Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Two thoughts:
    1. The reason not to use Amsteel or similar is shock load - no stretch to ease you in a fall.

2. I wonder about tunnel vents near the top of the sock. Bibler used plastic tubing to make a stiffener on some of his tents to get an overhang so the top of the door could be left open to vent. I wonder if you could do a version of a tunnel vent near the top. A couple of them with a way to close them off on the weather side could set up an air current in the sock to give you a small breeze rather than trapping hot air from your body heat. Something to ponder about after the basic sock is tried.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Something like this, but with more tarp?

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1. The reason not to use Amsteel or similar is shock load - no stretch to ease you in a fall.
    Ah, forgot about that one.

2. I wonder about tunnel vents near the top of the sock. Bibler used plastic tubing to make a stiffener on some of his tents to get an overhang so the top of the door could be left open to vent. I wonder if you could do a version of a tunnel vent near the top. A couple of them with a way to close them off on the weather side could set up an air current in the sock to give you a small breeze rather than trapping hot air from your body heat. Something to ponder about after the basic sock is tried.
    Or you could go with a similar design to the tent vents if breathability is vital.

Hammock
    DIY "Treeboat"
    Tarp
    C.C.S. Tundra
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Two thoughts:
    Though all arborist ropes are static I still would feel better sleeping attached to a dynamic line. Even 6 inches of slack in a static line would be painful to fall on. I am keeping my eye on ebay for a short piece of 7-8mm dynamic rope to pop up!

And worst case scenario I was planning on putting a tent vent on the tarp but I really hope I don't have to do that.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Though all arborist ropes are static I still would feel better sleeping attached to a dynamic line. Even 6 inches of slack in a static line would be painful to fall on. I am keeping my eye on ebay for a short piece of 7-8mm dynamic rope to pop up!

And worst case scenario I was planning on putting a tent vent on the tarp but I really hope I don't have to do that.
    I heard the number 70% static 30% dynamic being tossed around. The reason being is that arborists are never supposed to fall but if they do fall not only would it hurt on static but it could break the supporting tree branch. You'd be making your own widow maker.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - I have watched a few arborists work. At least the one's I saw set up safety so they would not fall more than a foot or two. More likely swing than fall. OTOH when lowering cutoffs they don't want stretch as it costs control. The lowered bits won't care about shock loads. Did watch one rappel down when the bucket truck hydraulics failed. That was interesting. ;-) He probably would have been better off with a stretchy safety line but he did not have one. Rappel line can be either.

Re Vents. I like that design even better. I think vents will turn out to be an issue in any warmer weather. If you are planning on much over 70 deg nights. That may be the key, nights are typically cool.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Treeboat&quot;
    Tarp
    C.C.S. Tundra
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Ya, I assume I will be stuck using vents. I remember a very muggy 95* trip last summer and I an only imagine that would be hell in a sock without top vents.
    Last edited by Refreshing; 02-16-2014 at 10:16.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Hmm, I may have to consider a "drip perimeter". I just hate dealing with silicone over stiches.
    You would have to seal where you sew the net to wouldn't you? I may be envisioning what you are wanting to wrong, but if you sew the skirt on the same seam that you sew the net to you will either have to seal that or not depending on your plans.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Treeboat&quot;
    Tarp
    C.C.S. Tundra
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by f k View Post
    You would have to seal where you sew the net to wouldn't you? I may be envisioning what you are wanting to wrong, but if you sew the skirt on the same seam that you sew the net to you will either have to seal that or not depending on your plans.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Nope. In my concept the silnylon portion of the tarpsock will droop past the hammock on both sides and the bottom will be made of mosquito net. The edge where the silnylon an netting meet won't have to be sealed because it does not have to be waterproof below this edge.

The only place I will have to seal is the front opening where I plan to sew in a strip of Velcro for the closure.
    v
    v

^
    ^

What is a tarp sock?, I am sort of new to this and I know this is a bit offtopic but you mentioned it in your post