Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pads/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie

New to the Forum....Warbonnet vs Hennessy Help me Decide ;)

Sorry guys I couldn't help myself...but I'm JUST KIDDING . I've searched this topic thoroughly and have read every thread here and watched several videos and have decided on a Warbonnet XLC DBL 1.1. My apologies for starting my first post playing a trick on you guys, but everyone here seems so nice I figured it would be taken well.

I'm 6ft2 200 and my main use will be backpacking, hence the 1.1 I'm looking to potentially use a pad for colder weather (I've spent so much on gear lately I'm pushing off the inevitable UQ purchase as long as I can ) thus the double layer. I appreciate all of the great information I've read here from what seems like a great group of people.

I do have some actual newb questions I was hoping to get some help with however. This information is also readily out there, but I've done so much searching these last couple weeks I'm having a difficult time differentiating the smaller stuff now. I did just purchase the Ultimate Hang and am looking forward to reading through it. But here are my two main questions currently.

1. I'm a complete newb who has never hung my own hammock. I will be getting the webbing strap suspension as opposed to whoopies. Despite weight being important to me, the 3oz penalty for what I've read is a very easy system seems worth it to me. Once I receive the Hammock from Warbonnet, what else should I get to ease the learning curve a bit? I've read about dutch clips and all kinds of other after market tools, but I am quite lost as to what I would need and why. Any suggestions? Remember I've never hung a hammock and I also live in a city so my back yard practice options are extremely limited. Unless I can rig something on my deck, my learning time will be on the trail. Which brings us to question 2.

2. My buddies and I do some pretty remote backpacking and like to go in the cold weather. I was originally planning to just wait until warmer weather to debut the hammock, and I may still be forced to do so, but as I'm sure many have shared with me, I'm excited to get it out there ASAP. I would like to practice on my deck if possible to see how my set up would work in the cold. I'm including a picture of my deck to see what my options are. I'm assuming I should just buy a hammock stand (recommendations please) or put together a DIY one, but given I have some other structural possibilities due to having the deck at my disposal, I wanted to ask if there were some options I should consider instead that would be easier or more cost effective.

Picture of deck from when I was testing some ground dweller set ups during the coldest day we had in Philadelphia in 30 years:

The deck is long but narrow. No more than 10 feet wide, if that. Could measure it if there were some options to use the walls, but I'd probably prefer to not drill into them if I could avoid it.

Sorry for the long winded first post, but thank you for taking the time to read. Any and all suggestions for how I should go about anything discussed here (and even things not discussed) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    For your porch you might try this setup that someone on hear posted.
    The last picture is my setup. I got all might pipes at home depot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    On your first question about the webbing straps, I recommend just going with those for some time and then re-evaluate.
    I backpack and weight of the webbing was negligible while the simplicity was nice.
    I recommend either some carabiners or dutch clips.

Hammock
    DL Streamliner
    Tarp
    Toxaway w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB and/or HG
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    You have a tarp, right? Want to make sure you don't think the overcover is a substitute for that. I think what you've chosen is fine and that it should work just fine with whatever pad and sleeping bag you have. Dutch-wise, I don't think you need anything for the hammock right now, but you might look at the Dutch tarp flyz with the zing-it for your ridgeline tie outs. He sells zing-it cord separately with line-locs that you can use for the side tie outs. And you might look at getting some Mountaingoat mesh tarp skins - makes setup and take down a breeze.

Basically, go to OutdoorTrailGear.com and see what strikes your fancy.
    "If I weren't so weird, I wouldn't be so normal" -- scope

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Hang From Posts

Can you hang under your deck using the support posts? I've done that before.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pads/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by doc17th View Post
    For your porch you might try this setup that someone on hear posted.
    The last picture is my setup. I got all might pipes at home depot.
    That looks great, and simple. Thank you! I will price that out and see if it is the best option. Breaking it down and packing it up makes it a much easier sell to my girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    On your first question about the webbing straps, I recommend just going with those for some time and then re-evaluate.
    I backpack and weight of the webbing was negligible while the simplicity was nice.
    I recommend either some carabiners or dutch clips.
    Thank you. I think I will go with the webbing. For the hammock I think the only thing I need is carabiners, so will order those with the hammock and tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    You have a tarp, right? Want to make sure you don't think the overcover is a substitute for that. I think what you've chosen is fine and that it should work just fine with whatever pad and sleeping bag you have. Dutch-wise, I don't think you need anything for the hammock right now, but you might look at the Dutch tarp flyz with the zing-it for your ridgeline tie outs. He sells zing-it cord separately with line-locs that you can use for the side tie outs. And you might look at getting some Mountaingoat mesh tarp skins - makes setup and take down a breeze.

Basically, go to OutdoorTrailGear.com and see what strikes your fancy.
    I forgot to mention I'm drinking the whole jug of koolaid and getting a Superfly too. I imagine I will probably want a smaller lighter one at some point, but the all season versatility, as well as great ground dweller tarp shelter if need be sold me on the superfly. Those tarp skins look nice. Same concept as the HH snake skins right? If so that will definitely make setting up easier. I received a reply email from Brandon from Warbonnet after posting and he recommended some Dutch Stingerz for making setting up the tarp easier. They look great so I will probably pick those up also. Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by OldMart View Post
    Can you hang under your deck using the support posts? I've done that before.
    That would be a great idea but there is a pesky store under my deck! We have the top two floors of a 3 story building on Main street, so outdoor space is tight

Thank you to everyone for the replies thus far. They have all been very helpful, and I have a much better idea of what I need to get this adventure started. Very much appreciated

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pads/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Does anyone have any input regarding this stand from byers?

http://www.rei.com/product/867559/by...-hammock-stand

The threaded pipe idea ITT is still the front runner, but I have a good chunk of REI money not being used currently and I wouldn't mind having something that would be more indoor friendly to maybe set up in the living room from time to time. I'm just entirely unsure if this would even be viable. The stand is only 12.6 feet long, and I'm buying an 11 foot hammock. I could imagine that making for a serious problem, but I'm just unsure.

Seems like a pretty spendy price for what it is, but if it works with my hammock I may go for it considering it isn't directly out of pocket. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe 2QZQ mod #4, WB XLC
    Tarp
    HH Hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    JRB + HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    Does anyone have any input regarding this stand from byers?

http://www.rei.com/product/867559/by...-hammock-stand

The threaded pipe idea ITT is still the front runner, but I have a good chunk of REI money not being used currently and I wouldn't mind having something that would be more indoor friendly to maybe set up in the living room from time to time. I'm just entirely unsure if this would even be viable. The stand is only 12.6 feet long, and I'm buying an 11 foot hammock. I could imagine that making for a serious problem, but I'm just unsure.

Seems like a pretty spendy price for what it is, but if it works with my hammock I may go for it considering it isn't directly out of pocket. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
    It lists hanging range max of only 129 inches? Seems pretty short for a 11 foot hammock... a TDS is pretty cheap, easy to make, and folds up to a very compact kit.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pads/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    It lists hanging range max of only 129 inches? Seems pretty short for a 11 foot hammock... a TDS is pretty cheap, easy to make, and folds up to a very compact kit.
    Yea looks like I missed the hanging range they had listed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Pardon my newbness, but would TDS stand for Turtle-dog stand?

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe 2QZQ mod #4, WB XLC
    Tarp
    HH Hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    JRB + HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    Yea looks like I missed the hanging range they had listed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Pardon my newbness, but would TDS stand for Turtle-dog stand?
    yes... here's the link:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51787