wbbb
    Tarp
    Campmore 9x12
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    If you try it again in a couple months both of your concerns will be taken care of. You will never be truly alone for long, the trail will be quite "busy" and the weather will be much more pleasant. I started my hike on April 10 and only had 4 0r 5 days in 5 months that I didn't see other hikers. There will be people hiking at your same pace that you will probably become friends with.

I Learn So Others Can Too FireInMyBones's Avatar
    Hammock
    Bonefire UL
    Tarp
    Cuben 10'x8'
    Insulation
    Integrated& DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps&DIY buckles
    Images
    Thanks for giving us the run down. I'll be looking forward to seeing you up on RHK in a few weeks and getting some more of the story.
    I can very much relate to the desire to be near others. I love a good solo trip, but after a few days I feel too isolated and run down. I'll continue to push for more days solo because it makes me stronger as a person, but if it came down to it, I prefer to hike with others.
    I'm sorry that your set up got you down. Question from your video: it sounded like you set up your tarp after your hammock. Is that correct? It would make sense that your gear would have become wet while you were setting up. After you fell asleep, that would be hard to have your tarp blow off of you.
    I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. Thanks again.
    -Jeremy

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    FireInMyBones; he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.
    My YouTube
    My Trail Journal
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    Hilariously I usually want the opposite of whatever i am currently in(working on that).
    Isn't that the truth. I fall into that same category.

I plan on doing a thru one day. It might take me 20 years, but I'll hopefully get the chance. Looking back, I wish I had done it right after college before jumping into the rat race. Ah to be 22 again and know what I know now.

Best of luck to you!

Hammock
    Hennessey Deep Jungle Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    NeoAir/ENO HotSpot
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/Toggles
    It's an adventure. I plan on going from Springer to Fontana in the fall by myself. Its been a long time since I hiked by myself.

Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Hi Nick,
    I really enjoyed your 1st video and subscribed to your channel.
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Some of the best lessons learned are when things don't go quite the way you expect them.
    With every learning experience you will become a better backwoods camper.

I've loaded up part 2 and filled my coffee cup.
    Thanks again for sharing.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennssey Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopies, CRL
    Great video. Very informative stuff. Rain is my biggest fear of the AT, especially early on during the colder months.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    I really like your story/video, nickgann! One good thing about the hikes that get a bit on the tuff side is that the next few hikes are a bit more enjoyable and easier (as long as they go well)!

I only live ten miles from the A.T. here in Ga. I have been hiking this trail close to 40 years and most of the thru hikers that start in Jan. have a very hard time. Most don't have the right gear for some of the conditions they face that time of year. A lot of them think because Ga is in the south it should be warm but that's not always true, it can get pretty cool in these hills. Also you don't get the thru hiker community that can be a lot of fun to. Mid March is a great time to give it a shot.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hi Nick, I flipped through your vids. Thanks for sharing. My sat internet isn't great, so you may have addressed this in your vids. as a future thru hiker myself, I am curious how much you have hiked the trail before you went on your hike. How did you prepare? It seems as mental as physical.

Also, did you follow the thru's on Trail Journals last year? Last year was a terrible hiking year, but this one is shaping up to be just as bad...
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Honesty

I just want to say that I found your honesty refreshing. Only saw part 1, but you have a way of telling a story. Will watch the others.