Exped Dowmat 9 as mat

I've use my hennessy hammock several times, but not in cold weather yet. I alread have a Exped Downmat 9. I was wondering what how it might to do fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 way and use it as a at in the hammock. By partially filling it, it might sort of wrap around me. I wonder how the insulation value would be affected with partial filling?

Apostle Paul

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

I use my 9 Deluxe in my hammock and like it (but not the weight!) I bought it used for car camping and have taken it backpacking because it's the warmest thing I own right now for underinsulation.

I use mine fully inflated in my HH, but I have a zipper mod, so I don't enter from underneath. You are definitely closer to the bug netting with it's fully inflated. I'm a cold sleeper. Took mine to Mt. Rogers and temps got down to 10 degrees for a little bit and I had cold butt syndrome. It was the only thing I had underneath me besides the hammock. I did warm it up with a hot water bottle. Used some strategically placed heat packs and was then fine, esp. since it continued to warm up through the night.

I think you should do well with partial filling but I think I read somewhere the more air it has in it the warmer it is????? Have you read that? I've never experimented with that. Just always fill it up. If you are worried about your sides, just cut some ccf pads and place them on the sides. I did that one night even with my wider deluxe when I got cold spots on the sides when it got real windy and it worked great. Would not be much weight penalty. Cut the ccf pads a little bigger and you can use them as sit pads which you probably need in cold weather anyway.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 05-21-2009 at 16:56.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I would fill it all the way up when cold. Durning the hot season use something else, like a ccf1/4 or Neat sheet, etc.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostle Paul View Post
    I've use my hennessy hammock several times, but not in cold weather yet. I alread have a Exped Downmat 9.
    Welcome to the forum. What part of Texas are you from?

I have used that exact set up it several times and love it. It was toasty nice at 30 degrees and I never had the opportunity to go lower but have no doubts it would be great even much lower.

I fill it 3/4 or so full, lay on it and let air out until it feels right whatever that means. I really like being up higher and getting a better view over the hammock sides comfortably. Completely full is too much so I let out enough air to give just about an inch or inch and a half underneath me.

I do not have a zipper mod yet and even so, find the exped very easy to get on to and adjust even with a bottom entry.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF Apostle Paul.
    Instead of a HH, I use a home made top entry type hammock, along w/ an Exped 7 DAM.
    I find it much more comfortable & easier to control only about 1/2 inflated.
    I believe it would have to be true that you would lose part of the insulation value when it's softly inflated, but if it's really cold, I'll use either an underquilt or a ccf pad w/ it so I can still use it partly inflated. Super cozy, luxury!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Thanks

Thanks. Sound like it might just work. I doubt I'll be below 30-40 degrees in the hammock. If it gets colder than that I'll probably chicken out and go with my tent.

I'm in the Houston area.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    We have several Texas hangers on here and sometimes get together.

Counselor, Alan, and I have introduced our hammock collection to the Sam Houston National Forest on several occasions. You are welcome to join us anytime.

• + New Posts