Images

Mt washington weight and temp rating

I was looking at the JRB MW 3 and it has 15 oz of down in it which is the same as the nest but the MW is rated for colder temperatures. How does this work?
    Cheers, Jay

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I haven't looked at the spec's of either quilt but the "usual" way you determine temp ratings is by math!! you have to look at the height of the baffles, the loft ratings of the down and the volume (size) of the quilt. If all of these #'s are the same, then the quilts have the same temp rating but change any of these and the ratings also change. So even if both quilts have the same amount of down (you said both were 15oz) they could be using different rated down, the baffles could be different heights, the size of the quilts could be different.... and any one of those changes will change the temp rating of the quilt.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay590 View Post
    I was looking at the JRB MW 3 and it has 15 oz of down in it which is the same as the nest but the MW is rated for colder temperatures. How does this work?
    Jay,

You are misreading the comparision table.... The JRB Mt Washington-3 has 11oz of 800 pf down the same as the JRB Nest, which is the same as the Nest... It is rated 10 degrees warmer than the Nest, due to the dual differential design and body contouring baffles. Thus no natter how snugly it is attached or how one moves in the hammock it will not compress. Also by design it wants to hug your body.

The 15 oz you reference is for the JRB MW-4, Which is the same as the Winter Nest.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    ok thanks for clearing that up peter. It makes sense now.
    Last edited by jay590; 05-27-2009 at 02:37.
    Cheers, Jay

Images
    i have the original mt washington and it took me down to 0* with only boxers and a T. no complaints

Kayak: that's impressive, down to 0 that is. What did you have for overquilt, pad, etc etc that enabled you to go to 0?