DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Waterproof with arms. Might work.
    A large number of different kinds googling sleeping bag with arms.

As far as security goes, a few crushed beer cans and some empty shotgun shells sprinkled around your gear goes a long way.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...so here're my thoughts on the subject.

I've never been up high in the Andes, but I've some experience with jungles...but not in a hammock. I've given a lot of thought about going back now with one.

PERMETHRIN, PERMETHRIN, PERMETRHIN.

I suggest a double layer hammock, with an integrated bug net, well-treated with permethrin before your trip...to include treating the rope/whoopee sling portions of your suspension, but not the tree straps. The double layer prevents some small amount of biting through the bottom, and the permethrin makes them not to want to try. Same with midges and such wanting to get through the netting itself...and it should reduce the desire of ants wanting to crawl in as well. Don't treat the straps, because a lot of insects go up and down the trunks at night...not fair to them to kill them off if they're not directly coming to eat you.

Make sure that your jungle clothing is well-treated with permethrin as well, to include a good hat.

I would suggest a THIN synthetic underquilt/underpad (HHSS is a thought) and undercover/underquilt protector.

You will almost certainly need a gear swap (read cache someplace, like a mail drop to yourself with a way to cache/mail out your jungle gear) when you go between mountain and jungle. The clothing needs, and the insulation needs are both too different to be likely to do with a single backpack setup.

When you get ready to ascend, you're going to want to swap things around so that you're using some kind of pad, not underquilt. You'll need it if forced to ground (most likely will happen), and it's usable in the hammock as well. At this point, swapping over to a good down TQ or sleeping bag would make some good sense.

No offense intended, but it's always wise to use gear designed/intended for the terrain/environment you're going into, and you've picked two extremes that require some pretty specialized gear for each.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Take pictures man and post them when you get back.

this sounds epic.

Hammock
    11' single layer Hammeck
    Suspension
    whoopies FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    OK...so here're my thoughts on the subject.

I've never been up high in the Andes, but I've some experience with jungles...but not in a hammock. I've given a lot of thought about going back now with one.

PERMETHRIN, PERMETHRIN, PERMETRHIN.

I suggest a double layer hammock, with an integrated bug net, well-treated with permethrin before your trip...to include treating the rope/whoopee sling portions of your suspension, but not the tree straps. The double layer prevents some small amount of biting through the bottom, and the permethrin makes them not to want to try. Same with midges and such wanting to get through the netting itself...and it should reduce the desire of ants wanting to crawl in as well. Don't treat the straps, because a lot of insects go up and down the trunks at night...not fair to them to kill them off if they're not directly coming to eat you.

Make sure that your jungle clothing is well-treated with permethrin as well, to include a good hat.
    +1000
    I can't agree more. I spray my stuff with this http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sa...mp-spray-24-oz
    and have had great luck, both with gulf coast Texas skeeters, and Costa Rican jungle creepies. I really does a great job.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have a switch back and a thunderbird. I would go dream hammock. I was in contact with Papasmurf about the Darien as well because he has made the "jungle Darien" and what the difference was. Switch back is a nice hammock but smaller, only 10' and not subject to change. I am 6' and 225lbs and it is snug at my shoulders. Great with a pad to keep it wider, much better for me. The thunderbird is a...well...dream hammock. So comfy and spacious. I will be getting a Darien for backpacking this summer to lighten up.
    Last edited by DeRozea; 02-05-2014 at 18:51. Reason: incomplete

You have a good discussion going on what gear to use. My input is this, my time spent in the Republic of Panama over the last 20 yrs. has taught me that near sea level it gets HOT. In the mountains overnight lows can go down to low 40's or colder. If you plan to spend much time in areas where temps vary widely it could be difficult to have one set of gear to use for both.

The Sawyer permethrin works well although grossly overpriced. If you can find the military stuff that would be the best option.

There's also products intended for use on livestock that are reasonably priced, but there's uncertainty on how safe and effective they are compared to the products specifically intended for use on fabrics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12