hammock forums and just check the bike or kayak or other subforum and then leave? That would be like sitting down to a hearty beef stew and just eating the carrots.
    I think some of the suggestions for subforums is more for ease of searching as opposed to daily perusing. I know I've wished for a lightweight section because it is virtually impossible to search for threads that deal with things from an UL or lightweight perspective because you get 1000 posts that have nothing to do with it, but may have the word lightweight or UL in them somewhere. So some subforums would be good for narrowing search areas. Like you I just click new posts and look for whatever catches my interest, but sometimes if there's nothing interesting happening I would like to search old posts for info I've never seen. So I do get why people keep suggesting more sub forums.

I think the best suggestion to eliminate a lot of these other suggestions would be to improve the search function. But from my understanding there's nothing that can be done about it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Being an active member of several forums (and an admin on one of them), this question keeps popping up everywhere, not just here.

One of the forums I'm a member of has a nice 'solution' for topics that need a little more space than just your ordinary thread, but are too small for their own subforum: Big Threads. These are large threads that discuss one topic and just go on and on.

Ik could see The Big Newbie Thread, The Big Indoor Hanging Thread, The Big Hammocking with Dogs (or Children) Thread, and so on.
    If these are started by generic Admins or people willing to maintain such a thread with a thread-starting message and three or four 'reserved for future use' messages in it, it's even possible to use the top few posts for important info/links to thread highlights. But then you're already building out the 'Big Thread' idea a little, and that's not necessary for them to function.

Just my €0.02
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Oh, and I could see a ShugTV Thread too
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I see a couple of problems.

Nobody is likely to go back an try to sort all the old threads into the new forums.

Most of us feel free to digress from the original at times. Then there is the fact that terms like light and ultralight are very relative. Ultralight on a bicycle may not be ultralight on the trail but is ultralight compared to a car camper. Or folks like me who ran light for years with a canoe to minimize the weight of portages. The point is you will not find "pure" anything in a long thread.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345