Thread: Wet in Georgia

Wet in Georgia

I'm new & still learning but really enjoying it.
    I may have introduced myself already but this time I have an experience to share.
    I live in the mid Georgia area and spend a lot of time in the north Georgia mountains.
    This past summer I spent a few days camping up there (Desoto Falls) and since my daughter was coming for a night or 2 I pitched a tent next to my hammock as well.
    As it happened we had a really bad thunderstorm one night just as we were returning from one of our ramblings.
    Wind, lightning & torrential rains. We jumped out of the truck and ducked into the tent. Since it was so bad I elected to just stay there for the night.
    I literally slept in a puddle of water. She was on a couple of thermarests so she was a little better. Pearl (dog) was soaked...everything was dripping wet.
    I went out in the morning to find the ONLY thing dry in the woods was my hammock under my Kelty tarp.
    If only I had stayed there!
    Last edited by kdarsey; 01-22-2014 at 09:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl & TTTR Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Aaaaaahh yes. The famous, or infamous, "bathtub in the tent" trick. Been a long time but I do remember an occasion or two with a wet night, despite our best efforts to plan ahead and setup on high ground. "Never More" quoth the raven!!!!

Perhaps this qualifies you for a "new" handle?????
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

lol
    I'm afraid to ask...

Images
    You have just added additional proof to the already impressive amounts of proof that it can be easier to stay dry if above the ground and under a good tarp! Thx for your efforts and for taking one for the team with your testing!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Yep, I've slept through several thunderstorms in my hammock and awakened the next morning dry while others in my group who slept in tents got wet overnight. Glad I made the switch to the trees several years ago!
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome from Alabama. I'm glad I said goodby to the ground too.